Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In every group there are always people who are armchair warriors. They know a lot of information, but do not put the information to use.

How do we motivate armchair preppers?

Fishing
Hunting
Camping
Hiking
Bike riding

Something to get active and get outside.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
When I lived in Colorado we had weekly meetings and monthly/quarterly activities, the meetings were training and we started showing the stuff we knew you could tell the armchair guys real quick they knew the theory of the stuff but no execution. We didn't embarrass them but we'd use their failures to show others you have to get out and do it. We had a huge private parking lot we did tent setups, fire starting a lot of different things in a controlled environment and tried to get them to see it in that environment and got a few to go to the woods with us over the weekend, but some will never and always have an excuse.

My personal opinion is if they don't want to get out with me giving a gentle nudge they won't get right when needed and I need to move on to other people willing to work with me.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
How do WE motivate armchair preppers? How 'bout if we don't. It's my job to take care of me, not you. If you won't go buy beans when you KNOW you should go buy beans why is it my job at all to light a fire under your chair so you'll get out of it and go buy those beans?

I really should clean out my shop. It's getting hard to find what I'm looking for. Is it even interesting to you? Should you do something to get me to do it? I thought not. So everyone who talks the prepping talk but doesn't walk the walk is welcome to do just that. Thank you.

I don't mean to sound like a skunk. I'm a sweet little old lady who takes in every kid a lost puppy around. Really. But I've seen my fill of people who don't do what they should, and more than my fill of people who think THEY should do something about how other people live their lives.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well at least the armchair prepper knows how to do, the things that are needed to survive, that puts them ahead of the rest of the sheep by a long shot, I work a full time job and try to take care of my property 38 acres, along with trying to make this place self reliant as I can, and don't have near the time, i would love to have to practice my skills.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,785 Posts
I am motivated. I have two overstuffed leather recliners. Case one should fail in a critical situation. I have the backup one ready. 2 is 1 and all that jazz.

Used to have a couch but decided being a armchair prepper was preferable to being a couch potato. :cool:

·
I don't think....so
367 Posts
If you really want to motivate someone who is otherwise not motivated there are only two good mechanisms I can think of related to prepping...fear and anger. Anger isn't sustaining enough and complacency has enormous inertia that typically doesn't produce lifestyle related changes in the absence of being completely scared out of your shorts...so I'd say, fear.

I thought maybe love but nah...and commercial gain doesn't fit this instance either.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The last time I saw unity between the Democrats and Republicans was following 911 when George Bush and Tom Daschle hugged following the President's address to the nation.
For the majority of folks with busy lives and self centered interests, it will take an event rather than words.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts