Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thankfully this is not my chicken coop, but it was a fire I went to the other day..... 200 chickens, surprisingly only 1 had to be put down due to being burned, and the coops are destroyed..... now where do you keep your chickens while rebuilding post-SHHTF and do you have enough supplies to rebuild on hand....?

These coops were roughly 12x12 with a nesting box building that was 12x24 next to them... 2 coops destroyed and the nesting box building damaged....

Attachments

·
Burner
668 Posts
Last summer an acquaintance of my Mom had his barn burn down at night. Not only did he loose a 100,000$ Stallion he hadn't insured, he also lost over 1000 chickens. Fricasseed carcases all over the ground :eek: but another 100 that were in a coop attached to the side of the barn survived. Mom now has them in her old coop. Taking care of them, cleaning the coop without his help, filling up her 2 fridges with enough egg's to compete for worlds largest omelet :rolleyes: while he wanders over and borrows her farm tractor without so much as a "hey!, mind if I borrow the tractor?"

I don't mind helping somebody out during a tragedy but he's starting to take advantage of her. The other week he brought her some of his pigs to take care of. On top of her much older husband to care for (he's 89) as well as another lady that lives on her farm in a sm house that is wheelchair bound. He has yet to start rebuilding the barn. Not sure what he's waiting for but apparently your less motivated when you have free help taking care of your animals. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure what he's waiting for but apparently your less motivated when you have free help taking care of your animals. :rolleyes:
pretty sure if your mom asked apointed question about the timeline for completion of the new barn he might start to get the point.... or she could inform him that as of July 1st it will cost him $2 a day per chicken and $5 a day for the pigs............ willing to bet things start to move then....... but who knows he might not be that smart.............. but your mom might make some extra cash........... :cool:

·
7,504 Posts
Small claims court, each critter as a separate claim, to have a judge declare her the new owner in light of apparent abandonment (no new barn) and then go help her butcher, freeze, can, and bbq the animals so she isn't stuck with them indefinitely?

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
True SHTF???? you don't really. you ENDURE and adapt and move on- God willing. It will never leave your psyche....:(

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
pretty sure if your mom asked apointed question about the timeline for completion of the new barn he might start to get the point.... or she could inform him that as of July 1st it will cost him $2 a day per chicken and $5 a day for the pigs............ willing to bet things start to move then....... but who knows he might not be that smart.............. but your mom might make some extra cash........... :cool:
Maybe it was to much for him to take in,kinda like shock..A lot of his investment just gone..

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Time to light up the pressure canner... Kill most and can them. Get the numbers down to a manageable level. Rebuild as I could...

·
in the woods
1,905 Posts
Wonder how shipping containers would work out for coops??

Sawzall some windows in, cover with wire, use pallets and what ever else one might scrounge up to make them habitable for the chickens. Quick check on prices run approximately $1,700.00 for a 20 footer. Not sure if that is cheaper than lumber, but, it'd only let the chicks fry if there ever were a next time.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Our chickies are freeroaming....so no worries on coops for us.

Sorry for the loss....homeowners might cover it though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts