Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
All you people that pick so and so round because thats what the LEOs in your area carry are needing to take a hard look at this. You think the local LEOs are going to give you some ammo because you look pretty? I doubt it. I think it best to just stock up and take care of you and yours.

·
Giblet Head
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
All you people that pick so and so round because thats what the LEOs in your area carry are needing to take a hard look at this. You think the local LEOs are going to give you some ammo because you look pretty? I doubt it. I think it best to just stock up and take care of you and yours.
I didn't even think of that at all until I read your post.

I just figured that with so many law enforcement offices and agencies using the .40 S&W, that would mean that so many more of that caliber are being produced and it would be easier to find them. But maybe not.

·
Registered
291 Posts
regardless of if they'll give ammo or not, which they wouldn't, the likelyhood of scavaging or looting these really common rounds is pretty good, as opposed to say, 9mm largo, or 7.62 tokarov, ect ect.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I reload my ammo so I stock what is easiest to reload. For SHTF I won't have a loading bench in my BOB. What I will have is a Lee field loader in .357, 9mm, or .45acp depending on which BOB I wind up with. The 40s&w is more popular than it used to be but a load kit for it still doesn't exist, the bottle neck design might have something to do with that [IDK] as for ease of reload the rimmed .357 is first, followed by 9mm then 45acp the 45 takes a lot of hammer to resize. A revolver/levergun combo in the same caliber is hard to beat.

·
Giblet Head
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yesterday I went to the local (or closes) Bass Pro Shop and actually got to handle some handguns from under the glass. I've narrowed my decision for my first handgun down to two or three, and I got to hold two of them. After months of reading and watching videos on them, it was really exciting to take the next step and interact with them in real life. Next I'll need to find a range where I can rent them and fire them some.

I've been interested in how common each caliber is because I'm down to deciding between a Glock 30SF and a Glock 26 (or maybe 27). I haven't reached a decision yet, but OMG the Glock 30SF is so WIDE!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I reload my ammo so I stock what is easiest to reload. For SHTF I won't have a loading bench in my BOB. What I will have is a Lee field loader in .357, 9mm, or .45acp depending on which BOB I wind up with. The 40s&w is more popular than it used to be but a load kit for it still doesn't exist, the bottle neck design might have something to do with that [IDK] as for ease of reload the rimmed .357 is first, followed by 9mm then 45acp the 45 takes a lot of hammer to resize. A revolver/levergun combo in the same caliber is hard to beat.
The .40S&W isnt a bottleneck cartridge. You might be thinking .357SIG but the .40 is merely a shortned 10mm. Hence the nickname .40 short and weak...lol.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts