Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Long Term Survival Expert
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any of you own a Ruger 10/22 and how accurate yours is. Mine is okay, but not as good as I like. Since this is the only 11/22 I have ever owned and I bought it used, I am not sure about it. I can shoot about a two inch pattern at 50 yards. How about yours?

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Sounds about par with my experience. Some claim much better. Most people don't want to think they made a mistake. They are still keepers. I wish they were more accurate. It may be hit and miss. I usually line up on the miss.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
.22 rifles are funny things when it comes to ammo. To find out how well your 10/22 will really shoot go buy 5 or 6 different brands of 22 long rifle ammo. Shoot a 10 shot group with each brand at 50 yards off a bench. You will be amazed at the difference. If you get lucky it will shoot the cheapest ammo the best.

·
BowHunter
2,232 Posts
3/4 inch at a hundred YRDs, have hit gophers at 300(aim WAY high) I use CCI minimags. I have owned 5 different 10/22's. all of them liked the CCI.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all. I have heard some say that semi-autos are not as accurate as bolt action or single shot break-overs. Do you think this is true?

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
With mine I can put 5 shots in 3 holes at 100 yards...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I was just wondering if any of you own a Ruger 10/22 and how accurate yours is. Mine is okay, but not as good as I like. Since this is the only 11/22 I have ever owned and I bought it used, I am not sure about it. I can shoot about a two inch pattern at 50 yards. How about yours?
Thats not bad concidering it's a .22 If you were to give it a full length bedding (thin barrels such as on a .22 do better when full length bedded than free floated) and have the trigger done up you would probably take a half inch off that... but you do have to remember that a .22 isnt a long distance round. There ARE some .22s that will do MOA but you are talking big dollar rifles.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Thanks to all. I have heard some say that semi-autos are not as accurate as bolt action or single shot break-overs. Do you think this is true?
No it isnt true, CMP shooters have disproven this time and again. The things that make a rifle accurate are the barrel and the rifling, and how they interact with the ammunition that said barrel is being used with. The barrel may work better free floated or it may work better full length bedded. It may even work best with a pound of pressure at the tip of the forend. It depends on the type of barrel. Thin barrels tend to work best full length bedded Heavy barrels free floated. The next thing that determines accuracy is your sights and how YOU as a shooter relate to them and use them for a consistent sight picture. Next the trigger, a good crisp consistent trigger pull is an absolute must. I personally love a two stage pull, others hate them. And finally how the stock fits... if it's too short a consistent hold is difficult. If this is the case a molded recoil pad made for ruger stocks can add an inch...

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
it's aim is better than mine... but it is picky about ammo. The ammo has more to do with accuracy than the rifle when it comes to the 10/22.

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No it isnt true, CMP shooters have disproven this time and again. The things that make a rifle accurate are the barrel and the rifling, and how they interact with the ammunition that said barrel is being used with. The barrel may work better free floated or it may work better full length bedded. It may even work best with a pound of pressure at the tip of the forend. It depends on the type of barrel. Thin barrels tend to work best full length bedded Heavy barrels free floated. The next thing that determines accuracy is your sights and how YOU as a shooter relate to them and use them for a consistent sight picture. Next the trigger, a good crisp consistent trigger pull is an absolute must. I personally love a two stage pull, others hate them. And finally how the stock fits... if it's too short a consistent hold is difficult. If this is the case a molded recoil pad made for ruger stocks can add an inch...
Thanks. I consider myself to be a good shot. I have a Savage 243 that I consistently shoot a dime size pattern with at 100 yards. I have taken over 20 deer with this rifle at distances up to 300 yards, all head shots (because I don't care about antlers and body shots waste a lot of meat).

·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From reading these post it looks like I need to buy several different brands of ammo and hit the range to see which one the gun like the best. Thanks

·
11B3P
754 Posts
Both of my Rugers with iron sights are about 2 inches at 50 yds offhand.I have not set them up with scopes nor I have never had any problems tearing out the center of paper plates at 100 yds.
They both also happen to love CCI ammo.

My first 10/22 was bought in the late 80's IIRC and I bought a companion to it around the year 2000. Both are still shooting fine and I sometimes use the original rotary magazine I got in the 80's.:eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
A good 10/22 should be within an inch at 50 yards - 1/2 inch is also doable. We're not talking an out-of-the box rifle though.

As for the claims of 3/4 of an inch or through the same hole at 100 yards with a 10/22, CCI ammo, etc...- I know it's the "internet" but to keep it simple and to the point: NOPE! No way!

If someone was living in SoCal and claiming the same thing, I would give him $ 100 if he could prove he can do that 4 times out of 5 with groups of 5 rounds while I watch but I would ask him to be ready to give me the same amount if he could not make it. Any taker can PM me and heck, I'll even film it and eat crows if he/she can do it. Offer valid until the end of Nov 2008 :) - I need money so please volunteer!

Let's keep the claims real... I've done enough precision matches to see what people can and can not do - it IS possible to achieve a 3/4 inch group or 5 shots withing 3 holes at 100 yards once in a while (Heck if you shoot long enough it will happen - like winning lotto or a horse race) but it's very FAR from being the norm.

·
Registered
101 Posts
my 10/22 likes Federal bulk ammo. Out of 50 yards, I got a 2 inch group. I even shot half a lime on top of the target stands with it. I was just using the iron sights and no mods were done to it. I think the 10/22 is accurate out of the box.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, you can also say that a 2 inch group at 50 yards is accurate too. It all depends on what you need the rifle for. Accurate is a relative term.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts