Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched a TV program called Worlds Most Dangerous Weapons. The top 2, nuclear and nerve agents. VX gas takes 30 micrograms to kill a human being. The U.S. has stockpiled 4400 tons of VX. Russia has more than that and unknown exactly how much exists in the world. I'm pretty old but it just dawned on me, How did the people of the world allow their governments to create these things? How in the woprld can we ever get rid of them now?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Just watched a TV program called Worlds Most Dangerous Weapons. The top 2, nuclear and nerve agents. VX gas takes 30 micrograms to kill a human being. The U.S. has stockpiled 4400 tons of VX. Russia has more than that and unknown exactly how much exists in the world. I'm pretty old but it just dawned on me, How did the people of the world allow their governments to create these things? How in the woprld can we ever get rid of them now?
lol never seen ''The Rock'' with Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage (before he was a fruit)? Excellent movie, tells/shows you all about it.

If their facts are accurate about VX gas, it's some very, very scary ****. Probably last on my list of ways I'd like to go out.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
How did we let it happen? Easy, some other countrys asshat leader came up with the idea, then our asshats decided it would be wise to come up with something nastier to unleash on them. Just like nuclear mutually assured destruction, chemical/bio weapons are the same way.

Get rid of them? Sure but whats going to make sure some other country doesnt crawfish on the deal and keep their stocks after ours is destroyed? No thanks, Id rather them keep the stuff as nothing more than a deterrent.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
lol never seen ''The Rock'' with Sean Connery and Nicholas Cage (before he was a fruit)? Excellent movie, tells/shows you all about it.

If their facts are accurate about VX gas, it's some very, very scary ****. Probably last on my list of ways I'd like to go out.
um. no. not even a little bit.

those 'pearls' w/the agent in it...if theyre so fragee-lay how would they survive a multie-dozen G launch? yea. exactly.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
besides...vx is old fashioned. they have new(ish) chemical warfare agents that make vx look like perfume.

im surprised bio-weapons didnt make it to that list. id be more skeered of being the host to some exotic genetically modified bug than getting nuked.

the people of the world? youre joking rite...? the 'people of the world' are sheep to serve the will of our overlords and have no right to question their greatness. stop the idiocy of free thought and get back to serving your masters.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
um. no. not even a little bit.

those 'pearls' w/the agent in it...if theyre so fragee-lay how would they survive a multie-dozen G launch? yea. exactly.
Oh my appologies, I thought we were talking about the gas and it's affects on humans, not the containers they're stored in :rolleyes:

And infact, the video posted above confirms that information from the film is indeed accurate - Nerve agent, causes severe convulsions, actropene as a counter-agent, etc.

Nice talking with you =)

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Lets say VX takes 30 micrograms to kill a human being. Most of the agent is wasted. In order to deliver that dose to a person you have to deliver several grams to his general vicinity. If he has taken protective actions he'll likely NEVER be exposed. So nerve agents aren't quite as deadly as you'd think. Nuclear fallout is orders of magnitude worse to deal with.

The main purpose of nerve agents today is to force the other military to take protective action. Doesn't deny area to you but sure slows you down. Large scale military operations in NBC environments are spectacularly unwieldy. Sunlight and time both deactivate the stuff.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
They were created the same way all weapons of warfare are created. There was an actual or perceived need.

Chemical weapons are not new. They first saw widespread use in weaponized form in the trrench warfare of WWI

Biological weapons probably go all the way back to 2000BC or farther considering that lobbing a rotting cow carcass into a fortified settlement would be considered biological warfare.

So how do we get rid of them? I think chemical weapons have to be incinerated. The Chemical weapons convention arms control agreement went into effect in 1997. I'm not going to do any further research other then wiki, but it sounds like 60% of the declared stockpiles of signatory nations have been destroyed.

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Alabama?? Ashton I think was the name of the town, I remembering it being a big deal in the news when it became widely public what was going on at the base.
Indiana but click on the link,Alabama had a depot too.It's off American soil now.

Thanks,Bob

·
Banned
6,367 Posts
Lets say VX takes 30 micrograms to kill a human being. Most of the agent is wasted. In order to deliver that dose to a person you have to deliver several grams to his general vicinity. If he has taken protective actions he'll likely NEVER be exposed. So nerve agents aren't quite as deadly as you'd think. Nuclear fallout is orders of magnitude worse to deal with.

The main purpose of nerve agents today is to force the other military to take protective action. Doesn't deny area to you but sure slows you down. Large scale military operations in NBC environments are spectacularly unwieldy. Sunlight and time both deactivate the stuff.
Iraq was believed to have used VX on the Kurds,a civilian population is more vulnerable to nerve agents and fallout.

·
don't drink the kool aid
4,902 Posts
Iraq was believed to have used VX on the Kurds,a civilian population is more vulnerable to nerve agents and fallout.
Which is the main reason governments stockpile the stuff, puts fear in the local populace.

As for why governments feel the need to stockpile dirty weapons, just look at the mentality of almost every person that has ever been in government. They need nukes to put fear in the local populace, without the ability to destroy the planet 100 times over they'd look weak and an alpha would beat them down and take their place.

Thousands of years ago they wrote a book to try and warn us of the stupidity and mindless greed that are inherent traits of a monetary system, but people love their imaginary friends the government because society is a derp.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
Oh my appologies, I thought we were talking about the gas and it's affects on humans, not the containers they're stored in :rolleyes:

And infact, the video posted above confirms that information from the film is indeed accurate - Nerve agent, causes severe convulsions, actropene as a counter-agent, etc.

Nice talking with you =)
thats understandable considering hollywood is so well known for portraying everything in movies with such a high degree of accuracy. i was not talking about any gas (VX isnt a gas) but was making the point that you should never reference a hollywood fantasy when discussing real-world weapons of mass destruction. things can get awkward.

one of my favorite parts was where they so accurately depicted the antidote 'atropene' requiring injection directly into the heart. classy. thats one of the examples where things can get awkward when you mistake hollywood with reality. like...trying to use antidotes and jamming them directly into ones heart. THAT would certainly lighten the mood for anyone involved in a WMD experience watching one of the victims try to self-medicate themselves right into their left ventricle. comic gold, is what that is. at least theyll die with a smile on their face. additionally, the effectiveness of VX was certainly not hyper exaggerated at any point in that movie.

out of curiosity...what exactly is actropene?

have a lovely day.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Bio and Chem weapons are very unlikely to be used en masse predominantly because delivering them effectively is difficult, getting them to affect the targets is difficult, ensuring they spread the right way is difficult, removing contamination is difficult and the long term affects of using them are not too good.

Its a no-brainer

·
Seeker of Wisdom
188 Posts
Dr. Kenneth Alibek (originally known as Colonel Kanatzhan (Kanat) Alibekov before he defected) was First Deputy Director of Biopreparat, the USSR's bio-warfare organization.

Alibek's book "Biohazard" states that he personally worked on weaponized genetically modified smallpox, Ebola and a few other nasties and that these were incorporated into Soviet ICBM warheads to be used in the event of a strike against the USA, in addition to nuclear warheads.

I'm certainly not in a position to know whether what he said is true or not, but if anyone knows what the Russians were planning, he was certainly was.

Jack

1 - 20 of 40 Posts