Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to seafood shells from a local restaurant, basically lobster, and PEI muscles. These have been cooked in various oils and butters and I will be able to get them before they are thrown out. How do I process them, do I need to clean them (boil), what is the best way to pulverize them? I heard they are good for your garden of you need calcium. Somebody told me blueberry's would benefit the most

·
Registered
64 Posts
Shells can be a great source of Calcium; I`m sure they are quite slow-acting (as they are organic) and therefore a longer-term "investment" for your garden.

Maybe some kind of farm machinery to grind them down to a fine powder (as like bonemeal, the finer the powder the faster it will act) or bag them up and pound them with a mallet?

A boil in water should kill anything dodgy, I used to give crushed shells to my Uncle`s pigeons and it helped with their eggs...

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
well, for a slow release, you can just throw the carcasses into the dug out beds and fill in with soil and compost. Of course, thats for a protracted length of time. If you want more immediate use of them, then you will want to dry them out so they can be ground down into a fine media. You can layer them on cookie sheets or similar and 'cook' them over a low heat to remove much of the water content. No need to overdo it here though. I'd use an outdoor fire or bbq pit rather than an indoor stove though. Why have the odor inside? After you've got dry shells ready to process, you can feed them to a food grade grinder. Your regular blender will chop the shells somewhat, but you won't get a powder out of it. A typical food processor will give you a better grind than most blenders will, but you are limited to smaller quantities per grind. This is the economical method. If you haev the money to spend, you can get something industrial quality that will grind the shells into a rough powder. Much more than that is unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You could use a rock tumbler with some jagged media in it, like small chunks of granite.
Come back 10 hrs later and voila! calcium powder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts