Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Does anyone out there have any ideas on How to you would cache a fully loaded backpack and frame? What do I mean a fully loaded backpack. It has all the gear you need for survival like extra AMMO,BDU's AND TENT & FOOD,last but not least a EXTRA FIST AID KIT AND WATER.
A buddie of mine wants to have a backpack caching away from his house and the battle pack he will carry only Ammo and others stuff to BUG OUT with,until he gets to the woods where he can dig up his caches.
I told him my BOB weights about 120lbs.
So if anybody out there can help...Please help me help him with this problem.

Thanks James
P.S
We live in the NORTHWEST MONTANA area.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You could get some HDPE pipe in a 3' diameter. Not sure how much this would cost or the availability. It's used a lot in construction down here in the desert. Caching a pack in NW Montana may not be the best idea. I'm sure the ground gets pretty frozen in the winter and it may be difficult if not impossible to reach the cache. Might be to hard to recover when you really need it. Food for thought.

A cheaper method to cache would be to build a big wooden box and waterproof it. Store equipment in dry bags. I feel the ground could really tear up a box like this however.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Goto salvage store get a large steel or aluminum box the military uses to store items, coat the exterior with coolseal for house roofs (silver tin coating) and use gasket seal or silicon seal the edges of the opening. bury in designated area. use rocks toe line floor, walls and to make a top layer. If frozen be prepared to thaw. I've attached a photo, I got ones like the top silvery ones from A-N surplus stores.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
What jumps to mind is one of the cartop carriers. Simply use some silicone caulking around the seam, dig a hole & bury it...

Allan

·
Outdoorsman
78 Posts
Just an idea

Found some caches in OIF that the bad guys made out of old refrigerators laid in the ground coffin style. Buried under 6-12 inches of dirt with a rope handle to assist with opening. Once the dirt was scraped off. This setup could hold as much or as little as you wanted to store depending on the size of the fridge.

-D

·
Registered
91 Posts
How you cache is going to depend on what you want to store.

First off, if you are going to cache water, you need to be very careful that it is either pre-bottled and stable, or if it is self filled, you have some sort of stabilizer like chlorine in it.

If you are willing to break up the load and not keep in all in the bob, you can use the PVC pipe technique (my preferred technique). For a rifle, make sure all metal parts of the rifle are well oiled and place rifle in a military dry bag, a commercially available vacuum sealed bag is even better since it helps suck out moisture, then place in an appropriate length/diameter PVC pipe and seal both ends with PVC pipe caps and plumbers sealant/glue. These things are a pain in the rear to get into, the easiest way is to just take a hack saw to one end, so make sure you leave some extra space at the top, but they will preserve your rifle through almost anything. They also float, can be buried, or placed in an obvious location to blend in with other equipment. You can store anything you can fit in the pipe. Just make sure that the glue is thickly applied around the entire end of the pipe, and then seal the edge of the cap.

If you want your bob pre packed and ready to grab and go (after you take the time to dig it up, LOL) I would use a footlocker. First, water proof your BOB. Again, I would use a vacuum seal bag if possible. Otherwise, a couple of trash bags would do. Put it in the box (I had to make that joke). Then use hot glue and weather stripping to seal the rim of the footlocker. The hardest part of this is going to be insuring that the seal is waterproofed. I would put another layer of hot glue on the outer edge of the seal. Hot glue has the advantage in that it is easy to apply, relatively cheap, and somewhat flexible. The last step is burry it upside down. This is so that if the seal does leak, the shallowest part of the container is what fills up with water.

The best footlocker I have seen is one of the Hardigg's, like mentioned above. - http://www.militarycases.com/SpecificSizeView.asp?ProductNum=iMTRLK

If you can buy ammo in plastic “battle packs” like several sites sell, it makes caching ammo a lot easier, since it is already waterproofed. Also, military ammo cans can be used to cache stuff other than ammo. But be careful, they are designed to be waterproof, but if they have been well used, their seals can be worn out, so take steps to waterproof whatever is in the can, and consider wrapping the can in a plastic bag.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
whatever you use be sure it is waterproof. The PVC pipe is great as long as you use the correct sealing glue. I have to work on my own irrigation system so I have lots of the sealers. Use a two part.

In the late 1960s we found a cache of weapons my great grandfather buried following the Civil War. this was roughly a 100 years in the ground. My greatgrandad had put his guns in the ground to keep them from being found by the Yankee troops running the area after the War of Northern Aggression. There wasn't much left of the guns. I have a bayonet, a hammer and part of the barrel left. It was eaten up. I appeared they had buried the things in a wooden container covered with Tar. The contents were wrapped in oit cloth. Too much time under ground. What i am saying is Caches are not a new thing. People have been doing it for years and years.

PVC is best if you can find some big enough for your gear. Always bring a hack saw to open it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts