Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
here some of the rifles that are at bug out location and what they are capable of.
h&r handi rifle in 308 win with tasco world class scope 4x16x50mm is capable of 1 inch groups at 100yards all day long with 165gr macth grade ammo.
243 win with bull barrel and 24 power scope can pop a coyote a 400 yards with 55gr bullets.
mosin nagant 38 and m44 carbine 7.62x54r can be very accurate if you do your part out a 150 yards groups sizes are a respectable 2 to 3 inch groups with iron sights.
winchester 94 .44mag carbine holds good groups at 75 yards with 240gr softpoints
ruger .44 mag semi auto carbine is about on par with win 94 with same load. these are the ones that were just recently sighted in.

·
Simple Man
428 Posts
Most guns will be way more accurate than the shooters skill.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have a Winchester Model 54 .270...factory custom, made in 1926 as a special order by one of my relatives. Part of the special order was that the stock was hand bedded, the barrel was hand lapped, and the action was trued and squared to the lugs, chamber, and barrel. This rifle (despite being as old as it is) will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 meters with me behind it (and a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x50 scope on it). I'm sure it could shoot more accurately than that if a professional sniper were shooting it.

--Wintermute

·
FNG
106 Posts
I also shot expert with the M16, but the gun, as said before, is MUCH more accurate than I am. My AK is pritty accurate at 100yrds, but was intended for up to 300yrds. And the elevation sight goes up to 1000yrds. I stick to 100yrds because that is the furthest my range has.

·
Registered
798 Posts
My two most accurate weapons are a Winchester pre64 M70. Shoots .75 MOA @100 meters with handloads. "168gr. hornady national match BTHP. 47.5gr of IMR 4895.

My other good shooter is my Savage 10fp. I sat it in a Major Plastor Ultimate Sniper Stock and put a harris bipod on it and a bushnell 6500 elite scope on it. havent made handloads yet but it shoots .75moa with black hills match 168gr BTHP. I think with a handload I could get .50 MOA.

Anyway, Thats the best I can do.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't use scopes, but I do own a 30-30 right now. I can blow heads off deer at over 120 yards open sight in twilight. I guess I'm an alright shot. Last time I went to the range, I shot 90/100 in 10 ring on a 25-yard target with my .45 1911. The rest were either 8 or 9 ring.

It may help getting most of my genes from my grandfather who was a Marines Scout sniper back in the early days of true sniper school after WWII (he served in the Korean war). I am pretty accurate with my guns, but I could do better. I practice alot.

·
357 Mag, sex for the hand
439 Posts
My Lancaster Ak 4" group at a 150 yards

Savage .17 hmr 1" at a 100

Mossberg 500 with the smootbore barrell 1/4 group at 500 yards with buck shot!

·
Hubris begets Nemesis
7,751 Posts
How accurate do you need to be?

There are (at least) two kinds of shooters. The first is concerned with making their groups as tight as possible on paper targets. Placing a second shot through an existing hole is even better. Competition shooters and snipers fall into this catagory.

The other kind is satisfied with placing their shots within the kill zone of the thoracic or cranial area of the target. Their groups may not be as tight as those from the first shooter, but they are "good enough for gov't work".

I used to be more obsessed with tight group target shooting but have changed my ideas to become the second type of shooter as I've gotten older.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
I still use iron sites. I do not know if I can still hit at 500 yards but 300 should still be doable. Anything less is close range and inside of 50 yards is for slugs.

·
Registered
350 Posts
How accurate do you need to be?
I think that would depend on the range at which you are shooting. If you are trying to takea shot at 800 meters...an extreme level of accuracy definetely counts.

Many tactical rifles such as the AK have sights that mark all the way out to 1000 meters or so...truth is that at about 500 meters, those are going to put your round coming down generally in the right area...not even hitting a single person, and definetely not hitting center mass. Those sights are meant for battle fields...at 800 meters in a battle field, the focus at that distance is pretty much to put the rounds right around the right spot and maybe hit your target, or maybe hit the guy next to him (or at the very least, keep them from taking aim and maybe hitting you or the guy next to you).

--Wintermute

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
I was shooting 1/2 gallon booze bottles at 600 + - 10 yards on Sat.
Very hard too see, other then the glint at that distance when they are empty.
I shot 6 with 147 gr, tungsten core .30 cal. bullets, and 3 with 150 gr. tracers after that.
That was all the shots I took, and destroyed all the bottles.
I figured they were a good representation of a head sized target.
The rifle is more accurate than I am though.
Remington LSS .300 WSM 68.4 gr, Accurate 4350 CCI Magnum primers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
None of this response is brag worthy. I do a lot of shooting at the range which makes a big difference in my hunting all year, and I get to see the effects of practice at the range, in live action, moving and such, dealing with cover, breathing and addrenaline in which accuracy usually decreases slightly for most people, myself included. It is reasonable to assume, that under some butt-puckering return fire, accuracy will not be the same and decreased even further, but at least I am more comfortable with the weapon's and my limitations in these various conditions.
The range work is setup to mimic and aid hunting situations, off-hand, uncomfortable situations, etc. Rarely benchrest except to sight in scopes.

two .22 bolt-action rifles (1 is a Mauser action and long barreled that makes almost no noise), open sights, 2 inch spreads at 50 yards, off hand. Minute of rabbit at 50 yards in the field consistently.

.223 semi-auto, 16 inch barrel, with 1.5 x 5 scope for in CQB set-up that does minute of head at 100 yds all day long and lays 3 inch spreads at 50 yds with both eyes open, fast action, off hand. No field work.

7.62 x 39 semi-auto, 16 inch barrel, with fast-acquisition open sights, 2 to 3 inch fast action spreads at 50 yards, 5 inch or so at 100 yds, off hand. An absolute boar harvester open sighted at 50 yards. Commonly worried about getting charge or knocked down by an unseen produces tons of addrenaline.

.30 -'06 Santa Barbara Mauser, 3 x 9 scope, 1 inch all day from a rest at 100 yds, 2 - 3 inch spreads, off hand, at 100 yds. Use always off hand while hunting, vitals always hit, behind shoulder, 4x at 50 to 75 yards. Lots of addrenaline processing.

.22, .380, 9 mm, .45 cal semi-autos, 4 inch shooter at 25 ft. (I am not a great pistolier) draw/fire drills and movement drills. As many have stated before, I should only use my pistol to fight my way back to my rifle.

Short barreled 12 guage defense shotgun and 3 choke system compensated long barrel bird gun. I have never used them at the range but I am more than competant with the later in the field and what can you say about a defense shotgun loaded with .00. buckshot except... run! This thing qualifies as a total room clearer as would anyone elses in that common configuration.

proficiency qualified .45, M16, 12 guage short barreled folding stock.

Although I am sure that I could achieve greater accurate distance with the
.30 - '06, or the .223 without CQB scope, and 7.62x39 without ghost sights, I have no experience doing so. All of these weapons are far more accurate than I have experience or ability with, but in potential defense situations I feel reasonably confident within a hundred yards. Outside of 100 yds., I think that I would be very quiet and move slowly away. ;)

My favorite weapon to fire....22's. I dont know why, I just love them!

lima-charlie

·
Dingleberry
156 Posts
I rest my Marlin bolt-action .22 on the roof of my truck (under a pad) and sit on a lawn chair in the bed of the truck. I have it sighted in to hit a dime-size target at 50 yards easily. Prettty happy with it.

·
Destroyer of Ignorance
2,988 Posts
I know this is going to sound nuts ... my CETME is rediculously accurate. Last time I was at the range, I put 5 rounds into the same hole at 100 yards. Hell, I didn't think I was capable of that, LOL.

My AR is fairly accurate, the AK is a "general area" rifle and my bolt actions are all pretty damned accurate at 100 yards.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Wow! Has anything been done to "accurize" it?

rick
No, besides attacking an aftermarket receiver and scope from cabelas that is rock solid and also allows me to peep through and still use the iron sights.

So I guess rethinking my answer to your question, I should change it to a "yes".. But the scope and receiver combo cost me under $50..

I also use el-cheapo Wolf ammo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts