Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With so much to get and expiration dates what can I do. I believe the economy will rebound and everything will be alright but I think It is necessary to Prepare for the worst. I herd somebody talk (did not confirm) say that Russia wanted to blow up our missile defense system. With so many scenarios what should I focus on i just bought a rifle and 300 rounds of ammo but i want to know what is enough to sustain yourself till you become self sustainable. I have a trailer and i want to make a tow and go kit but I’m just overwhelmed on what to.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
How do I start?

With so much to get and expiration dates what can I do. I believe the economy will rebound and everything will be alright but I think It is necessary to Prepare for the worst. I herd somebody talk (did not confirm) say that Russia wanted to blow up our missile defense system. With so many scenarios what should I focus on i just bought a rifle and 300 rounds of ammo but i want to know what is enough to sustain yourself till you become self sustainable. I have a trailer and i want to make a tow and go kit but I’m just overwhelmed on what to.
First off, take a deep breath and try not to hyperventilate. It is damn scary when you first realize that there may not be a Disney ending.

Secondly, make a plan. It will probably be worthless if and when the shtf, but it will give you a starting point.

Search on this site for preparedness plans. There are some that give you a plan based upon a 72 hour time frame... a weeks time frame and a months time frame. there are others that explain how to begin prepping with an extra $5 per week or tell you how to plan on having a 3 month, 6 month or years supply of long-term storage food.

Check out the preparedness sites of the Mormon church (LDS). They have been preppers since the founding by Joseph Smith.

Remember, it didn't take you overnight to become unprepared for what may come and you will not become prepared overnight. Just do the best you can for yourself and your family... that's all any of us can do. Something is better than nothing, and you have taken the first step on a long journey... but at least you have taken that step. That puts you ahead of 98% of the sheep.

Godspeed and welcome.:thumb:

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
newmanworried first off welcome from iowa. now here is what i would do first. go take an inventory of what you have. got camping gear what is it. you got a computer i know cause your on the net. use that computer to set up a spreadsheet for food stuff inventories. keep track of what you eat in a month. of that what has a long expire date i.e. canned goods and such. buy more of this when you go shopping. rotate your stuff.

ok thats a taste for now.

now what do you need to take into consideration when planning? for instance its not just me i plan for. i have a little 3yr old 4 this dec. and then my woman and me also. thats what most plan for but i also have banded togather with others of a like mind most family. then theres the where of things. do you live in a big city that will be hard to get out of if the poop hits the fan ala katrina/new orleans. or are you in the country where your better off? hows your debt? the way things are going you really wanna discharge that. go over your bills. whats a need whats a want and whats a waste. what area do you live in the plains with harsh winters, desert, nice cool area? gotta plan for that as well what desasters happen in your area i.e. california = earthquakes well that should get you started theres a download section as well look thru there as well

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The first step is knowing that you want to be prepared, and aren't, and you have already taken that big first step.

On another thread someone mentioned breaking it down into blocks of time, like a week, two weeks, a month, etc., and getting prepared for a week, then two weeks, etc. and building from there.

Doing a week's worth is a piece of cake, just like going camping. Then, do for a longer 'camping trip', and build on that.

I buy stuff on sale at the grocery stores [I read ads from 5 local ones and a local drug store chain and watch in-store sales that didn't make the flyer], and stock up on stuff every time I go to the store. I am always on the lookout for a bargain for things we need, and that includes shampoo, toothpaste, edibles, etc.

As MGD said, debt is a millstone around your neck; get rid of it as fast as you can, making sure that you leave some money for prepping.

It may help to sit down with a piece of paper and a pencil and write down what can happen [not in an earthquake or flood, necessarily, but in any major emergency] and what you would need to respond to that and make a list to plan with. For instance, how will you wash dishes? That requires soap, water, dishpan, towels and someplace to drain them [not in that order, but you get the idea]. Well, you look around and you already have a dish drainer, a dishpan, and enough towels, so what else do you need? Soap and water [and maybe something to heat the water with]. Water is a general item, and you can look into a capture system or tank, but soap - well, figure out how much you'd use in a week, multiply that out for how long you want to be prepared for, and make that a target. Not a ohmygawd-gotta-get-it-now item for this week, or next week, but as you go, when it's on sale.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
my advice is to start small and keep growing. unless you just won the lottery you probably do not have the dosh to make everything happen all at once. asses your situation and prepare for the most likely things first.

for me, bugging out is not likely but my townhouse is a firetrap and the neighbours rely too much on the smoke alarm when cooking. so I tailored my stores and go-bag to keep me alive if I have to bug in during a blizzard or ice storm (Canada, eh) and to take my important data with me if I need to flee a fire. your situation is probably totally different and you need to prepare for that, not for my problems or most everyone else's.

when you are comfortable with your preps for the short term then prep for the medium term... then prep for the long term.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Check out the archives here to see what has been written about starting out.
I remember a doing agreat deal of reading here and feeling comforted with the amount of support and information available .
Ifind keeping in contact with likeminded people(not sheeple) has been the no 1 motivator for me to continue on.
I was absent from my home for a couple of months with missionery work and study,but as soon as i returned, i resumed the daily readings of posts on this site and other good info on the net.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts