Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So......it seems that there "Might" be a prolonged period of bad times. So how do those who have prepped for a bad weather storm or power outage, or any of the things that intelligent people prep for. You know the realistic and highly likely to happen events. Lets call them 30 days or less survival events.

Now some are slowly thinking this 2019-coronavirus might-might maybe require coming to grips with a hellish situation of unknown duration. Maybe even a year or two years. Well lets not go crazy.....we will max this duration not to exceed 30 months. That is not likely...but possible.

Soo..to the point, How do you shift from being fully prepped for a 7 day or 10 day or 14 day weather caused substantial crappy survival problem, to a problem of unknown duration, but might be of frighteningly long unknown duration.

If not the current potential problem.....choose a hypothetical one in say three years.

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
4,075 Posts
Separated out from another thread.
The question at hand:

How do you shift from being fully prepped for a 7 day or 10 day or 14 day weather caused substantial crappy survival problem, to a problem of unknown duration

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
I think we already have a thread on this:rolleyes:

But the short answer is, if Corona is no contained then it will be the new normal. We will simply be living in a world with another common disease that kills a small percentage of the people who get it. The world will be just like it is now, except with a slightly lower quality of life.

Most of the world lives under these kind of conditions right now.

Have more children. Don't put as much money into your retirement account.

Move to a country with strict quarantine procedures and better medical care.

A problem of unknown duration is a pretty good definition of life.

Now, if your talking about something more serious, something that would actually change life as we know it for the worse like a CME or world war,

You do the same things you would for a short term SHTF, just a lot more so.

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
4,075 Posts
We have a thread titled similar to this but its about rainwater and stupid politicians because it sidetracked.

I think we already have a thread on this:rolleyes:

But the short answer is, if Corona is no contained then it will be the new normal. We will simply be living in a world with another common disease that kills a small percentage of the people who get it. The world will be just like it is now, except with a slightly lower quality of life.

Most of the world lives under these kind of conditions right now.

Have more children. Don't put as much money into your retirement account.

Move to a country with strict quarantine procedures and better medical care.

A problem of unknown duration is a pretty good definition of life.

Now, if your talking about something more serious, something that would actually change life as we know it for the worse like a CME or world war,

·
Swirl Herder
3,910 Posts
To be fair, The Spanish Flu did kill more people than a World War - namely World War 1.

The COVID-19 will probably be declared a global pandemic at some time in the next few weeks (it has already met the criteria for that).

We don't know if it will exceed the severity of Spanish Flu - but it may do. It certainly has some very dangerous characteristics.

Exactly - but that requires people with Normalcy Bias (about 75% of folks) to act contrary to that Bias - which most will not. So they will just dither and end up being saved by someone else (government?) or not being saved or just getting lucky (or not).

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Soo..to the point, How do you shift from being fully prepped for a 7 day or 10 day or 14 day weather caused substantial crappy survival problem, to a problem of unknown duration, but might be of frighteningly long unknown duration.

If not the current potential problem.....choose a hypothetical one in say three years.
Most folks simply can’t. It is what it is.

As @Aeriendale mentioned in that other thread, the crux will be surviving thru the dying time. 6 months to several years, depending.

Where it seemingly will appear to be everyone for themselves.

Folks who currently are setup w/water, food, security & durable goods to get thru that time, might. MIGHT!

These folks are few and far between. Mayhaps a handful on here which are vocal.

The only other folks which will come out the other side will have done so via chance & happenstance. Simple really.

Perhaps they connected with a group, or there own community was strong enough to band together & make the hard choices. Whatever chance & happenstance.

The only way to go about bumping one’s chances, and to be honest about it, is to get a family group BOL setup. And truly setup. Not just, “well folks are going to show up when they can & with whatever they can bring”. Plan now, pre-stage now. etc.

There are folks on here who have such pre-setup. It’s still no guarantee that they’ll come out the other side all fine and dandy, however there chances of doing so are far away above anyone else without similar.

Note: it is possible that the random solo/single family units might make it thru as well. However that’s less probable, and more dependent upon location, keeping & remaining low profile. Dealing with threats swiftly. Etc.

IMO.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
.......You do the same things you would for a short term SHTF, just a lot more so.
I think you know that I have a lot of respect and appreciation for your opinion, and what you bring to this forum. That said.....I believe a substantial shift must happen when a person prepares for a SHTF of unknown duration.

At the heart of this is the flaw that currently exists in this whole prepping for survival movement. I have written extensively about this on other forums, and it always gets the same reaction from people, and it ranges from fairly ugly to often angry mob hysterical rage.

There did exist a valid ideology for prepping.....sadly several decades ago it was hi-jacked and twisted for bad and dangerous reasons into what is currently embraced. And what is currently embraced is deeply flawed, dangerous and destined to total failure. Sadly.

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
I think you know that I have a lot of respect and appreciation for your opinion, and what you bring to this forum. That said.....I believe a substantial shift must happen when a person prepares for a SHTF of unknown duration.
Perhaps. I was more or less born into a lot of this so there are some stages of this I never went through.

I'm used to thinking of problems as something that lasts forever, until I fix it, not something I can just wait to get fixed. My car breaks, its broken until I fix it. My house burns down, I'm homeless until I build a new house. Civilization breaks down, I'm uncivilized until I can build a new one. (or die)

Duration is a useful metric for keeping track of where you are, but philosophically all problems really are of unknown duration. So are all solutions for that matter.

I've never been in the position of saying that I only need three weeks worth of preps because after three weeks some other thing is going to happen and magical fix SHTF for me. Even if the SHTF 'event' is over in three weeks whatever damage it did to my life is still going to be there.

There certainly was a time when that was how long my supplies would have lasted but I always knew that three weeks was just three weeks of time to figure out how to make it the NEXT three weeks.

Right now that number would be a couple years...but it still just means I would have a couple years to figure out how to make it the next couple years after that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Basically, I think that the only way to get through a long term / unknown shtf is through a flexible mindset. You're going to be dealing with issues that you haven't imagined, let alone prepared for.

Information gathering and critical thinking are going to be crucial. So if main communication lines are down or compromised you'll need a backup.

You'll need skills and knowledge. A shed full of food is great, but if you have to leave it behind, or it gets flooded, or the she shed burns fown, how will you get food?

Having said all that, I honestly don't know if I know anyone who will get through it , myself included.

·
Banned
9,921 Posts
You'll need skills and knowledge. A shed full of food is great, but if you have to leave it behind, or it gets flooded, or the she shed burns fown, how will you get food?
You may very well not.

Flexibility after the fact is great, but creativity before goes further.

For instance, a flood or fire are two things that are EASY to predict and plan for. If you have a shed full of food its very important to spend some time imagining what kinds of things could happen to it, and prepping to prevent those.

Yes, you should think about about what if you lose that shed, but you should never think "Well, if it burns down or floods out I'm going to go bushcrafting in the local woods"

NO! Full stop. Protect it from the fire and the flood first. Much easier and likelier to work than planning on subsistence hunting.

Once you run out of things you can imagine and prepare for THAT is when you start thinking about how to make it if the unimaginable happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think to see it properly now, you would need to go to China and eyeball it for yourself. Anything short of that seems to be subject to a very significant degree of censorship.
I've seen alot of bodies in beds and videos of people needing food. So, for my family that means we should be able to self quarantine for an extended period of time and deal with mild to moderate illness. That's what we're prepping for.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
A marathon not a sprint
5,045 Posts
Survival of the most self disciplined as I see it , those financially positioned, those in the best health and fitness levels , those seasoned and weathered producing their own organic food . Those who have honed family , friends and community networks to some degree and that takes some self discipline as well to work on your dynamic social skills . Those prepared to think rather than numb their brains . Those forward thinking to put in place security and develop related skills .

·
Bugged out already
4,309 Posts
I initially downplayed the threat of this bug, but some themes are emerging on how this is spreading now that western medicine is being exposed to it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/the-coronavirus-may-be-e2-80-98disease-x-e2-80-99-health-experts-warned-about/ar-BB10geqf

The way China is action now make it hard to rationalize that this did not come from a bio warfare lab.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-buy-chinas-story-the-coronavirus-may-have-leaked-from-a-lab/

So what to do?

The only sure way not to get this is to isolate yourself from the the rest of the world, which is hard for most of us to do. Even if you live somewhat remotely like me, I still purchase supplies that arrive from shipments like amazon prime. The virus can easily get to you if someone who is contagious handled the packaging.

Limit or eliminate travel. You have no idea where the person sitting next to you has been or who the have been exposed to.

Let’s say this thing turns pandemic (which it has, and will probably be declared as such in the next week) and hits Alaska (or your home) hard. What to stock up on:

I’ve stocked up on bleach tablets and Steramine 1-G Quaternary Tablets Multi-Purpose Sanitizer tablets, Clorox wipes and spay, etc in some bulk. I have a decent supply of n-100 respirators, and a huge supply of n-95 masks, goggles, etc. You need to have the ability to sanitize anything you come into contact with. You need to know how to do it. The US military has some good manuals on bio warfare protective measures. Read them. I still have several sets of unused MOPP gear and masks that I thought I was a fool for keeping.

Food, long term storage, mid term storage food stuff, and short term storage (1 year plus shelf life), I think many of us have a good mixture of these. The ability to have your own water source is obviously essential.

This is virus, weaponized or not, there are certain predictors that influence you outcome if you get it. Being healthy and in good shape is something you have influence over. Age, with being old and frail or infant or young adolescent, not so much. But keep yourself healthy, fit and well hydrated are good starts.

The most recent woodpile report had a good list of items to stock on the help you stay healthy or fight it of you get it http://www.woodpilereport.com

Pasted from above link:

“My flu kit consists of nitrile gloves, N95 masks, 70% alcohol hand sanitizer, vitamins D and C, Nyquil and Dayquil, Sambucus, Cold-eeze zinc gluconate glycine lozenges, naproxen sodium, bleach tablets for making disinfectant, Vicks VapoRub, Vicks inhaler, digital thermometer, sinus rinse, and peppermint oil for a hot water tent. There's chicken soup a-plenty in the larder and I'm well practiced on getting enough rest. Anything I've forgotten?”

This thing is starting to worry me. Even though I have been very disciplined over the last decade in particular to get my financial life and investment, lifestyle, location, skill set, stockage of foodstuffs and gadgets, etc all survival ready, I am getting nervous. Once this bug truly break out across the world, our financial and trade markets will break down. Then we are just a few meals away from the vast herds of the unprepared masses taking to the streets further spreading the virus and the obvious societal breakdown.

Sorry for the long rambling, I think most know that’s not my thing...

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alaskajohn.......The good news for us is that if this explodes in the next 30 to 40 days, it will be near perfect timing for us.

I learned a valuable lesson in the massive thread on this forum about "China Virus". Members don't really want to hear that some people have spent decades preparing for high impact SHTF events. It really enrages them.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
My big risk is the up-and-coming go-getter daughter
who is all over the place*** and going to take over the world
before age 30~!

Can't rein that one in~!

***She was in China just before the outbreak became known.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One answer in my mind is: make use of the night.

If (if-if-if) the local all-night supermarket stays open,
then food can be purchased at 03:00.

Self-serve gas is available around here when the stations are closed.
Likely valid for short term SHTF, and if it is not a very big deal type SHTF. But this thread quests for the things that should be considered when changing ones prepping from short term to "UNKNOWN" duration.

If you sit down with two sheets of paper, and at the top of one you wrote, "Preparations to consider for 30 day or less SHTF". And on the other you wrote, "Preparations to consider if duration of SHTF is completely Unknown".

I say the things to consider are different. Clearly if you are prepared for a SHTF event of unknown duration, you are by default 100% prepared for a 30 day or less SHTF.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts