Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I like to know where they get that info. Because in Houston there are 6 million Texans. That isn't even counting the surrounding area. 300 members of "checkpoint team" couldn't even lock down our two international airports.

Not even mention that the department is short 2000+ officers. How they would be able task 300 officers for such an operation doesn't seem feasible. If there was a major problem they would need those 300 souls just to try to keep some sort of order. In a population center this size they better dial up the Army.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
there are legal and practicle reasons for check points. even though inforwars likes to portray everything as a march to NWO the facts almost always say different.

·
American fearmaker
14,243 Posts
Guys, a number of police agencies and local governments are being hit with a crisis involving funding. Illinois State Police announced today that they will be laying off about 400 troopers. A medium sized town, Peoria, Illinois, had to let 16 rookie officers go because of a money crunch. A number of small towns and villages throughout central Illinois are having to do away with their police departments and much of their maintence staff too. Some county governments are finding it very hard to fund their operations. It is very possible that you will see more and more staff reductions or complete shutdowns of police agencies, sewage plants and street departments.

What Houston may be doing is establishing checkpoints not for routine paper examinations but to place officers, what few that they'll have left, in key places so you can go to them to get help. For many years checkpoint placement of police officers was thought to be a way to reduce gasoline/fuel costs. It's a sort of modern version of the old call box phones from back in the early 1900s.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Funny I remenber O-monkey taking credit for adding police officers to payrolls. I know there was not a long term plan just like all his empty hope and change!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Herd Sniper quote:Guys, a number of police agencies and local governments are being hit with a crisis involving funding. Illinois State Police announced today that they will be laying off about 400 troopers. Quote

while Texas could use help against the cartels and at the borders, Illinois is losing possibly 460 troopers plus soon to retire troopers for a 30+ percent reduction in state police. This means over 600 lost.
Meanwhile we are spending over $90 million to rebuild roads and upgrade power plants in Pakistan where a poll indicated that over 60% of the country does not like the U.S.
Duh!!!

·
Christian mingler
7,381 Posts
Guys, a number of police agencies and local governments are being hit with a crisis involving funding. Illinois State Police announced today that they will be laying off about 400 troopers. A medium sized town, Peoria, Illinois, had to let 16 rookie officers go because of a money crunch. A number of small towns and villages throughout central Illinois are having to do away with their police departments and much of their maintence staff too. Some county governments are finding it very hard to fund their operations. It is very possible that you will see more and more staff reductions or complete shutdowns of police agencies, sewage plants and street departments.

What Houston may be doing is establishing checkpoints not for routine paper examinations but to place officers, what few that they'll have left, in key places so you can go to them to get help. For many years checkpoint placement of police officers was thought to be a way to reduce gasoline/fuel costs. It's a sort of modern version of the old call box phones from back in the early 1900s.
same here in iowa, trying to find a way not to lay off troopers.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
From the article: "Houston, being one of the largest cities in the nation in both population and square-mileage, will be hard to lock-down without adequate manpower."

You couldn't "lock down" Houston with a full infantry division. The police might be able to contain a particular neighborhood if there were a riot. We could have used something like that during the Rodney Riots. Instead their commanders hid in the stations and forbade the rank and file from doing anything.

There aren't enough police in any city to "lock it down". With typical ratios of 1000 people per police officer at any given time, any attempt to do so would be a joke. The author either hasn't thought their conclusions through or is just trying to stir things up.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
houston is like 2 million square miles or something

Reactions: brutalsun

·
I'll bring the rope.
1,354 Posts
there are legal and practicle reasons for check points.
A point I always try to interject is that in the state of Texas, if you are driving along and see a sobriety checkpoint up ahead, you are allowed to stop, turn around, and try to find another avenue that avoids said checkpoint. The police cannot use this evasive driving as a reason to detain you.

The courts have ruled that your act of avoiding checkpoints does not amount to probable cause, so yay.

I love this state!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have not seen such check points, but rest assured that if this is fact ya'll will hear about it from me personally.
BTW boldimagery, it's 6 million WITH surrounding areas, 3.5 mil in Houston metro. To give ya'll a size estimate, traveling west to east, it is about 80 miles from now entering Houston to now leaving Houston and north to south is about the same. From my house which is about 1 mile from where Houston can collect taxes it's 35 miles to downtown.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
With widespread reductions in manpower, they will start having to make the most of it and actually fight crime instead of perpetuating the cycle and pursuing statistics.

Most cops, not all, but most are concerned with making $ for their departments not chasing down criminals. If there is no seizure or fine to gain, they aren't interested. The most common arrest here is for no insurance on your vehicle for which it's a $600 fine, 6 points and car impounded! This is so because insurance companies can't go after you with no insurance and nobody gets a big fat settlement for not paying attention.

Around here, they all get grants for seatbelt enforcement every summer and every officer is expected to write his salary in seatbelt tickets every day. Here, you have the option of paying the $15 to charity... to the Fire Department.

We have 20% of our force on DUI and traffic enforcement. A DUI nets the state and others contributors (lawyers, insurance, lawmakers, police) with $25,000 over the course of 3-5 years. Let's see:

$1500 fine, SR22 for 3 years on all vehicles (god help you if you have an airplane), LEO training surcharge, Impound fees, Court fees, Jail fees, Lawyer fees, Alcohol screening, blood toximeter, breathalizer test fees, Counseling fees, vehicle alcohol monitor. That's for the first offense. It's a racket.

I have never heard of a police department not starving for funding, staffing, pay raises, fewer hours, fewer days and more toys.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
this is why I don't listen to Alex Jones.

Reactions: fat larry

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Guns per million ?

Unless I am really wrong here - there are millions of gun owners in Texas and they would NOT take kindly to being stopped by an carbine armed LEO and told to not go somewhere.Might get himself riddled with LOTS of gunfire.And I am a very lawabiding citizen,and ex - LEO.But that is what I see.

·
American fearmaker
14,243 Posts
I have never heard of a police department not starving for funding, staffing, pay raises, fewer hours, fewer days and more toys.

Guess what, easy money? Pay very close attention to the news over the next few months. City, county, regional and state police agencies are hurting for funding. Around where I live a number of small towns and villages have begun to lay off officers and have begun to reduce work hours for other employees. It is spreading like wildfire too. With the reduction of police agencies, you can expect an increase in crime. That means that your welfare or the safety of your family members may be at risk sooner than you imagine. Let's see how this goes over the next couple of years. This mandated reduction of police, next it will be military personnel, is something that I sort of expected to be as a marker for the start of things hitting the fan. Like I said, a reduction of military forces will soon be implemented. Wait and see.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts