Survivalist Forum banner

how hard was it to get your spouse on board

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Ladies,

I do not know how to get my wife on board in preparing for an emergency? whenever I mention anything about preparing, she acts like I'm not even in the room. and in turn my daughter is not interested ethier. Any ideas will be greatly appreated.

thanks,

·
Registered
437 Posts
In that case, the best I can offer is this. Notice the yes/no parts and the little bits of information:

http://www.zetatalk.com/index/help.htm

It may be possible to get ready with minimal money and be better prepared then 99.999% of the populace. Also, keep a close eye on events; as things get more dire to the point you know where things are headed; spend. Till then, identify and locate resources and prepare a list you plan on grabbing in the near future. Plot, plan and be ready. Figure out how you will get by when things can no longer be bought.

Your wife just needs future events to occur to convince her that times are changing. She'll come around in due time.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
I've been introducing this to my wife pretty slowly. We did our first garden last year and it was pretty small. This time around I suggested we do it from seed and make it a bit bigger. With the economy tanking like it is and the future seemingly holding a lot of discomfort I've been bringing up the subject more frequently. The only thing I've been less than 'gentle' about was the decision to get her armed. I just said flat out that it's my job to protect her and I wasn't going to let any fears she may have about carrying make that job any harder than it already is. She's taken things pretty well - a lot better than I expected her to. I think the key to how well it's gone for us so far is that she knows I'm trying to look out for us with a not-so-certain future on the horizon. We do also have friends that see things the same way and that has helped. I'm not saying that she's ready or willing to start wringing chicken necks or anything but she hasn't balked at getting a few acres and turning it, more or less, into a small farm. She also went along with the guns 'mandate' and has ended up liking it.

As far as the money thing, we're just the opposite. She's the spender, I'm the saver. I don't know how to help you there except maybe that you should point out that you'd be making an investment by buying the needed supplies.

So...go slow, let her know that your concerns are out of love for her and the rest of the family, and if at all possible start hanging out with like-minded people more. Good luck to you. It's a lot easier when you're on the same page.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Simple, but start small and PLAN ahead. I know my plan is technically going to involve you stretching the truth, but you can always come clean later. It is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Prepare yourself for a one week "outage" of everything that revolves around plumbing, phones, internet, and electricity, tell her that this is the test of what can and will happen.

When she hits the roof after an hour of no convenience items, tell her you have a generator, water supply, cooking instruments, toilet paper, and lights etc. She will see this as a godsend and trouble over, now you arent crazy, in fact your the superman.

I would turn everything back on the minute she realizes that YOU can do the things that make life easier, and that it matters to you to protect her way of living and yours.

Worst case scenario is she is such a sheep she sits in the dark waiting for a hand to grab her. In that case I would reconsider who I married. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
You may want to check out the thread 5 dollar preps (I think it was started by highlander). You will find there are lots of things you can start with for 5 dollars or so. I do the shopping and prepare the meals in our house, so ... I don't have to justify what I purchase. You would be surprised how much you can stock up with just a few extra dollars a week.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Put it in concrete terms.

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, we lost power for 8 days a couple of years ago. No furnace, no lights, at one point we were heating the house with the gas stovetop, all burners on full. Can you say...wakeup call? We now talk regularly about generators, solar, stocking up/prepping; most of the stuff we have on hand is stuff I've taken steps to acquire without my husband's input or help, not that he stands in my way or says I can't spend money but he'd never seen the need to prep before.

We were both unemployed at one point; having a full pantry and food put by made a lot of difference.

We just went through a week of being snowbound. Same difference with the pantry, etc., except this time we'd added a nifty little propane heater that we used the one day we lost power [furnace won't run without it].

The Pacific NW is due for a major earthquake. What would we do without power, or gas, or water or whatever? We aren't totally prepared, but we are working on it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Browsercat has some good points.
The snow here a few weeks ago was a wake up call for me too.
My fiance did go to REI and buy a dual fuel cookstove, a heater, a couple lanterns, a bunch of fuel and the like during the snowstorm.
We had no power and lived like kings ;)
(ie I could make coffee hehe)
He is very tolerant of my flex plan stocking up plan...and since he is Russian he agrees with stocking up on food.

·
DILIGENTIA VIS CELERITAS
727 Posts
My wife is so not on board so here is what I do.
I do all the shopping, so when she sees that I bought 5 cans of spaghetti sauce I tell her it was on sale, and I got a good deal. I am not lying it was on sale. As far as guns, I shoot competitively so no problems there. Ammo I buy either in bulk at the gun show (500-1000rnds) at a time or a buy a little here and there. I stash my ammo in few different places so she won't stumble upon all of it. If she did I would be banned from the Gunshow until it was gone. Survival goodies (use your imagination) I like to hunt and fish so I have an excuse for that as well.

·
Banned
647 Posts
she wont let me spend any money to get ready.
Oh Jebus Crispy Crackers,

Sorry, but this would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic. And curtis, I'm not just beating up on you, there's lots of guys on here in your same shoes (little skeerdy baby shoes).

Look, if you have to, try really really really hard to muster up the courage to just DO IT.

Honestly, some of you guys' wives make me feel embarassed to be female. And some of you guys... oi,

Go downstairs and snap off that breaker. Don't say nothin. Leave the house and go to the store before she finds out the power's off. Stop off for lunch somewhere first. When she calls caterwhaulin' stand your ground and tell her to deal with it. Finish yer Costco and Home Depot run, come home and unload everything in front of her snibbly little nose. Don't forget the new cookbook for using the rice and beans (give it to her gift-wrapped, seriously). Look her directly in the eye, do not smile, do not blink. Use no harsh words, no frowning, this is just the way it is gonna be. Let her scream and cry. Extra points if she goes to her momma's for the weekend. You can buy more stuff.

No baby steps, no kittyfootin' around, no starting real slow. That's crap.

You don't have to be mean, you're preppin and that's that. It needs to be done.

It's your home, too.
It's your money, too.
It's your kid, too.
It's your future, too.

Man it up, bub.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Oh Jebus Crispy Crackers,

Sorry, but this would be hilarious if it weren't so pathetic. And curtis, I'm not just beating up on you, there's lots of guys on here in your same shoes (little skeerdy baby shoes).

Look, if you have to, try really really really hard to muster up the courage to just DO IT.

Honestly, some of you guys' wives make me feel embarassed to be female. And some of you guys... oi,

Go downstairs and snap off that breaker. Don't say nothin. Leave the house and go to the store before she finds out the power's off. Stop off for lunch somewhere first. When she calls caterwhaulin' stand your ground and tell her to deal with it. Finish yer Costco and Home Depot run, come home and unload everything in front of her snibbly little nose. Don't forget the new cookbook for using the rice and beans (give it to her gift-wrapped, seriously). Look her directly in the eye, do not smile, do not blink. Use no harsh words, no frowning, this is just the way it is gonna be. Let her scream and cry. Extra points if she goes to her momma's for the weekend. You can buy more stuff.

No baby steps, no kittyfootin' around, no starting real slow. That's crap.

You don't have to be mean, you're preppin and that's that. It needs to be done.

It's your home, too.
It's your money, too.
It's your kid, too.
It's your future, too.

Man it up, bub.
You just made me choke on my tea! Hilarious!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
MY wife thinks I am wearing a tin foil hat a bit. It doesn't help her best freinds mother in-law is basically a ward of the state in her home and stocks a ton of food in her basement. Forgot how to spell Skitzophrenia. But she links that with what I am doing.

I got maybe 3 months of food and I am hiding about 2/3's of it. Being a country boy dragged into the burbs helps my pleas a bit. She's OK with going to the range here n there, but she doesn't like the idea of me buying more rifles. Sold 2 expensive ones and bought three new good ones and still have some spare dough.

Slow is steady. Anytime a big disaster or something else comes up in the news, just ask her what prevent that from happening over here. Maybe bring up her best friends house burning down, or a cousins hurricane ordeal, you grandparent that survived world war II, etc...

Camping season is a good warmer up. Also, homestead hobbies like candle making, canning, dutch oven meals, wood projects, and even quilting/knitting can help. Visiting a homestead museum, a civil war battleground, or a good museum with a war theme might bring up some realizations about her perception of the world. Being prepared is good, but doing the things our fore fathers once had to do can be fun too. Try to make it fun and not too serious, even though recent events make it more somber.

Pick your battles, things you can budge a bit on and things you can't. Whatever you do, make sure she feels safe about it. On the firerams issue, take a hunter saftey course, join a fish and game club, purchase a quality gun safe and keep it in there.

Don't budge on atleast 2 months food, 2 firerams that are hunting based (22 and 12 gauge maybe deer rifle instead of 22), and possibly a raft or rowboat in hurricane and flood prone areas. Don't budge on needed survival clothes too, whatever your area needs. Having 2 sets of basic survival books will be a good idea when some survival 101 overnight cramming might be needed.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm sorry, but I just have to ask. Why do people marry people who are so different than them? I can't see going through my life asking for permission to be who I was. I don't mean to rag but I wonder what it is why so many survivalist type men choose wives that aren't. I know many women who are survivalists in one way or another. Of course these are strong women and maybe that's not what men are looking for.

blt

·
Mom of 2 Soldiers
533 Posts
Maybe she is scared by the way you approach it. Now I do agree with previous posters that tell you to not sugar coat it for her, but that apparently hasn't worked. I also agree with those who suggest that you ease her into it.

Here is a book by a woman and she explains it in a ladylike non agressive way:

Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook- by Peggy Layton

Give her a link to trackyourfoodstorage.com and let her plug in some of the information herself and let her see that it's not just a one time throw it in the pantry gig. It's a use your supply (call it rotation) and then it's not all doom and gloom.

My parents got all excited when I first started my path of enlightenment and acted much like your wife. I let them read this book (it's very genteel- but it is right spot on). Now I don't say "Emergency Food", I say well stocked pantry.

Good luck

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm sorry, but I just have to ask. Why do people marry people who are so different than them? I can't see going through my life asking for permission to be who I was. I don't mean to rag but I wonder what it is why so many survivalist type men choose wives that aren't. I know many women who are survivalists in one way or another. Of course these are strong women and maybe that's not what men are looking for.

blt
Sometimes people evolve into something other than what you once married. (?)

Preps, politics, lifestyle - all of it - brought the end of my marriage. I tried baby steps. I tried a slow introduction to things I felt were very important to my family. In the end, I decided some things were in fact so important that if in order to have my way, it would mean the end of my marriage, then so be it.

Not asking, but insisting I give up all of the things I had always done was too much. He took baby steps as well.
First my camping gear gone and never allowed to replace. Then the majority of my firearms, including all rifles, as I no longer went hunting much, but when he came for my fishing poles, I tell you that was when the light came on. I all-of-the sudden wondered.. Why haven’t I gone pheasant hunting in two years? Hey, where's my beautiful Mossberg? … Where's my stuff? Yeah, it's all incrementally disappeared. How did this happen? I thought, f*ck that, I need to amend this situation post haste!

That revelation was three years ago, and there began the beginning of the end.

After all was said and done, I still wavered, wondering if I'd done the right thing, if given time and more patience on my part, he might have come around. Until last we spoke in October, when he told me who he planned to cast his vote for, with much enthusiasm. This was the most solid and reassuring news to me that I had in fact made the right choice.

I hope he gets a clue someday, I honestly do.

·
Registered
882 Posts
most of the stuff i have we use alot like camping and shooting and you can always eat all the food even if nothing ever happens. present it as more of a hobby than anything. if you start telling her you have to get all this stuff because the world is coming to an end she might just think your crazy

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
My wife and Daughters probably thought I was a little crazy when I first started getting serious, the ammo and guns just caused a shrug - thats Daddy - type of reaction but no help. One weekend when we had company, I was showing my preps and talking about why I was being careful about what I was doing. My nephews wife said I was wasting my time and money. I looked her in the eye and told her, that as much as I loved her as family, if she couldn't contribute to the group when TSHTF she wouldn't be allowed in to eat our supplies.
In addition, I couldn't see my wife tell me I couldn't do something I wanted to do. Just ain't gonna happen, there are too many women in this Country looking for a home :thumb:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts