Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Best answer is that no one knows. That's why it's important to start prepping yesterday. Prep for short term and long term inconveniences.

Does anyone know when the Yellowstone supervolcano will blow? No. But we know that it has in the past, and that it has the potential to do it again.

When we lose our power, and there is no storm, do we know when the power will come back on? No. We may be able to call the power company, but what if there is no answer, or if for some reason your phone won't connect?

The reason for prepping is because the future is uncertain.

Welcome to the forum!

·
cleaning crew
3,113 Posts
shtf when-

1. a natural disaster forces you/family to be evacuated,
2. a regional (entire west coast, southwest, midwest, etc) lose electricity for an extended period (weeks into months),
3. entitlements cut and everyone panic.

or it could be as simple as having a heart attack or stroke.

your call.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Most people I know have made a list of what they think real shtf IS for them, then they have researched the signs for that about to happen (stock crash,unemployment or something). This doesn't include things like storms.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
The news. The media will not miss the end of the world. Whether the dollar tanks or a meteor is coming, they will definately tell you for the ratings.

That said, being a survivalist should give you an advantage being able to read the signs earlier and act decisively in prepping.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,529 Posts
There's no step one, step two, step three to a crisis. The trick is to be as prepared as possible for "whatever might happen", keep your eyes open and stay alert. Few things just happen suddenly without some form of warning. You can't do anything about the ones that do. But you can stay alert for the other ones and try to react quickly, before the sheeple do.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Well, it's not as if the amount of hysterical screaming on this board will give you a clue. It's ALWAYS full of people loudly predicting the imminent and unavoidable end of the the world... :mad:

Read newspapers; they may seem archaic, but they provide detail and balance you don't get from talking heads, YouTube videos, and five second talking points. Keep your eyes open; unless a meteor nobody saw until too late zips in and does unto us as was done unto the dinosaurs, a disaster is not going to come out of nowhere. You'll see it coming, and if you have a sufficient understanding of what's going on, maybe be able to recognize it for what it is. AVOID Internet cranks who say they know someone on the inside and have secret information, or who insist that some obscure fiscal or political maneuver or act is going to bring us down; the batting average of such is zero so far, I doubt that will change. Research things you don't understand, don't focus so much on a hypothetical BIG disaster that you ignore possible smaller, personal ones looming, maintain your preps, stay calm, and keep in mind you may not realize the fecal material has impacted on the rapidly revolving ventilation device except through hindsight...

·
Cat Person
1,374 Posts
I don't think you'll have to be told to notice it.

Here are some SHTF's I can think of happening:

1. Civil unrest in your area, ie, crime skyrockets because of high unemployment, the end of benefits due to the fact that government is broke, or some other cause. Essentially ongoing for years in places like Detroit...

2. Natural disaster like a Hurricane Katrina. Civil authority won't be able to be trusted to protect you from marauders later.

3. General, or nationwide SHTF, civil order collapses because the government goes broke, the handouts stop and the "looter" class begins to loot fellow citizens directly instead of via proxy (ie: voting in democrats and RINO republicans).

One special case I can think of for my area: Earthquake. Yes, even in western West Virginia/Eastern Kentucky. Someday the New Madrid fault is going to erupt again. A magnitude 8 earthquake happening there now, in a part of the United States with ground NOT broken up by frequent quakes will be an unprecedented disaster of unimaginable magnitude. Fortunately I live on the eastern fringes of where the worst damage will be, but my area almost certainly WILL be affected by it and there will be damage.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,959 Posts
Situational awareness.

If you live in fire-prone areas, you pay attention to potential or actual wildfires. If they're moving in your direction, you are at that point officially notified of potential S hitting TF.

The same goes for tornadoes, hurricanes, floods. Situational awareness will allow you to see much of it coming--if you're paying attention.

As far as economics, there are several indicators I use. One is the dollar index. If the dollar index goes below 71, there's no support for the dollar and it may well be in free fall.

I also follow the price of oil.

And the stock market (DJIA, SP500).

And interest rates.

It's just being aware.

Does that mean I'll be aware of any SHTF event? No. I won't probably anticipate an EMP (though if tensions rise, I might). There are other things I can't anticipate.

But there are many I can anticipate. So I watch.

You should, too.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
You will know it (SHTF) when.

1. The grocery store shelves are empty or the lines at the checkout are all the way back to the end of the store.
2. The lines at the gas stations are very very long or the stations are sold out.
3. Your government says, "Remain calm, help is on the way".

Take your pick, or add others.

·
... --- ...
14,874 Posts
It's quite possiblle that it will simply happen without any real warning. Then, I'd say that the internet and TV going down may be as good a heads-up as we're going to get.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Happening Now?

Many causes, have to watch for warnings.

Keep prepping.

I suspect it will unfold over a period of time.

Who thinks that history will record the beginning of the SHTF was the 2008 election? ....... Question now, what's the next stupid thing will he do that will throw us over that edge?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts