Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a M&P15, put a new rail, low pro gas block, and front and rear flip up MBUS sights on it.
No glass yet. I wanted to get really good with irons first.
My question is.
How good? What's a reasonable level of accuracy? And are MBUS sights good enough?
I'm zeroing it @ 50yards.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
My recommendation is be atleast as accurate as "minute of man" at 150 yards with MBUS and "m.o.m." at 300 yards with a scope. Unless you live in the wide-open spaces, that oughta work just fine.

·
Remove Kebab
3,589 Posts
Those are fairly abysmal substitutes for iron sights. If you intend to learn irons I would get a set of fully adjustable metal sights. The flip ups are alright when you really need them out of the way but they will not be as accurate or as adjustable.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
The BUIS vary a good bit between manufacturers, and as with most things, you do get what you pay for, but keep in mind, they are "BUIS", and meant to be secondary. You need to weigh whether or not the extra money is warranted, especially for something that's likely not going to get much use.

All my BUIS are zeroed, and checked occasionally (they dont change once set), but once zeroed, they rarely get any use. I prefer the red dots that are the main sights on all but one of my AR's.

That said, I have GG&G, Troy, and MagPul BUIS, and they all do well for what they were intended. The GG&G seem to be the most solid and precise (and the most expensive), but the difference in accuracy would be splitting hairs in reality.

If youre looking at the MagPuls, watch when you buy. There are copies out there that look just like them, and from what Ive read reviews wise, are basically "airsoft" junk. A set of "real" MagPul's will run you around $80.

As far as accuracy goes, from a prone field position, I would think 2-3" at 100 yards would be a reasonable expectation with decent ammo. Shooting from a rest will tighten it up a little more, but not much.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put the Magpul iron (metal) BUIS sights on my PAS AR 15.. i didn't want to pay that much for them, but they are more slim and sturdy than the polymer ones. the cheapest i found them was on ebay for about $137... the polymer sights will run about $80 or so.. also i put a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot sight. PSA had it for $60 and couldn't pass it up.. normally $80 to $100.. i did have to get a riser for it...quick detach

·
RIP Dad
1,993 Posts
I have a set on my 11" barrel AR pistol. I can hit a milk jug all day at 100 yds with them. Not from a bench, just leaning on whatever's handy.

·
Somewhere on a ranch...
1,944 Posts
I have that firearm with a 2.5-10x40 scope, and can group shots at 2" from 100 yards. Prone/supported of course. I'm pretty darn happy with that.

With iron, I'd be happy with a 3-4" group at that range. If you can hit a man sized target at 250 yards with iron, you're doing just fine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Those are fairly abysmal substitutes for iron sights. If you intend to learn irons I would get a set of fully adjustable metal sights. The flip ups are alright when you really need them out of the way but they will not be as accurate or as adjustable.
MBUS sights are fully adjustable. They are absolutely fine substitutes for A2 iron sights.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I would learn to use iron sights, but IF I want accuracy, I'd go with some sort of magnified optics... Periodically, take off the optic and practice with the iron sights... I'd be ecstatic with a 5 to 10 inch group at 100 yards... I'd consider myself "practiced" if I could hit it with routinely at 100 yards (silhouette target)

The limitations on iron sights is only one aspect- how accurate can you center something on the front sight post, and then center that in the rear. It's compounded by that most bulk ammo is not really that good- maybe 3 to 5 inches at best at 100 yards. Add in the human factors, most of us-humans- would be happy to hit anywhere near the center of a human sized torso at 100 yards. With enough practice, you can put rounds on a torso sized target up to about 250~300 yards with good effect.. 350 and 400 can be done, but tends to be more luck than anything. Of course, if you were up against a clock like in the services, that adds to the difficulty.. At 100 yards- 3 to 5 inches is about the best that I'd consider "really good" .. If I were getting 5 to 10 inches, IMO, that's good enough for irons...

·
Ready, willing, and able
3,597 Posts
Recently purchased a M&P15, put a new rail, low pro gas block, and front and rear flip up MBUS sights on it.
My question is.
How good? What's a reasonable level of accuracy? And are MBUS sights good enough?

Thanks!
You should be able to take out a dime a mile away. ;)

·
Banned
24 Posts
More importantly, why are you making the severe tactial error of being in open country, in daylight? You need the resources and protection of thickly wooded hillls. In such areas, the ability of enemies to see and hit you from long range is greatly reduced. That is what you want. You can't be watching always, not moving. You need fire for heat and cooking and smoke will call in your enemies. Trees help to obscure that smoke. In frozen ground, it's often not feasible to always use a Dakota firepit.

·
Swift Justice = 2950fps
10,397 Posts
My question is.

Thanks!
When SHTF, you won't settle your differences with an attacker, by shooting paper targets at 50 yards.
For 7.62x39, I zero at 300 yards.
For 308, I zero at 800 yards
Placing rounds in a torso size target at those a ranges is accurate enough for me.

·
Team 30-30 Mem. #190
313 Posts
More importantly, why are you making the severe tactial error of being in open country, in daylight? You need the resources and protection of thickly wooded hillls. In such areas, the ability of enemies to see and hit you from long range is greatly reduced. That is what you want. You can't be watching always, not moving. You need fire for heat and cooking and smoke will call in your enemies. Trees help to obscure that smoke. In frozen ground, it's often not feasible to always use a Dakota firepit.
Think like a deer, it's always worked for them.

·
Awesome
16,786 Posts
if you can estimate the distance of a target and instinctively apply the necessary hold over (or hold under) at any range out to 400 yards then youre better off than most people

·
Tin Can Sailor
3,225 Posts
The Army had us qualify on the M-4 with targets from 50 - 300 meters away. We had flip up rear and fixed forward sights. A battle zero will allow you to hit a man-size target out to 300 meters.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I set my sights on 5.56 rifles three inches high at 100 yards. You'll be "minute of man" from 0 to 400 yards.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts