Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to talk about how people have modified their homes for emergencies. It's something that I've done over the past four years, so I love to get new ideas, and share what I've done.

My home is like an ongoing project. It's a fortress in itself. It all originally started as sort of a coping mechanism. Let me explain. I have to go back a few years to explain how we do what we do.

My father was a stock trader (which is what I do now in my "normal life", and I'm good at it). He was the type of guy that really liked to have the biggest house on the block and the nicest car on the road. However security wasn't his thing, I remember him once saying "there's never been any crime in this area". This was his way of not paying for a good alarm system.

Well one night, four years ago, two men broke in to our home. They killed my parents, raped my ten year old sister, stabbed her and left her for dead. These men had done some work for my dad, so they quickly ransacked the house and left. They knew what they were doing.

My younger brothers and I weren't there that night, but we got the phone call and went to the hospital to see my sister.

After the incident we could never live in that house again. It was a bad memory, so we sold my father's McMansion and we moved out in to the county. We had always loved the country, so it was a good change in scenery.

My uncle was a developer who had built a house about three miles from where he lived, and it was a perfect fit for us. We moved in and we loved it. The house sat on a fifty acre spread.

To try to cope with everything we started to play a survivalist game that for us turned in to a way of life. It's fun, and we enjoy it, so we spend a lot of time and money modifying our home, and stocking up on stuff. If there's ever a disaster, we'll be prepared.

My Property:

Outer Wall:
When you first come towards my home, there's a knee high rock wall and a gate. Behind this rock wall is a ditch that is about as wide and deep as a full length shovel.

Inner Fence:
After you enter that gate, there's a fence like you would see in a horse pasture. It's one of the ones with gaps between the two vertical slats.

House:
Next you come to the house. It looks pretty standard, but it isn't. There's a basement that's good for storms. It has storm shutters. The exterior doors are solid oak with deadbolts and inner chains. It also has an alarm system.

Two Barns:
Behind the house are two barns. These are recycled barns that I bought cheap do to the housing crisis. Other then being recycled, each barn is simply a barn. One of the barns has a couple horses, because who doesn't love horses? Under the barns thou, are cellars which are good for storms and for storage.

Shed:
There's also a shed behind the house. It too has been fitted with an underground crawl space, cause hey, it never hurts to have another hiding place in case of an emergency.

Orchard:
There's an orchard that sits behind the barn that grows both peach and apple trees. There are also bushes that grow a variety of berries.

Alcohol Still:
Yes, I have an Alcohol still. It's hidden way back in the woods. In North Carolina, it is legal to brew your own alcohol, however there is a limit on this.

Water Wells:
There are two wells on the property. One of them is powered by a pump connected to the electric lines, however one well is like an old timey well and is still pumped by hand.

Camera System:
We have a camera system. The cameras are placed so I can see who is entering through the front gate, who is in the barns, and who is entering or leaving the house.

·
I AM A SHEEPDOG
209 Posts
im going 2 start modifying my house also if things get any worse,im also going to make my garage to where no one can get in unless you have the garage opener,i have lots of importnat stuff in there,im also planning on building a alcohol still and putting 2 buildings in my backyard and a large sized underground shelter. one of the rooms in my house will be my offical weapons room. thats all thats planned......for now

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
that is a nice set up, is it you and your brothers. how old are you guys.

Im really sorry something so tragic happened in your life that sparked your interest in preparedness.

T

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is a nice set up, is it you and your brothers. how old are you guys.

Im really sorry something so tragic happened in your life that sparked your interest in preparedness.

T

I'm the oldest, I took over the family when I was 18, I'm 22 now. My brothers are now 20 and 17. My little sister is 14.

The house and everything is owned by me and my 20 year old brother.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts