Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wow
Are the Silver bugs still happy they didn't include Gold in their disaster kits? (I own both, but at the moment I wish I had even more Gold and less silver.) Without an increase in industrial activity and high oil prices to drive Solar and super conductors etc. etc. Silver demand is going to have to come from the Silver bugs. Step up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm happy.

I couldn't afford Gold before getting the rest of my preps in order but I have been building up a small stockpile of Silver as I go. Makes me feel happy to have something of value other than cash on-hand, even if it's not Gold. I'll add Gold eventually, but in the meantime I'll still be adding Silver while it's dormant.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Gold is the ultimate wealth consolidator, silver is not. One gram of gold is a far better store of wealth than one ounce of silver.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
COMEX available silver for trade went from 100 million ounces to 28 million ounces.

Sometimes its not just the price but the demand.

Germany just ran out of Gold coins, so you can't buy it for any amount there.

Silver will follow.

With the European meltdown underway, the big boys with billions to protect, are not going to buy Silver. They are going to Buy Gold, as they have to buy less volume.

When Gold levels up, you should see Silver go up.

In the meantime, it just means that its still time to buy Silver.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Each one is saved to save my wealth. Since I bought it at 6.00 and 285.00 I think I'm doing pretty well. But there not to spend unless fiat crashes or isn't excepted anymore. And if I need to to pass on to my kids.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I'm really happy! I started buying silver in 2000 around 4.00 oz and stopped buying silver when it broke the unbelievable price of 8.00 oz! It closed today at 37.95 so i'm between a 4 - 700% return for this I should be sulking?

At the time gold was right around 250.00-400.00 oz it closed at 1,749.00 4-600% return.

points is right now some of my silver is still out performing gold

http://goldprice.org/gold-price-history.html

http://silverprice.org/silver-price-history.html

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Silver is the better deal:thumb:

I agree with this guy below!:D:

The spot price of gold jumped 3% to touch an all-time intra-day high of $1,720 per ounce, and then $1,723 in after-hours trading. And since silver is considered more of an industrial metal than gold, it drifted downward to just $38.65 per ounce. These atypical disparate moves in silver and gold brought the silver-to-gold ratio to a whopping 44-to-1. In my opinion, this is now a great time to ratio trade out of gold and into silver. And, FWIW, I've been taking my own advice on that, since Friday. (I was a busy boy at the gun show last Friday, buying guns and ammo as well as swapping several gold American Eagles for pre-1965 dimes, quarters, and halves.) If you've been dawdling, now is the time to get your family preparations squared away.
http://www.survivalblog.com/

·
Patiently Waiting
6,086 Posts
Amidst all the chaos of the last week, we have seen gold reach record highs on the back of fear. Silver meanwhile stood it's ground and neither gave nor lost much.

This says to me that investors in silver see it as a rock solid investment while the herd rush for the stock market exit door that is gold. Don't get me wrong, I'd love some gold, but silver has shown it can weather the storm which only makes it more attractive as a long term investment.

Economy tanks, silver finds itself a precious metal once again. Economy booms, silver finds itself an important commodity in high demand. Either way, silver wins.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Think long term, we are still in the early innings. I agree its good to diversify and have some gold however gold has a much higher chance of being made illegal to own again by the govt.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I have only a small amount of physical gold. The premium is just too high when purchasing anything less than an ounce at a time

I'm still sticking with silver for now. I'm not upset in the least in how it's performed as an investment in the last 5 years and I don't regret it one bit.

Plus, it gives me more flexibility if I need to sell. I can't break a gold Eagle in half if I need $900, but I can pretty easily get rid of a roll of silver Eagles.

·
Joe McCarthy was Right!
4,789 Posts
Are the Silver bugs still happy they didn't include Gold in their disaster kits? (I own both, but at the moment I wish I had even more Gold and less silver.) Without an increase in industrial activity and high oil prices to drive Solar and super conductors etc. etc. Silver demand is going to have to come from the Silver bugs. Step up.
Silver demand will come when they abandon the current fiat system and start minting in silver again. Not that that will be any time soon mind you.

·
Joe McCarthy was Right!
4,789 Posts
I have only a small amount of physical gold. The premium is just too high when purchasing anything less than an ounce at a time

I'm still sticking with silver for now. I'm not upset in the least in how it's performed as an investment in the last 5 years and I don't regret it one bit.

Plus, it gives me more flexibility if I need to sell. I can't break a gold Eagle in half if I need $900, but I can pretty easily get rid of a roll of silver Eagles.
Sure you can, ever hear of pieces of 8? They are named that because you could hack off a piece or 2.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Why wouldn't they be happy - last year at this time silver was still below 20 - now it is $39. Doubled in a year? I'll take that. Even if you want to take a shorter view it is up a out 30% since the beginning of this year. Oh wait - I guess you just want to look at the last week huh?

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
Great point Crackshot,I agree. I'm amazed that cutting up coins gold or silver would not be considered a workable method. Several times in 3rd world remote places I've seen coins cut in pieces. I never saw them used but they were sitting in a jar or can.

It makes since that as long as you can still make out the details on the coin you will know purity. Then its just a matter of weighing the piece and agreeing on value.

This system worked in the old days without all the high tech fluff and it will work again. It's people that need to learn to deal in things the way the old timers did.

Red

Sure you can, ever hear of pieces of 8? They are named that because you could hack off a piece or 2.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Gold is the ultimate wealth consolidator, silver is not. One gram of gold is a far better store of wealth than one ounce of silver.
Bad comparison... Unless all you are going to buy is one gram of gold...

lets compare dollar to dollar. let say I bought both 1 year ago....

Silver was at $19
Gold was at $1200.

So I could buy 1 oz of gold for $1200 or 63 oz of silver

if i sold them today

I would make about $600 on the gold
I would make $1200 on the silver

So IF you could go back in time... which would you buy then....?????

·
Legalize the Constitution
77 Posts
I'm also Happy. I picked it up when it was at 29/oz. That was last November I think. So far, It going great. And from what I understand, Sliver is a metal that is much harder to recycle as gold is easy to. One of the reasons why Silver is becoming more in demand.

·
Legalize the Constitution
77 Posts

Silver was at $19
Gold was at $1200.

if i sold them today

Ditto! Exactly, in 2008 I bought most of my money into Gold Bullion. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with it. :thumb: But I didn't figure out the silver deal until 2 years later, I wish I has just dropped that money on silver, I would have made triple. :eek:

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
At the moment gold supply is incredibly tight in Europe (wonder why?) so when the physical market for gold dries up sometime this fall at the same time that the PM mass hysteria (one of Germany´s newspapers recommended their readers to buy) tbreaks out silver will skyrocket. Hold on, it will not disapoint.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I wouldn't buy gold even if you told me it was going up to $3000/oz. Why? Because it has no purpose other than for jewelry. Yes, it once was money and I love the idea of a gold standard to curb inflation of a money supply, but those days are gone. It will never again be money and there will never be a gold standard again. If any commodity standard is implemented, it will be a basket of goods (one of which might be gold). The SHTF and you'll have a pile of yellow metal that nobody will want after the new currency is put into place. You'll unload all that metal for pennies on the dollar into the new currency.

Silver on the other hand has an actual industrial use. After SHTF is over and the new currency is in place, industry is going to need all the silver they can get their hands on. It'll be a matter of supply and demand at that time.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,410 Posts

Silver was at $19
Gold was at $1200.

if i sold them today

Depends on how much wealth I want to invest.

If I have 2-5k I'd buy only silver (I did at $14).

If I have 25k I'd buy some in gold and some in silver (cover both bets)

But if I had 160k from the sale of a house I'd put the bulk of it into gold, because 160k would equal 8400 oz of silver.
8400 troy oz weighs 700 lbs.

The same amount in gold weighs 11 lbs. Which can I hide or move more easily.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts