Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building a 20'x16' bomb shelter under what will be my detached two car garage. It's got a bathroom, awsome ventilation, radios, lights, a well, the whole package. Along with two entrances via tunnel and 3 exits (one is emergency only). Everything is set up to keep working just fine if society collapses and power and water are gone.

Now, my question: Who, if anybody, in my close circle of friends do I allow access in a SHTF situation?

I have several close friends who know about the project and are watching it get completed. They think it's awsome and want me to help them build smaller versions in their backyards. That's fine, but you know they will want to count on me for help should they fail to prepare.

I have told them kindly that they cannot. Included in this shelter are tunnel entrances that can't be breached, followed by other hatches that cannot be breached.

I would like to let them in, but I've never believed in a free ride. What should I require of a person to "get in"? Food, water, batteries? What could they do right now to get on the list of people I'll let in?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'd say you've got a problem at this point they know your there and they know you have stuff if they aren't ready when it happens watch your back. Friends can get a little bit nasty if the know you have supplies and you wont share. Find out which ones really want to prep and see if you can form a group to work together. You know get together and brain storm ideas and projects. Because now they know you have something they may need.
At least that way you'll know which ones will be desperate when it all falls apart.

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Friends can get a little bit nasty if the know you have supplies and you wont share.
There was no realistic way to hide this project from them anyway. Hence the 1/2" steel hatches. One at the top, another one a few feet down, and one more on the shelter itself.

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Boils down to two things, I believe. Practicality and sentiment.

The most logical would be to allow those in with the best compliment of skills and supplies to yours.

If you let your heart rule, then it will probably be small children, mothers with newborns, and pregnant women.

It is a truly tough choice. I hope I never have to make it.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Our plan is "family only", We do have room for a few close friends, but I'll work their ass's off . No work'ee , no eat'ee .
I figure after dumping honey buckets for a few days and hauling wood, that bowl of beans and rice for diner may make them head for a F.E.M.A. camp.
Unfortunately we are the folks who appeared on A.B.C. Nightline on the story about survivalist. So the whole country knows about us.
My feeling is if anyone could make it to our place in Alaska if the SHTF, Their survival skills must be pretty good.
...................................Alaskan................

·
Fun Guy
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's an awsome vid skyy.

I think my best bet is to help my friends build their own shelters. I'd end up letting them in mine anyway.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Having no knowledge of how elaborate your bunker is, or where you live, how much land- proximity to your neighbors, how many friends know about your shelter...I would advise you to get to know them really well. Especially now that they know what you have there, a ticket to survival.
Keeping your friends at your side- educating them on how important it is NOT to spill any beans about what you have constructed...begin building something (anything) for them. Soon. So they will know just how important secrecy is. I'm not implying you should fund theirs, but get it going. Dig, lay bricks, blocks, whatever. The sooner they have something to keep quiet about, the more likely they are to keep from exposing yours. Then they will all have a reason to stay in theirs, not yours. You'll be relieved a little bit that you're not faced with turning them away.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
lol

I was thinking more along the lines of right now. If they didn't want to pay to build their own complete bunker perhaps get them to pay for parts of mine?
Even better: Sell bunker timeshares.

Charge $500/day per adult and $250/day for kids for reservations. So if neighbor A coughs up $500 for himself, he is entitled to entry into your bunker when SHTF but only if it starts on a Sunday. Neighbor B coughs up $1250 for himself, spouse and daughter, but his reservations are only good if SHTF day is Monday, and so forth.

If you had room for 5 adults, then you could clear $17,500, and your neighbors wouldn't feel like they are getting ripped off.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
I would like to let them in, but I've never believed in a free ride. What should I require of a person to "get in"? Food, water, batteries? What could they do right now to get on the list of people I'll let in?

well that is easy you just need to ask your self what do you still need. no point in haveing a hundred hammers if you got only one nail right

·
Banned
653 Posts
Its already pre-decided, and they know if they don't bring their supplies, they won't be let in, and if TEOTWAWKI is viral in nature they will staying in quarantine until cleared. I keep 14 days of supplies for people in the "guest house."

·
Registered
497 Posts
There was no realistic way to hide this project from them anyway. Hence the 1/2" steel hatches. One at the top, another one a few feet down, and one more on the shelter itself.
I don't doubt that I was saying you've got a problem it's like me I have no idea how to hide the fact that I'll be cooking long after everyone else around me is out of water I just got about a 1 week supply if the SHTF hits the fan and city water is turned off. Everyone in my building saw it coming in I ain't getting on your case. I know I have the same problem. But I'm only planning on staying here till the first wave of runners leave then I get out of here ASAP and give the water and anything too bulky to transport to the single mother down the hall as quietly as I can. I'd ask her to come with my wife and I but we don't have enough room in van. Again I haven't mentioned this to her but it's what I 'm thinking about. Your planning on staying put it's going messy I just wanted to warn you about when the food runs out and you have to leave your shelter. If they are still alive it could be bad for you.:eek:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts