Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've learned from here that I can buy campfire pots and pans and skillets to cook on the grill or open fire.

But what do you recommend we buy for baking, assuming we'll not have power?

Thanks,

Kathy EMP

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
You can make a outdoor stove out of bricks. You can make mud ones in the ground there are so many differnt versions its crazy. What we do sometimes is make a fire in the ground with a 3 inch pipe about 8 feet away and cold smoke our cheeses,meats and fish for Hunting camp. Then everbody just loves the stuff and its always a special treat.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Make you own solar oven out of cardboard box,foil,glue,glass or roasting bag. Will even work in the winter when there is snow. I will be making one next month and cook thanksgiving meal for 2.

U

·
Registered
197 Posts
Long ago my mother used to make a Christmas fruit bread that was baked in a large coffee can. She said it was something her mother used to do.

As for baking they did it in a wood fired oven.

You could do it in a covered dutch oven.

If you have a large clean can, grease and fill with your dough then set in a dutch oven that is on some coals. Cover and place some coals on the lid. Tent with aluminum foil and let it sit for 40 minutes. That should do it.

But if you didn't have foil, you could put coals in a pit, set the dutch oven on top, then coals on the lid. A partial cover on the pit and that would do as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a propane oven and a solar oven. The propane oven runs on the small Coleman fuel canisters. I have used it camping and it works great. The solar oven is something I use all the time (weather permitting) since my kitchen oven sucks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The solar ovens look kind of interesting. I read that they get hot enough to bake. I have some tinfoil, black paint and a box in case I ever need to make one. You can buy them ready made too.

·
retired ninja
197 Posts
There are solar ovens too. Anything we do inside with our appliances was done before. The Dutch oven is tops as far as having tons of uses.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
14,155 Posts
I remember my dad making everything from cornbread to cake with his dutch ovens. I still kick myself for letting some cousins have them after he passed. That was way before I thought of prepping. I've tried to get them back but either they wont let them go or they got rid of them. :mad:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Dutch ovens are a great way to bake and roast. You use them with charcoal. Also, there are a number of "camp ovens" on the market that can be used over most heat sources, whether a camp stove or bed of coals. These are good for roasting and baking bread. Here's a link to one of the better ones I've found.

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php?action=store&item=Oven

·
Registered
338 Posts
Dutch ovens are a great way to bake and roast. You use them with charcoal. Also, there are a number of "camp ovens" on the market that can be used over most heat sources, whether a camp stove or bed of coals. These are good for roasting and baking bread. Here's a link to one of the better ones I've found.

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/index.php?action=store&item=Oven
Lots and LOTS of coals. I learned the hard way when I was 15 or so that more is better!

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
The two ways that I have used, or should I say currently use regularly, is a dutch oven and solar oven. Both work great once you get the knack of it. Britzen, (of these boards and my S.O.) rocks the dutch oven but we both use the solars. Britzen's home made dutchy bread and dessert's are over the top! We have different techniques with the solar but it all works. I have even made Italian chicken dishes with solar. A pot of beans works even better.

When we get the chance we are going to build a cob oven. A cob oven is very similar to an adobe brick oven.

·
off-grid organic farmer
24,053 Posts

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
Getting back to the basic's and being a survivalist simply means thinking outside of the box and changing the convenience mentality that has been pushed down or throats over the last 50 years.

Baking some items simply means wrapping them in tinfoil over the fire. I would suggest a covered grill though.

Some people still haven't thought outside the box on those yet either. A good propane grill is sufficient. A couple of bags of charcoal when the propane runs out. Also a source of wood when the charcoal runs out. You don't need 2 different types of grills, or 20 bags of charcoal.

A few rolls of tinfoil, bear in mind that you will re-use the tinfoil as much as possible (my mom still did that in the 80's). But yes, invest in a good Dutch oven, also a little off topic but grab some cast iron pans while you're at it.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
You can make a outdoor stove out of bricks. You can make mud ones in the ground there are so many differnt versions its crazy. What we do sometimes is make a fire in the ground with a 3 inch pipe about 8 feet away and cold smoke our cheeses,meats and fish for Hunting camp. Then everbody just loves the stuff and its always a special treat.
Do you have a picture of that? That sounds really good!

·
Free Mason
1,100 Posts
I just purchased a Coleman folding oven. It can be used on any cook stove. I used mine last weekend while camping at HerbalPagen's house. I made biscuits to have with gravy for breakfast.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I've learned from here that I can buy campfire pots and pans and skillets to cook on the grill or open fire.

But what do you recommend we buy for baking, assuming we'll not have power?

Thanks,

Kathy EMP
you could use a solar oven to conserve fuel. i keep a rolled up frenzel lens and some aluminum foil in my BOB for an oven on the go.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts