Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gasoline is getting hard to find in Houston proper it seems.
The stations with electrical power are running out and the ones without power can't pump it.
Here's an excerpt from a post on another board:
In the burb there seems to be gas, power an provisions. Inside the city, people's frustations are a little more intense because these things are harder to come by. Of course, this doesn't excuse rude behaviour.
I hope it doen't turn too nasty,....there has been shootings already from the frustrated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
my truck's full -- from gas cans I had on hand...and I'm staying armed as I drive ... I hope they get stuff running asap to relieve a lot of this. I was in central Tx on Sun, to check on my evac people, and coming back on Mon passed a whole lot of service trucks coming in. This is only Tues ...hopefully we can give them at least a few days to affect recovery. I also saw an awful lot of people coming back to an area that wasn't ready for them. I know of one personally that came back ... and 2 days later went evac again....well duh .. no power - no water ... what do you expect? The people that evac'd didn't hear or didn't listen to the authorities saying they should stay evac'd until at least half the utilities were restored. I know I've seen a lot of crews working on it...

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
there have been fights aplenty. LOTS of looting too. When I get my photos in I'll post my proof. Ive been working like a dog as emergency security- and volunteering where I can where I'm not- until I got sick of the sham.

Those FEMA PODs are a complete scam. The distribution points are picked seemingly at random.

Can the use a nice wide area thats easy to get to? Of course not, they choose a church yard thats the size of a small gas station, loaded with downd powerlines and trees, and surrounded by roads narrower than Newt Gingrich's mind. ALSO. Not only will you be told that you must park and wait in line for 3 to 4 hours, but at the end of that they decide to close down that line and make everyone go back to their cars and wait in a different line. at which point you are told that no one really has control over what the PODs get, the one I was at in the Heights for instance- recieved nothing but water and ice. no MREs; the abbreviated MREs at that.

Of course I really didnt need the MREs exactly- but I did screw up in having food that needs to be cooked even if it is nonperishible. No way to do that. And having a mother living with you that refuses to eat anything you give her because its not what she wants, then hounds you for days on end for coffee, generally acting like a spoiled child... Lets just say I thought about adding 1 to the Ike death toll.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
there have been fights aplenty. LOTS of looting too. When I get my photos in I'll post my proof. Ive been working like a dog as emergency security- and volunteering where I can where I'm not- until I got sick of the sham.

Those FEMA PODs are a complete scam. The distribution points are picked seemingly at random.

Can the use a nice wide area thats easy to get to? Of course not, they choose a church yard thats the size of a small gas station, loaded with downd powerlines and trees, and surrounded by roads narrower than Newt Gingrich's mind. ALSO. Not only will you be told that you must park and wait in line for 3 to 4 hours, but at the end of that they decide to close down that line and make everyone go back to their cars and wait in a different line. at which point you are told that no one really has control over what the PODs get, the one I was at in the Heights for instance- recieved nothing but water and ice. no MREs; the abbreviated MREs at that.

Of course I really didnt need the MREs exactly- but I did screw up in having food that needs to be cooked even if it is nonperishible. No way to do that. And having a mother living with you that refuses to eat anything you give her because its not what she wants, then hounds you for days on end for coffee, generally acting like a spoiled child... Lets just say I thought about adding 1 to the Ike death toll.
Glad you are OK, Dwind. Be careful, stay safe.

·
Renegade Vegan
175 Posts
Of course I really didnt need the MREs exactly- but I did screw up in having food that needs to be cooked even if it is nonperishible. No way to do that.
:xeye: Dang, 5,000 posts on here and you never thought to have a back up way to cook? Standing in line for water?

Sorry if this sounds rude, I don't mean it that way, I'm just shocked. I'm glad you're safe and doing well enough to be out helping other folks! You're to be commended for that.

I'm sure we can all learn something from your missed opportunity to prep and from your selflessness in helping others.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I have people in Houston. For a few years, now, I had been bringing up the subject of being prepared, but had not always been met with much enthusiasm. This year, said people came to visit and I showed and talked a bit about my preps supplies. They had actually rode out Rita with a pizza and a case of beer. That was it. Ok, not as bad as Ike, but geez...After their visit, we spoke more over the phone.

My prayers were finally answered (I was always soo worried), because this time, said people had went and laid in a substantial amount of supplies. Food, water, fuel, power source, cooking source, communication, building and repair materials, more protection, cash on hand. Before this, they literally wouldn't even keep any leftover dinner they had in the fridge - out it went. They've opened their eyes to some things and started to realize what could happen in a bad event.

After Ike hit the fan, the first time I was able to get through to them, the first thing they did was read me a list of 'everything' they had. I was so relieved, and proud...! They had decided to take their vacation $ and "put it to a more pressing use right now." As of today, they still have not had to go through the gas lines or the food lines. Just sittin at home. This is their second hurricane.

God bless TX, I will be doing my own little part to help out.

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Good to know your still with us, take care, be safe and.......... good luck with your mom.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
We are starting to see this in Indiana after our large hit from the storms, so far only a few stations are out but if it doesn't clear up a little faster we are most likely in for a wild ride. Price on the way home from work was $4.29 for regular at every station in town. I cant check the highway cause its closed :)

Good to see all are OK for now at least

1 - 9 of 9 Posts