Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your prep for the following hypothetical? Cyber terrorists have hacked the U.S. power grid, and are only allowing enough utility to keep the nation from completely crumbling. Crippling restrictions and rationing are mandated on water and power consumption. Watering lawns and gardens by utility is strictly prohibited. Citizens are expected to report violations and are rewarded with more utility access. Neighbors are judged as complicit for failure to report clear infractions.

What is your contingency plan for watering your garden?
Do you have the materials already on hand?
Have you ever test run your contingency to ensure it will work as expected?
Are you prepped for such a survival situation?

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
8,019 Posts
If I get really hard up I'll stand on the bank with a bucket on a rope to drop in the creek.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Aquaponics.
I did an experiment.
I set up a 40-gallon fish tank with feeder goldfish and a garden trough that drained back into the fish tank.
Ideally one would grow tilapia or some other fish more pleasing to the palate but this was an experiment nothing more.
I ran it for 3 years and the fish got to be 6-8 inches long. I grew several different things in the garden and the problem I had was critters stealing the food. It was just an experiment. A bobcat stole the fish.
The thing is it used very little water and I only needed a small 12 volt DC boat bilge pump to circulate the water.
The circulation fed the nitrogen-rich fish water to the garden that absorbed it and the dirt-filtered water went back to the fish tank. My next experiment will be much larger and inside a greenhouse.
This system uses very little water and using a greenhouse, less water is lost through evaporation and wind.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Already watering from the rain barrels. Expect to add another 1000-1500 gallons storage out back before Spring. Very large parts of the US go into dry periods in the late summer/fall, so we already prepare for it. What we have used from the roof has already paid for the barrels.

Watering the garden would be the least of your problems in this scenario, I'd be more concerned with sanitation and drinking water, not to mention lack of food at the stores.

·
gardener & news junkie
3,702 Posts
There are big trash cans and several large wheeled containers from the trash company already here that can be used for for rain collection via downspouts.

The one thing we've been thinking about is pond water as there's one in each pasture on each side of this property. One is uphill and one is downhill from our property. The downhill one could be dipped from, a very worky option.

There is another scenario we've thought about for a good while. Water could be siphoned from the uphill pond via hoses as there are at least three long old used ones plus two newer long ones in use now. This scenario also includes moving the garden to an area below that pond pending an OK from whoever recently bought the 70 acres surrounding us on three sides. I've yet to meet them as they still need to build a house on the far side of the land and only currently visit the property occasionally. An offer to share what is grown could be an enticement if necessary and if they'd agree to help in the gardening. 5th Gear has met them and says he's recent prior service and the wife supposedly gardens. We'll see. Both are nurses. Handy to have nearby.

·
GrowingFromScratch.com
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Watering the garden would be the least of your problems in this scenario, I'd be more concerned with sanitation and drinking water, not to mention lack of food at the stores.
There would certainly be other hazards to contend with. I just meant to provide a situation that would directly effect the gardening aspect of preparedness.

·
Registered
506 Posts
There would certainly be other hazards to contend with. I just meant to provide a situation that would directly effect the gardening aspect of preparedness.
Ahh, understood. We capture water, lots of it. During dry season (now), we periodically add tap water to the barrels to top them off. The chlorine in the water helps to keep the water from going off.

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
I haven't kept up on it, but we have had over 50 inches of moisture this year. We have heavy clay soil, which makes growing hard unless you amend it a lot. However, once you do, the clay particles absorb and hold moisture. It acts like those hydrogels you can buy but without all the chemicals.

I'm considering a spot for a shallow pond with a deeper end below the frost line. I have one area that gets up to 2 inches of standing water during the bigger rains if they come one after another for a couple days. That would store a decent amount of water and refill as the neighbors properties drain through the area.

The new garden spot I turned over yesterday was wet clumpy clay from 6" down to the initial 12" shovel turn. I amended it before for flowers. I'll go deeper with a spade the next time to churn more clay, then amend it with peat moss, composted manure, and a tiller. Then let it set with all the leaves, newspaper, and cardboard I can work into it over the fall/winter covered by wood shavings from the chain saw. I put all my leaves back into the yard somewhere.

In the spring 3" of hardwood mulch covering a drip irrigation system.

·
Social Deserter
486 Posts
Lots of mulch on the garden AND a couple big piles of wood chips out back to replenish the plot for a year or two. That will keep the moisture in the ground and my plants alive most years without watering by hand.

Also, we have a small 40 gal ATV tank to be filled by hand with buckets in a lake if needed. It isn’t fast but my setup has enough height to fill a watering can in about 60 seconds.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
What is your prep for the following hypothetical? Cyber terrorists have hacked the U.S. power grid, and are only allowing enough utility to keep the nation from completely crumbling. Crippling restrictions and rationing are mandated on water and power consumption. Watering lawns and gardens by utility is strictly prohibited. Citizens are expected to report violations and are rewarded with more utility access. Neighbors are judged as complicit for failure to report clear infractions.

If you let an outside entity control your basic needs like water, you have a bigger problem than watering your garden.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Next door neighbor grows lots of food on 1/4 acre every year since 1950. Never watered anything. But neighbor on the other side thinks she needs to water flowers every two or three days, which is probably completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Have a 300g tank that I've intended on sitting by the barn under the eve where I will put gutters. Feed water into the tank, then hose water from that tank to the garden which is 50' away.
Other than that, bucket water to the garden when necessary.

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,132 Posts

I'm given to understand that there is a natural cycle in which water falls freely from the sky.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts