Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sort of new to the website.. I'm 15. I have grown up with my father around weapons in the Las Vegas area. I learned a lot of things about what's going on around us. Not until about a few months ago did I take everything for granted and think life was perfect until my mother the only one who worked lost her job, my parents got a divorce and then a while later she found a better job. Living only with my mom she told me she will buy me anything under a some what large budget, but still. I know something will happen to this country or world. I was surprised that there were not a lot of people pulling stocks out the market on the 21 of 2012, but anyways I have started a BOB. I got a S.O.Tech paladin go bag pretty cheap. On the SOT website it goes for $125 I believe and this other website it was $60. I also got a knife and multi tool. Ka-bar serrated edge tanto. I have set up my bag with medical equipment, but not strong stuff. I need food/water still and fire starters and some clothes to put in. Also water/radiation pills. I live in the desert and the cold weather is not that bad, but it's cold so I have a space blanket and another one also some other warm clothes.

For the past few years I have been doing Jui Jitsu and Wrestling (extremely good at both) and I have skills in others things such as blade making, but there's no space to put a refinery or any anvils. I can filter water, I know a lot about the minerals in the area and I have 2 BOL's. both which are being prepped with me and some loyal friends.

Anyone willing to help me or post related links to help me I would greatly appreciate it. Anyone in the Henderson/Las Vegas area should message me if you could help.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just keep reading here and do some searches as its all been covered. Also check the "similar thread" links at the bottom of this thread page.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's not so much what you have, but what you know. Find useful items in garage sales and surplus stores at a low price, gain knowledge, and buy what you feel is most essential and at a reasonable price.

·
gagged
3,833 Posts
Jerry D Young has a story on the forum that has a scenario with a teen who is prepping with his brother. I can't find it right now, but really any of the Jerry D Young stories are not only entertaining, but informational and they are Free on this forum.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hi "Dingo", aside from reading as much as you can here, make sure you can count on your frinds. Do some camping trips, basically shake down your friends and yourself to get some idea of how they would be in uncomfortable surroundings/experiences.
Beyond that, your area should provide the most challenge in the water/food areas. Learn the local animals/reptiles, and learn it they are edible, and how to make them palatable. Water is easy to treat if you can find a source to start with.
Think about if a stash location would be a good idea or not, sometimes its really smart, other its better to have other options.
Good luck, have fun, be safe, nice to see a few of the younger generation are able to see what's going on in our country.
And welcome!!!

·
Trouble following rules
2,201 Posts
All good advice above. I just want to say congratulations on having your eyes open to the need to be prepared at a young age, while most of your peers care only about video game, hanging out at the mall and the latest trends. Starting at a young age and gaining more knowledge, skills and preps will serve you very well in the future. On the other hand, don't let this all completely consume you. Make sure to take some time to enjoy the simple pleasures in life, time with friends and family, etc. Thanks for posting. :thumb:

·
Fighter
381 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. The links posted above are a good place to start, however, your use of language leads me to believe that you have been misled.

A bug out or go bag is a good idea, but by no means is it a solution. Part of being prepared is having a plan. You need to plan out an original plan, a back up plan, and an emergency plan.

A bug out bag is more of an emergency plan than anything else.

For example, your primary plan may be to go to your uncle's camp in Idaho. But, if you can't stay there because of whatever reason (road blocks don't count). Your second plan may be to go to Kansas, where your grandpa lives. If you get there, but 10 miles from town there is a road block, then you will fall back to an emergency plan (like a BOB).

Good luck and feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Jerry D Young has a story on the forum that has a scenario with a teen who is prepping with his brother. I can't find it right now, but really any of the Jerry D Young stories are not only entertaining, but informational and they are Free on this forum.

Not sure about JDY, but there's a Clark story that covers this scenario.

·
Tuned in
571 Posts
With your age and your limited budget I would say that your best bet is to gather skills and experience. Educating yourself on how to survive with a minimal amount of supplies in environments local to you would be the best. Often people have to decide whether to bug in or bug out, but for you bugging out is probably the best option. So I would plan with that in mind. For example, rather than storing large amounts of water (though still not a bad idea) invest in water filtration technology - something portable and light. Minimal supplies and low profile (gray man) are probably your best bet.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Don't read to much on what other people have. If you saw my BOB your budget wouldn't last long BUT it has been built over a few years and I have spent money on stuff that I use when I go camping. My food alone in the BOB is 4 or 5 day REAL rations which have 5000 kcals, they do cost but I could probably make something evenly good for much less money if I was willing to trade weight and space.

Do not buy the special and novelty items that are out there. Buy stuff you need on an everyday basis. If you need good shoes, use then on a regular basis and don't go for the EOTW boots. Do not buy a poncho you'll only have in your BOB, buy one that you will use. The same goes for everything you buy. It will cut into how much you spend really fast and you will be able to buy more stuff. An example is that a pair of good pants doesn't need to have camo do be good in a BOB, hence you can use them on an everyday basis. A regular plastic soda bottle is good enough as a water bottle until you can buy your SS bottle. Think cheap and save some serious money!

The final advice is that you look for sales and visit the second hand stores. You can get some stuff in these insanely cheap, so cheap I can't imagine the sellers making any profit on it. A plunta (~7oz SS bottle) cost me about 15% in a second hand store from what the new price is on the item. I also have a sweater (new) that cost 1 krona that is a few years old now, 1 krona is what a bubblegum cost in the machines you have for kids at the supermarket.

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
Welcome. Try and hit any second hand store or consignment shop in your area. If there are any flea markets in your area those are great for getting gear.

Last summer I got a chest rig by High Speed gear that goes for 200 bucks brand new for 35 dollars from some old fella, selling military surplus gear at a flea market.

I also found a shoe box full of beeswax candles for 25 cents a piece. Online they go for 2 dollars and up for one. Just remember not everything needs to be brand new and you can find some real diamonds in the rough at your second hand shops!!

The one last great thing about these kind of vendors is that you can barter and talk down prices! Trade crap you dont want anymore for much more important things you do want!

Good luck.

P.S-Since your in the desert make sure water is your number one priortiy!

Reactions: SurvivalDingo

·
Still here...
1,153 Posts
Hello,

Do you have water stored? Do you know how to find water in the desert? Don't count on the pool water. It's a nice resource, but you cant really count on it. In AZ, you don't own the water and the municipalities can take it. I don't know if it's the same in NV. I didn't read much about food. Do you have some stored at the house in case you bug in? Do you know what plants you can eat and which are poisonous?

Out of curiosity, are you prepping for your mother/siblings or just yourself?

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,897 Posts
"20 Questions"...

I'm sort of new to the website.. I'm 15. I have grown up with my father around weapons in the Las Vegas area. I learned a lot of things about what's going on around us. Not until about a few months ago did I take everything for granted and think life was perfect until my mother the only one who worked lost her job, my parents got a divorce and then a while later she found a better job. Living only with my mom she told me she will buy me anything under a some what large budget, but still. I know something will happen to this country or world. I was surprised that there were not a lot of people pulling stocks out the market on the 21 of 2012, but anyways I have started a BOB. I got a S.O.Tech paladin go bag pretty cheap. On the SOT website it goes for $125 I believe and this other website it was $60. I also got a knife and multi tool. Ka-bar serrated edge tanto. I have set up my bag with medical equipment, but not strong stuff. I need food/water still and fire starters and some clothes to put in. Also water/radiation pills. I live in the desert and the cold weather is not that bad, but it's cold so I have a space blanket and another one also some other warm clothes.

For the past few years I have been doing Jui Jitsu and Wrestling (extremely good at both) and I have skills in others things such as blade making, but there's no space to put a refinery or any anvils. I can filter water, I know a lot about the minerals in the area and I have 2 BOL's. both which are being prepped with me and some loyal friends.

Anyone willing to help me or post related links to help me I would greatly appreciate it. Anyone in the Henderson/Las Vegas area should message me if you could help.
First, you're to be commended for working to be self-sufficient in the world. Many others don't.

Second, most of the heavy lifting in being self sufficient involves answering questions, and writing your answers down in some sort of Journal or notebook. It's sort of like the game of "20 Questions", but with a different purpose. Here are some examples:

• If I were forced to leave the home I live in, where would I go and why?
  • If forced to evacuate, how would I travel and what could I take with me?
  • How does water get to my house? Well? Municipal supply?
  • How does electricity get to my house? County Utility?
  • If the water supply stopped, what would I drink and how should I store it?
  • If the electricity went down, what would we need to do for heat and light?
  • If my family were unable to purchase groceries for 1 month, what could we eat?
  • If the car breaks, what can I do to fix it? With what tools?
  • Over the last twenty years, what natural disasters have occurred where I live right now?
  • If an emergency happened, do I have the names, addresses, email, and phone numbers of everyone I need to contact?

These are just examples. But this sort of baseline planning requires (initially) very little money. Its the thinking, discussion, and obtaining answers that allows us to assemble a plan.

Once you've gotten some answers, then you can begin to prioritize tasks - your path forward becomes more clear.

But simply making lists of questions you'll need to answer can offer a lot of places to begin planning. The entire idea is to answer questions in advance so that if an emergency happens, you don't need to think about the answers then. You've already pre-identified the answers, and prepared to act on them. And try to resist the urge to focus on firearms and other weapons. At 15 there are other areas you could be focusing on that may be more productive at this time (IMHO).

Best of luck in the new year with your questions and answers.

G.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Be patient, and take the time to enjoy life. Aquiring skills IMHO is a better bet than aquiring possessions. Survival skills for sure, but learn to do things with your hands. You can dabble in carpentry, plumbing, electricity, small engine repair, welding, the list goes on and on. No need to master each and every one. Hell, no need to master even one of them. Just be willing to try things out and be competent at as many as is possible for you.
And try to develop a support network aka friends who know how to do things.
This is something you do over a lifetime, not in six months.
And, welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
At 15 you should be prepping to go to college where you can earn a degree and make a good living.

Any BOL accessible by a 15 year old will be overrun immediately. You are stocking a BOL with supplies you will never get to use.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi "Dingo", aside from reading as much as you can here, make sure you can count on your frinds. Do some camping trips, basically shake down your friends and yourself to get some idea of how they would be in uncomfortable surroundings/experiences.
Beyond that, your area should provide the most challenge in the water/food areas. Learn the local animals/reptiles, and learn it they are edible, and how to make them palatable. Water is easy to treat if you can find a source to start with.
Think about if a stash location would be a good idea or not, sometimes its really smart, other its better to have other options.
Good luck, have fun, be safe, nice to see a few of the younger generation are able to see what's going on in our country.
And welcome!!!
My friends and I have actually recently went to our nearest BOL. We walk there which usually takes half our day. I show them different types of plants and all of us add in info about things around us. We are currently scouting the area to find places where water would collect. Thanks for the info. I will be getting something to treat water if I don't have a fire.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts