Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
yep that's me
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen a thread on another site talking about someone staying with them sneaking out and coming back at 3 finding theirself locked out and knocking on the door. The reponses from people was running from one end of the spectrum to the other, from not answering to running to the door with a shotgun and racking it to scare them off and to sneaking out the back and coming around getting the drop on them. Myself, well I grab either the shotgun by the bed or the handgun out of the nightstand and check the door from a window where I can see. It seems to me the going to the door looking into the peephole and asking who is it or racking the shotgun is giving a person looking to do you harm a good place to aim to shoot through the door. So what are your alls thoughts on this?

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
I don't completely understand the scenario...someone staying (a guest) at your home....they sneak out. Through a window? Or sneak out before you lock up for the night. Either way, they startle you out of your sleep by knocking after they realize they are no longer able to come back creeping through an open window?

If the dogs don't give them away, or the neighbor's dogs...why would you want them to crap their pants hearing you rack your shotgun on the other side of the door? If you trust them enough to be a guest in your home and they act like a bonehead sneaking out at night...I wouldn't necessarily punish them for being irresponsible that way. I'd let them in (holding my shotgun to let them know I DON'T play games in the middle of the night) then make sure they are tucked back into bed all safe & warm....

Then fire off a couple of rounds right outside their window at day-break, cuss out a few of those darn crows!!!:D:

·
yep that's me
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the scenario about the guest was just what got me thinking about 3 a.m. knocks on the door, my question has nothing to do with the guest, just how do you handle it when someone starts beating on the door in the middle of the night, sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
357 or sks just depends. I have never had one. Of course I meet 3 PM knocks with a 357. It is in my back pocket at 3 PM
I live about 650 feet off the road. You can't see my house or any house around me.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Since there is no point in hurrying to answer the door at 03:00 AM. I'd make sure I was fully awake and armed with a handgun. I'd turn on the porch lights and do a scan thru an adjacent window then have a discussion thru the door before I touched the knob. Then if all appears safe I'd just unlock the door move back into the room and let them open it.
I'd consider someone staying with me who sneaks out in the middle of the night as a rather odd house guest. They would probabably not be asked to come back for a visit and may depending on the situation be put right back out the front door at 03:15 AM.
Peter

·
Registered
880 Posts
In Lexington KY a few months ago, A guy left his buddy sleeping in his car after having visited the bar that night. The drunk sleeper went and pounded on his friend's door around 6am and the 'friend' answered by not even looking out and shot through the door, killing his friend.

The police investigated and no charges were filed. In KY, I guess there's some thought of a man's home is his castle and he has a right to defend it to the point of lethal force...

Not really that similar, but still the same result was the elderly guys who had an ongoing property dispute. The one guy decided to get on his lawntractor and mow the disputed strip and the neighbor came out the door and shot him to death. Again, no charges were filed.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Well my friends and family would probably call me on the phone before coming over, so I would obviously be carrying a pistol with me to a front window,my dog would be barking by the front door. If there is no car in my driveway,then something is amiss. But NO WAY am I firing a weapon without knowing 100% who the person is. It could be a neighbor kid playing "ring and ditch" . If I don't see anyone outside, I may call the police to cruise by the neighborhood. I will not return to bed until they mystery is solved.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I wouldn't open the door first off. Getting a knock at 3am is not your average occurance. I would have my pistol in hand, just in case. Like another member said, we have home invaders as well. I would just remain cautious, check the peephole, and be ready.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Make an assessment as to who it may be. From a high defensible position determine if the vehicle represents something: cops, electric, gas company etc. Often 3 am knocks can be gas mains leaking and things you should know about. If it was determined it was 'the stranger with a crow bar' a warning, and retreat to behind the cross fire. Never underestimate a gray haired old lady with an AK. Half of the cross fire is covered without thinking twice.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
the dog is the alarm and identification system.

if she is growling at the door ---- bring 1911
if she is yipping and waggin her butt --- let dumb son in

·
Registered
81 Posts
1. Get gun. Check on family.
2. Peek from a window to identify whether or not you know the person
3. If person is known to you, decide whether or not to answer the door (or not)
4. If the person is not known to you, call the police and report a suspicious person and be prepared for anything bad

·
Registered
196 Posts
the dog is the alarm and identification system.

if she is growling at the door ---- bring 1911
if she is yipping and waggin her butt --- let dumb son in
At first I laughed at your post but then how thought how true that is. My dogs go crazy at any sound they hear outside. My wife and I are pretty much used to it by now. However, the other night my dogs had "different" barks. Deeper, almost angrier in a sense. Definately not thier normal late night bark. I grabbed the pistol and went to the second floor to scan the area from higher ground. Turns out a neighbor was pulling in from a late night shift and got a flat right in front of my house. Dogs got an extra treat in the morning for that one.

·
o||||o
729 Posts
Interesting...I'm going to play Devil's Advocate for a moment:
I'm wondering if those who are going to grab their firearm(s), first, think they would truly react-- psychologically--the same way if they didn't own a firearm. Are you going for the gun just because you have one? (Obviously, the option may be "good" to have.) Of course, past experiences and your location--among other things--will certainly influence one's response; and one should certainly consider the safety of his family and home as he responds to a knock (or is it a banging?) at the front door at an obscene hour. If you live in a tough area, I could see, and may agree with, an aggressively-based reaction. Someone is probably either crazy, has ill intentions, or has an emergency to be knocking at 3am (at least he's knocking! lol - maybe he just has the wrong house!), but--in my area, for instance, having neighbors who would feel comfortable knocking for an emergency at 3am--it's the guy sneaking around back, not advertising, who [hopefully] wakes the dog, that I'll be more worried about. Granted, my automatic security lights and security "screen door" add a small measure of safety--at least psychologically--for me, at the front door...

If I were the one knocking at 3am I'd certainly be making enough noise, verbally, that they'd know it was "me" (friend, family, neighbor, etc.) before they had to put a round through their front door!

·
SKS gunner
193 Posts
I definitely would not sneak out the back door and try to get the drop on them. Who knows how many of the knocker's buddy's are out of sight? I would turn on every out side light i could and Peak through a window with loaded 12 gauge in hand. If i knew the person i would yell through door and ask what they wanted. If i didn't know them i would stand to the side (not in front to avoid fire through the door) of the door and give them attitude and ask them what the H*ll they wanted.

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
Interesting...I'm going to play Devil's Advocate for a moment:
I'm wondering if those who are going to grab their firearm(s), first, think they would truly react-- psychologically--the same way if they didn't own a firearm. Are you going for the gun just because you have one?
This is a very good point. Until about 2 years ago ,(although I have always liked guns),I never really had much in the way of firearms,just a marlin mod. 60 .22lr(that doesn't even feed properly.) and a .22mag revolver,that I had loaded with the wrong ammo(.22lr) without even knowing it.. At that time , I never really gave much thought about intruders or the need for a major firearm. I live in a low crime area and rarely felt scared. But about 2 years ago I aquired a taste for firearms and have been buying them like a madman every since.I have noticed that my mind set has changed now that I own a multitude of guns. I now keep a .38 snubbie under my pillow at night and usually keep any one of a number of handguns on the arm of the couch during evening hours. So ,yes I agree ,owning guns puts you in a different state of mind at least in my case.

·
Registered
282 Posts
shotgun is my home defense weapon so id probably go for the porch lights first but then go straight to the side window to check it out seeing as how the living room window looks out to the entire length it takes to get to my door and out to the drive way id have my shotgun not loaded but racked back so all it takes is me throwing the shell in my hand in and pushing forward if i had to. unfortunately living where i live i cant get a pistol yet :'(

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I would prepare a late night snack, eat, take a shower and then return to bed.

seems that makes as much sense as this thread............

at 3 am I dont have guests that are welcome for reentry.

·
Banned
653 Posts
I let the dog out through the back door or a side window, if he knows them he won't eat them, if he doesn't know them they're about to have a really bad evening..... But then again you do have to pass over a fence or through a locked gate to get to my front door. Inside I'll be in the dark with the shotgun waiting to see what happens.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts