Survivalist Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who strips it down completely or just takes shortcuts that wont cost the life of your gun.

·
ROLL TIDE
224 Posts
It depends on how many rounds i put through it and how long it has been since I gave it a good cleaning... if it is just a few rounds i sometimes just give it a quick wipe down and a good oiling up... IM GUILTY

·
In a pile of brass
3,775 Posts
allways completely take it apart and clean it. there are alot of little parts on the AR that dont like being dirty:thumb:

·
"Et si omnes ego non"
246 Posts
Since I only fire my M1 Garand nowadays, its not that hard to take apart and putting it back together. Even if I fired only 1 clip at the range, I would still disassemble and clean each individual part. I'm really picky on my Garand because I love it.

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
As an AK shooter, I do basic disassembly. you know, dust cover off, spring out, bolt and carrier out and gas tube out and then you can clean the whole rifle. Very easy. It's not strictly necessery, but I clean it after every time I shoot it.

·
Shooter, Hiker, & Camper
256 Posts
Lead Away patches will make you amazed at how much crud regular bore cleaners do not remove.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
Since I only fire my M1 Garand nowadays, its not that hard to take apart and putting it back together. Even if I fired only 1 clip at the range, I would still disassemble and clean each individual part. I'm really picky on my Garand because I love it.
I miss my Garand, I bought one when I got out of the Army also the Garand was my basic training rifle. We field stripped it and scrubbed every thing with a toothbrush, soap in very hot water. Dried it, oiled it, DONE!

·
15T :)
505 Posts
with some apple smelling green liquid from a machine in the company area...mmm,kind of makes cleaning your weapon suck just a little bit less

anyone know what the hell that stuff is. cadre just say its a solution or something

·
505 Posts
I miss my Garand, I bought one when I got out of the Army also the Garand was my basic training rifle. We field stripped it and scrubbed every thing with a toothbrush, soap in very hot water. Dried it, oiled it, DONE!
holy s*** when did you join?

you had to have been in korea....right?

i joined 2007,lol

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
depends on number of rounds fired. if just a little, I just do the bore, bolt, & chamber area. if alot, then a total break down. but the Mauser is pretty tough. :thumb:

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
PFC it sounds like you are talking about "Simple Green" which is very common in the military. On my AR I have always used carb cleaner if it has been used and abused but for a simple cleaning I would use standard bore cleaner. If it is really bad then it would use carb cleaner, let it set for about 5 min, then spray it all down with Simple Green and then flush with hot water. Dry and lube and you are good to go.

·
505 Posts
PFC it sounds like you are talking about "Simple Green" which is very common in the military. On my AR I have always used carb cleaner if it has been used and abused but for a simple cleaning I would use standard bore cleaner. If it is really bad then it would use carb cleaner, let it set for about 5 min, then spray it all down with Simple Green and then flush with hot water. Dry and lube and you are good to go.
its not from a can or bottle though....its from a large machine that constantly cycles the stuff

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
If it's my 10/22, and I didn't fire it a whole lot, wipedown, rod through the bore and call it good. Shotgun, same thing. Any of my higher end peices get totally cleaned regardless of round count. Cheap insurance. My carry peice gets cleaned every 30 days even if it's not been fired. Just lubing the internals, wiping down the exterior, oiling the bore and inspecting ammo.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
If it's my 10/22, and I didn't fire it a whole lot, wipedown, rod through the bore and call it good. Shotgun, same thing. Any of my higher end peices get totally cleaned regardless of round count. Cheap insurance. My carry peice gets cleaned every 30 days even if it's not been fired. Just lubing the internals, wiping down the exterior, oiling the bore and inspecting ammo.
hear ya. Mr. Mossberg is alot tougher (newer) than 65+ year old Mr. Mauser. :)

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Granted if I go to the range shortly before work, I might lets weapons sit for a day or two, but the duty weapon gets cleaned immediatly. Period. For if you have a dirty weapon when you claim not to have fired, or in the case of a revolver (you can tell exactly how many rounds in the first six one reloaded and fired again you go by shell casings).

As far as cleaning I take my weapon down to field strip. Detail is only done on weapons than I am secure enough knowlage wise to to due. Mauser based bolt action, S&W revolver, Ruger revolver, Marlin series lever actions, Marlin semi-autos.

I use shooters choice religously although I am trying gunzilla. But I will use carbcleaner on occasion. For the stainless steel weapons, especially revolver forcing cone area, and cylinder face, I used to use Mothers mag polish or Flitz polish. Let it be known DO NOT use it on blued weapons for it will grind the finish off in short order! It can be used to take "Rust Blooms" of PARKERIZED weapons but it will grind off the parkerization in 2 to 3 applications. If you allow a parkerized weapon to rust shame on you. If it's a new weapon the "park" will be real thirsty for oil, One might have to oil it heavily several times before it stops rusting. I now use Rigs Yellow gun rag. It's harder to find but when you do, it takes off the hard to take of cabon in a couple wipes. I then follow up with the Mag polish and Q-tips to get the hard to reach areas. In the end the weapon will look like new and unfired. Perfect for a duty weapon.

For lead removal I use Shooters Choice Lead Cleaner, copper fouling is taken care of by Sweets 7.62 (use a plastic cleaning brush for this). For thick lead fouling in chabers I use a Chamber brush. It looks like a regular cleaning brush but it's stainless steel and it's oversized, one only makes 4 or 5 passes with no cleaner. One will see a "mist" on off lead and carbon being ground out of the bore.

After that I use Rig grease on heavy wear areas, and stainless weapons to prevent "Galling", Then I use US military Semi Fliud on rifle bolts and alike. Then then for the small intricate parts and general wipedown I use good ole Rem oil.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Shoot - clean. Shoot - clean.

Jericho... shoot - clean, maybe.

I've been bad about it. Getting better though.

When I do clean, I go as far down as is necessary to reach moving parts. Spray cleaner, followed by compressed air and oil. Field use, traditional methods.

H&Ks come apart plenty easy, though, and mine have never jammed.....

·
Registered
595 Posts
Broke down and cleaned throughly with CLP everytime I shoot. No matter how many rounds I put down range. And if it's been a while since I shot one of them I will break it down and clean just to oil it up. I'm very anal about my pieces.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.