Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this article fascinating. How an exorcist priest came face-to-face with the devil himself A few excerpts:
Amorth said he returned fire with prayers and other ritual recitations, demanding that the demon reveal its name.

“Unclean spirit!” Amorth bellowed. “Whoever you are and all your companions who possess this servant of God … I command you: Tell me your name, the day and the hour of your damnation.”

The man fixed him with a glare and snarled: “I am Lucifer.”

He “did not expect to receive such a terrifying response,” Stanzione writes. “But . . . he was convinced he had to keep going as long as he had the strength.”

Amorth, the official exorcist for the diocese of Rome, claimed to have performed about 60,000 exorcisms before his death in 2016. Amorth claimed his exorcisms lasted about 30 minutes on average, and he would often conduct five over the course of a morning, by appointment only, with breaks in between for paperwork. He thought it just as effective to conduct his exorcisms by telephone or Skype.

A photo of St. John Paul II adorned the walls, since “demons become very irritable before him,” and Amorth always carried “two wooden crucifixes, an aspergillum for sprinkling holy water, and a vial of consecrated oil.”

As this continued, “the room became extremely cold and ice crystals formed on the windows and the walls.”

As Amorth continually commanded the demon to leave the host, “the young man’s body stiffened so much that he became hard and began to levitate. For several minutes, he remained hovering 3 feet in the air.”

Today, exorcisms are on the rise worldwide, including in the United States, with the Catholic Church reportedly sending their exorcists to a new institute that trains spiritual warriors. Though no statistics are available, Catholic leaders say there are more exorcists in the US now than in any time in recent memory.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
By what I've heard they often claim the fame of their master. Even in the story of The Exorcist that they made the movie of the entity said he was "the devil". The Great Beast has little care if his minions use his name. While the little snots are messing with people and making individual lives miserable he is occupied moving nations and false gods. When your goal is to defeat heaven then harrying some kid in Guatemala means nothing.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
The name "Lucifer" is only used once in Scripture (Isaiah 14:12).

According to Strong's Concordance the name "Lucifer" means:
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=H1966&t=KJV
Lucifer = "light-bearer"

shining one, morning star, Lucifer

of the king of Babylon and Satan (fig.)

(TWOT) 'Helel' describing the king of Babylon
I've always believed that "Lucifer" is one of the several names of Satan the "adversary." Though he was the leader of the angelic rebellion against God he shares the guilt of that rebellion with 1/3 of all the created angels. So there are countless numbers of beings in the spiritual realm who are nearly as evil as Satan/Lucifer is. The Bible doesn't seem to give a large amount of information about these beings but it warns us to avoid witchcraft and/or entertaining Satan or satanic practices.

Christ simply told Satan to "get thee behind me, Satan" (Matthew 16:23) when dealing with Peter's rebellious nature and unwillingness to accept God's plan. We also read about Christ casting a legion of demons from a possessed man:

Mark 5:6-12, "6But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and worshipped him, 7And cried with a loud voice, and said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not. 8For he said unto him, Come out of the man, thou unclean spirit. 9And he asked him, What is thy name? And he answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many. 10And he besought him much that he would not send them away out of the country. 11Now there was there nigh unto the mountains a great herd of swine feeding. 12And all the devils besought him, saying, Send us into the swine, that we may enter into them."

Could this name "Legion" be in reference to the 1/3 of the fallen angels? They speak of themselves in the singular as well as the plural. So is it possible for any of the fallen angels to refer to himself as "Lucifer" in a collective sense of the word? I have no idea. Just some food for thought.

As for anyone claiming to having come "face to face with Lucifer" ... I suppose anything is possible but so can anyone make such a claim for attention's sake or for self-promotion.

·
20,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1/3 of the angels? Does anyone have a reference to the total # of angels?

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
1/3 of the angels? Does anyone have a reference to the total # of angels?
Most scholars believe that "the stars" of revelation (as relating to the following verse) are angels:

Revelation 12:4, "And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born."

Of course, "the dragon" in this verse refers to Satan/Lucifer. "The woman" can be the Church or Mary while "the child" is Jesus Christ.

There are lots of other references to "fallen angels" as well: https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Fallen-Angels/

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Most scholars believe that "the stars" of revelation (as relating to the following verse) are angels:

Revelation 12:4, "And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born."

Of course, "the dragon" in this verse refers to Satan/Lucifer. "The woman" can be the Church or Mary while "the child" is Jesus Christ.

There are lots of other references to "fallen angels" as well: https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Fallen-Angels/
So am I to understand, that you are trying to tell me that the stars we see in the sky are not giant fireballs burning in space, millions of light years away?

Science does not agree with this claim, how are you backing up your claim?

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
So am I to understand, that you are trying to tell me that the stars we see in the sky are not giant fireballs burning in space, millions of light years away?

Science does not agree with this claim, how are you backing up your claim?
Read Matthew chapter 13. Parables and metaphors are common literary tools used throughout the Bible. Read the parable of the "wheat and the tares." Christ used "wheat" as a metaphor for "the saints" and "tares" as a metaphor for the ungodly. Context is everything!!!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Read Matthew chapter 13. Parables and metaphors are common literary tools used throughout the Bible. Read the parable of the "wheat and the tares." Christ used "wheat" as a metaphor for "the saints" and "tares" as a metaphor for the ungodly. Context is everything!!!
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+13&version=KJV

Yes, you have listed a specific portion of the Bible that is using parables as an example to teach those who do not understand. Not every part of the Bible is written in this way however.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
No, Sharpster, nobody is saying the stars we see when we are out at night are not suns and lit gas clouds. We are saying that the Bible frequently refers to angels as stars. Certainly modern vernacular calls celebrities stars. That does not mean we think Harrison Ford is actually a gaseous ball of nuclear fission. Neither do we think the Bible tells us that Alpha Centauri is an angel.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Amorth, the official exorcist for the diocese of Rome, claimed to have performed about 60,000 exorcisms before his death in 2016...

As Amorth continually commanded the demon to leave the host, “the young man’s body stiffened so much that he became hard and began to levitate. For several minutes, he remained hovering 3 feet in the air.”
A stunning number. What is little known is that the Roman Catholic Church will not perform an exorcism without all other possibilities first being ruled out. If I remember correctly, one of the four necessary criteria is a witnessed example like the above levitation.

The entities often (if not always) have knowledge of a personal nature about the exorcist, and will use it to get them to stop. One exception, and this is remarkable, is confessed sins. They have no knowledge of them.

·
Registered
413 Posts
So is it possible for any of the fallen angels to refer to himself as "Lucifer" in a collective sense of the word?
This is how I would take it. Obviously the demonic have no issues with lying.

I read this article as well and there were references to where the priest had multiple examples of having to work with people for months or years to cleanse them. That caught me off a bit as I don't recall any casting out of demons by Jesus or the disciples not being done then and there...there was no follow up. That part seemed a bit off to me in the article. Someone please educate me if I am wrong.

·
Автомат
1,772 Posts
Every Christian who prays the Sign of the Cross rebukes Satan face-to-face. In every case, Satan fights back. Try it for yourself. In public, cross yourself, renounce Satan, all his works, all his pompous displays. Then watch what happens. Self-proclaimed "christians" will use their personal "bible truth" to rebuke YOU.

Kyrie Eleison.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
...Amorth, the official exorcist for the diocese of Rome, claimed to have performed about 60,000 exorcisms before his death in 2016. Amorth claimed his exorcisms lasted about 30 minutes on average, and he would often conduct five over the course of a morning, by appointment only, with breaks in between for paperwork. He thought it just as effective to conduct his exorcisms by telephone or Skype. ...

...Today, exorcisms are on the rise worldwide, including in the United States, with the Catholic Church reportedly sending their exorcists to a new institute that trains spiritual warriors. Though no statistics are available, Catholic leaders say there are more exorcists in the US now than in any time in recent memory.
[/INDENT]
60,000 exorcisms strikes me as an exaggerated number. Personally, I know of ONE (1) legitimate exorcism that took place about 50 years ago and was conducted by a Russian Orthodox priest in Queens, New York.

Granted, I'm not a priest, nor involved in exorcisms, so I could very well be mistaken. However, I don't believe that legitimate demonic possessions occur that frequently. Don't get me wrong. I firmly believe that they occur, but the numbers claimed by this Catholic priest are somewhat difficult to swallow.

Also, conducting the exorcism of a demon from hell over the phone or skype??? Was this guy joking??? Or, possibly was he a grifter working his con on religious people whom he fooled??? Five exorcisms in the morning sounds physically impossible. One exorcism takes a huge physical toll on the priest.

Just because there are more exorcists and exorcisms than ever doesn't mean there are more demonic possessions (if you get my drift). Sorry, this guy's story doesn't pass the smell test. That's just my two kopecks. I could be wrong.

·
20,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
60,000 exorcisms strikes me as an exaggerated number. Personally, I know of ONE (1) legitimte exorcism that took place about 50 years ago and was conducted by a Russian Orthodox priest in Queens, New York.
Thanks for your thoughtful post. I agree that 60,000 exorcisms strikes me as an exaggerated number. In reading the article, I'm not sure if that is separate demonic possessions or attempts at exorcising many times one possesses, including attempts over the phone or Skype. I think one example took the priest 24 years to finally free the woman from the demon.

Generally, I try to keep things on topic and not make it personal. Since you mentioned it, I personally knew ONE (1) woman who swore she participated in a couple of exorcisms. This was ~15 years ago in Michigan. She even claimed to have seen a demon.

I'm not sure what to make of all this put wanted the community to know about the article.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I agree that 60,000 exorcisms strikes me as an exaggerated number. In reading the article, I'm not sure if that is separate demonic possessions or attempts at exorcising many times one possesses, including attempts over the phone or Skype.
Do the math. He lived to be 91. He knew he was destined to be a priest around age 10. IF, he became a priest as early as 18 and immediatly became an exorcist, he then might have done around 821+ a year or approximately 69 per month. Yes, I too, think the 60,000 would be difficult to believe, BUT where he's admitted to using the phone or Skype, it's not so hard to believe.
AND what about those who believed they were possessed, but weren't really?
Not disputing this claim, but I imagine he used the phone/Skype more often than not.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
You either have the authority to exorcise demons or you don't. Jesus himself gave that specific authority to his apostles, and he told them to pass it on to strong disciples. The amount of time and words said by Jesus to dispel Legion is the best example of the time frame and words needed by everyone who does it with authority.

And who has authority in this day and age? According to king David it is everyone who believes unflinchingly and with great love in the Lord. It is anyone who will stand on the mountain and sing his glory and praise. (He speaks of "songs" that will drive out demons.)

So it can't require 20+ years to get the job done, nor does it take hours of rote prayers that must be said in exact order, like a spell. It takes knowing you have the right to do it and the unflinching trust that God will back you up on it, then command it done in Christ's name.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
No, Sharpster, nobody is saying the stars we see when we are out at night are not suns and lit gas clouds. We are saying that the Bible frequently refers to angels as stars. Certainly modern vernacular calls celebrities stars. That does not mean we think Harrison Ford is actually a gaseous ball of nuclear fission. Neither do we think the Bible tells us that Alpha Centauri is an angel.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+13&version=KJV

Yes, you have listed a specific portion of the Bible that is using parables as an example to teach those who do not understand. Not every part of the Bible is written in this way however.

I'm not certain I get the point you're trying to make. In some places ... the Bible uses clear and concise language while it uses metaphor, simile, and parable in others. If you're referring to the Bible's use of the word "circuit" to describe the spherical structure of the earth then that's one of the places where it uses clear and concise language.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

1 - 20 of 44 Posts