Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you have your B.O.V set up?

First one is a 4X4 (Chevy) truck with a custom bed set (bed in process)
350 with two-battery set up, one working and one extra with a switch to change to either battery.
Enclosed distributor cap from water (so I can go through deeper water if needed)
Retractable light under hood 20-foot cable with on/off switch
Back up electric fan and protected vented radiator
One Cobra 5000-watt max power inverter hard wired in and mounted in cab.
Custom built panel to match dash in cab for plugs, and two hardwired rechargeable flashlights.
Cobra cb with weather band and side band (mounted under dash)
Cobra marine cb type radio 20 watts (mounted under dash)
Cobra 10-meter radio (mounted behind seat)
KC lights top mount & two smaller ones built into rear bumper for back up or trailer repair at night
Night vision cameras - rear view (hidden) and one (pop up) for 360 degree view
7 inch monitor for cameras
Cobra model 5000 GPS 5 inch touch screen
Collapsible parabolic mic set with 360 degree turning

There are other things that are “special” to this truck… Once I get it all done (but paint) I will post photos showing inside and engine compartment. I will not post any after it is painted for reasons we all know.

A lot of work and a lot of money but I am able to do 90% of the work myself so I did save a bunch. When it is done from the outside, it will look like a normal truck you see on the street daily, but inside… :thumb:

There is a Jeep also and blazer, all 4X4…

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
sounds like a great setup. may i ask why do you feel you have a need for night vision cameras? do you also have military like black out lights? i ask because the only reason i could figure youd need them is if you plan on traveling in a blackout situation.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it does and if I ever need to use this for what it is built for I want to make sure I can see and hear everything when I need it.

Also if I need to sleep in it over night the cameras work for surv' system.

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
Yes it does and if I ever need to use this for what it is built for I want to make sure I can see and hear everything when I need it.

Also if I need to sleep in it over night the cameras work for surv' system.
gotcha i see.....right now my temp bov is my trans am. some may ask why....well to answer the question it fits my needs as of yet and i believe low and fast is the way to go since my bol is about 2 hours from my house currently. so right now as it is i can outrun most vehicles and while it may not be any ideal offroad vehicle you have to catch me first.

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hahaha true...

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot, also a Uniden BCT8 Trunktracker III mounted in the cab also...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Mine is similar to OP, but add a 92 gallon farm tank (aka "transfer tank") with a 15 gpm pump and gas station style nozzle. Added an in-line filter kit from NAPA to assure clean fuel.

No jerry cans for me. (Just kidding, I have two.)

Mitch

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
Mine is similar to OP, but add a 92 gallon farm tank (aka "transfer tank") with a 15 gpm pump and gas station style nozzle. Added an in-line filter kit from NAPA to assure clean fuel.

No jerry cans for me. (Just kidding, I have two.)

Mitch
if you dont mind me asking how much would a setup like this cost.....i plan on get a toyota tacoma with a camper on the back when i get back from deployment before i get to Colorado. this will end up being my bov

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like your addition...

·
Registered
218 Posts
if you dont mind me asking how much would a setup like this cost.....i plan on get a toyota tacoma with a camper on the back when i get back from deployment before i get to Colorado. this will end up being my bov
Northern Tool has them; but I suggest getting them locally out of the newspaper:

Tanks:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=transfer%20tank&Nty=1&D=transfer%20tank&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

Pumps:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329831_200329831

The filter kit from NAPA was ~70.

Mitch

·
Registered
218 Posts
Regarding farm tanks: If you see a truck with a for sale sign on it, and a farm tank in the bed, make the owner an offer for the tank. If he's tight for cash, you get a deal.

Mitch

·
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok... This year will be new B.O.V project... later this summer and I will post photos as it comes along.

Got rid of the others so now I bought a old 1989 Chevy 1500 4X4. I have many idea's for this and again I will do a series of step bu step post and photos for it.

·
See you in my Scope
2,623 Posts
My BOV is in OK shape right now.

It does need a new engine though and I am working steadily toward that.

Nothing fancy like th OP but is is a 79 Jeep cherokee Chief with a winch on the front that came off a tow truck! I think I could recover myself out of the grand canyon with that thing. I mean staight up and out!

I am taking the rear seat out and making the whole back area flat. I am going to make a sleep area in it and the rest will be storage.

I am trying to find a reasonably priced trailor to tug behind my jeep as well. then I can bring all my SHTF toys when I leave.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts