Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Silent Bob
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone some wild rabbits have taken up residence on my property and I was wondering if their was anything I could to help that population stay healthy and grow. I’m not looking to actually keep rabbits at this time, but I like the idea of having them around.
I’ve also got some city deer that come through my yard from time to time, outside of putting out a salt block and some field corn is their anything else I could do to help them out.

Thanks in advance for you time.

·
Why is the Rum gone?
4,774 Posts
Keep the predators away.
Foxes, coyotes and house cats are hard on little rabbits.
Coyotes, dogs and car bumpers are hard on little deer.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
habitat and cover,,,,,,,,,,water and feed source
For the rabbits,,,,,,,,,,just construct some brush piles about the acerage they can use and plant some open areas in green succulants they can eat.
Also provide a convenient small watering source for them..........it works and is effective as I have done just that

·
7,504 Posts
Deer like a salt & trace minerals block as much as cows do. If your neighbors are likely to complain, some places (Tractor Supply Co. is one,) carry some shaped like rocks.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Dent corn on a bird feeder.....but trust me you dont want to do this.

Reactions: Moirlend

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
It is incredible how fast animals can overpopulate an area. What happens when you stop putting out corn? Squirrels will do some serious damage to your home, rabbits will eat anything available, as will deer. Do you really want to encourage that behaviour?

·
Registered
537 Posts
My neighbor put out some bird feeder blocks that hang from a decorative stand, now our entire neighborhood is infested with chipmunks, squirrels and crows. I did not know that a squirrel could climb a brick wall until I saw one hanging on the side of my house trying to get up on top of the roof. SEMPER FI

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you want to keep deer coming around your property for years without feeding them here is an idea I used on some hunting property about ten years ago.

By an AG salt block such as for horses, find a discreet place on your property and bury it flush with the ground. Now, deer will lick it for a year or two until it breaks down into the soil. Deer will continue to come and scrape that little area for years. That's why you don't want it out in the open, the deer will tear it up, maybe a four foot diameter area after a few years.

After a decade I still have deer visit that same spot year round.

·
What would Mal do
4,913 Posts
man, everyone here is dead on with this.

We have 12 acres and the wife likes it to be a sanctuary for all the critters..so she tries to convince them to stay close..salt/mineral licks, corn, etc...she does it also get plenty of pictures.
but the deer have a wide range as part of their normal routine and it takes them onto country blacktops, into other areas where hunters and mostly out of season poachers take them very heavily...and young.

rabbits are very plentiful here and have natural pond water in our yard...there seems to be a balance between them and the hawks but the nighttime Barred owls are very populated here and they are very active on the bunnies. We have grey and red foxes as well which keep the rabbits on their toes and then the coyotes keep the foxes in play.
Right now we are finally back up to almost 20 turkeys that live in our woods and feed in a clearing on the far side of our pond several times a day..since they taken to staying close their population has grown, but 2 years back the turkey hunting was so heavey that where we used to have 20-30 birds at a time, it got down to no more than 2 or 3 at best...we'll see if we can keep the hunters from trespassing this season.
the deer come right up to our doors..stealing the rose bushes, drinking out of the inground pool, eating most everything, but again, we have lost more and more since the economy got tight..folks justified taking the deer for their freezers.
Squirrels? - omg!! they get into the eaves and you'll play heck getting them out..we hate to even put our bird seed in the feeders..anything encourages them and they are a nemesis...if there was one critter on the property I wouldn't mind plinking...but alas..the wife has a hard all encompassing law.

oh..and the geese!!! they aren't happy with a 2 acre pond..and a bridged island in the middle keeping them safe from predators and dogs during nesting..nosir..they have to bring their babies into the pool after they hatch and they have mated and returned here so many years and the wife of course feeds them..so they follow her around like dogs..and in fact the dog gave up fussing with them...you'd think they were all dogs.
We'll be just fine if the grocery stores close...bass and bream in the pond, deer, rabbits and loads of squirrels for meat..oh..and thanksgiving turkey!! and yes, I will be giving thanks if someone takes out my mortgage company in the first wave... if they get the IRS, I'll celebrate Christmas early!! :rolleyes:

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Yeah, you don't want to do this. I know the little rabbits look REALLY cute with their wiggly noses, and the deer are beautiful and graceful, but believe me, you DON'T want them to start thinking of your place as a feeding station. Because once that starts, it never stops. They'll go from eating what you put out for them to eating your flowers, your vegetables, your bushes, your trees (well, ok, the rabbits won't; but the deer will, rising up on their hind legs to munch on leaves and branches) until they kill everything. Except for rosemary and foxglove, they leave those alone. And it's exponential growth of numbers: one deer one year is 12 the next. And don't think living in a city spares you; deer and rabbits LOVE city living, there's always plenty of water, people's gardens to eat, and except for dogs and cats, few predators. Especially humans, who would otherwise shoot them. You want to persuade them to give your property as wide a berth as possible, not invite them in. Do that, and maybe you'll be able to grow things without having them eaten...

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
As the number of rabbits rise, so will the number of predators. Eventually the predators will overpopulate and eat most of the game. Then, the number of foxes and such will crash because food is scarce.

Then, with the number of predators down, the surviving rabbits will breed and raise large families. The population gets large, but, the surviving foxes and coyotes will breed also, and in time they will eat down the prey and the numbers of rabbits will crash again, followed by the number of predators.

It is a normal cycle.

Deer are less suseptable as man is now their main predator. The Fish and Game departments allow the correct number of deer to be harvested to keep their numbers sort of steady.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
in my yards rabbits go in cycles.... they boom , then the hawks and foxes come around... the rabbits were completely gone from my yard and surrounding field for several years, then the foxes dissapeared and the rabbits are back. Guess I will see the foxes again soon. Squirles seem to be a little more steady. no matter how many are are killed, there seems to be the same number next year. Other than feeding the deer, I know no other way to keep them around. planting clover or alfalfa would likely be the easiest way

·
Registered
285 Posts
I too have a city place. And I too like rabbits. Mmmmm, maybe the neighbors don't like me helping them so much. I built a brush pile against my back fence. I had more rabbits than any other yard. Rabbits seem to like dandelions, too. They love those juicy stems holding the seeds.

I had so many rabbits, a hawk built a nest next door. And I had to chase off neighbors that would train their dogs to hunt rabbits in my back yard. A fenced yard!

Deer are fiercely destructive around my city.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts