Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool for a novelty...like a kooky retiree lake home...kinda like the lady in the bottom pic. I was wondering how their structural integrity would compare to a bus if it were partially buried, as the thread from earlier touched on. Personally I wold recycle the aluminum and buy something with the cash...but they are still cool...:D:

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Good...someone finally ...gets it!!
point is, the high prices were for some artist homebuilder to put one together for ya. I've personally seen somewhat smaller fuselages for sale in scrap yards while Ove been on roadtrips. Nestled in the woods, a chunk of one could be utliized on a piece of hidden rural property, and painted/planted to blend in just as well as any airstream trailer.
I don't imagine I'd try to put one where there are HOA rules or deed restrictions; could you imagine looking out your window and seeing the neighbor planting that on the vacant lot that just sold?! Ha...still, I've seen some trailer parks that these things would blend right in with, beyond the sheer size!

not to mention, the old lady that bought the 727 and is in the pic by her pond in the first post...HER place isn't MUCH more distinct from ABOVE...heh heh

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have a friend who has WAY too much money...he lives in a housing development that has a private landing strip and each home has it's own hangar. he has teh cockpit of a 747 setup as a seating area for 2 complete with all controls and instruments protruding from the second story of his home overlooking the landing strip...in addition to the side of it on the exterior of the home he has an ex NBA scoreboard that is wired to the cockpit and he judges other people's landings and posts their score from 1-10 on the illuminated billboard for all to see...too funny...it is amazing what people will think of when they have more money than they know what to do with. the features that i have mentioned barely scratch the surface of the bizarre things this guy has spent money on for home entertainment but i would be drifting FAR off topic to go any further.

i have slept in the fuselage of one of these retired planes at a reclusive friend of mines property...he paid less than $20K for his BUT the transportation costs were substantial and he had to cut many trees to clear a path into his wooded property to accomodate the transportation and installation...it is definitely interesting but in my opinion it is not real convenient, all of the cabinetry, doors, dividers and such that he has installed to make it a 'home' of sorts require much more extensive work than a normal 'square' structure...and just like an a-frame there really is no place to hang anything on the walls as they are without building a vertical wall of sorts. but it is definitely unique and not somehting everyone can say that they have.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
its cute- but impractical in my opinion. Aircraft are designed to be very light- making a comprimise between strength and thrust to weight ratio. Personally, I'd rather see something that wouldn't fly apart in a tornado. not to mention resistant to ballistic impacts

1 - 16 of 16 Posts