Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what the business was, or why the heck they would have a large volume of propylene with similar explosive characteristics as acetylene, in an area with homes but they said a propylene explosion this morning heavily damaged 180 homes in the area. Some blown off their foundations. Couple fatalities.

Almost hate to mention this with everything else going on, but looks like it was extremely powerful.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/building-explosion-felt-northwest-houston/story?id=68500936

https://www.wsj.com/articles/houston-blast-kills-at-least-two-11579886106

"The explosion, at around 4:30 a.m. at Watson Grinding & Manufacturing Co., leveled buildings, damaged hundreds of homes and shook the ground for miles. The cause is under investigation. Fire officials said it appeared a tank of propylene gas was leaking.

The company couldn’t be reached for comment Friday. Its website says it provides full-service manufacturing and precision grinding of large parts and exotic alloys.

Authorities said they suspected the two men killed were Watson employees, Police Chief Art Acevedo said at a news conference. An ambulance took another man to the hospital with cuts after the blast sent his truck flying. Hospitals reported 18 people checked themselves into emergency rooms with minor injuries."

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
9,695 Posts
Justme11, you do a lot of news reports of disasters happening around Huston, and yes I know you live there, but I just wanted to say thank you for all of these posts you do because every single disaster that happens in Huston, could just as easy have been our own backyards. These posts you make like this one should be a wake up call to all of us who call ourselves preppers. Because one never know when disaster will strike. So again my friend, thank you.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,690 Posts
I have no idea. Hope not.
Kitty lives in the northeast, explosion was in the northwest.

For those not familiar to Houston scale, moving from one side to the other is like most of a hour going by a surface and freeway route if traffic isn't heavy. Going to diagonal opposite corners is an hour and a half. Add commute traffic and you can add 45 minutes to either total. All of that assuming you don't leave the city, which is only half the population in the Metro. Houston is pretty damn huge.

Where I live in the southwest of town, if I was in Rhode Island, then Kitty would be in another state.

My county is 1777 square miles and RI is only 1214.

Watson Grinding and Manufacturing is a machine part finishing company. Final grinding, polishing, and coatings on specialty metal parts. The tank that went up was likely part of their custom coatings business. Polypropylene is used as a base coat to allow harder outside coats have better adhesion.

http://www.watsongrinding.com/

Meh, it's just another factory explosion here. Happens all the time.

A couple widows are going to meet lawyers tomorrow who will offer them lotto money to just go away.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,577 Posts
A lot of folks don't realize how large the Petro-Chemical complexes are here and the facilities that support them

Accidents and explosions aren't near as common as they use to be as safety is a huge thing here but they still happen

They deal with some very volatile substances in the refining and distillation of oil and its products

A lot of these complexes have had ever expanding neighborhoods built in somewhat close which leads to issues when bad things happen

It's the nature of the beast though, things that no one really thinks about when they drive their car and utilize all the products that come from oil

Zeke:

You're being a bit conservative in your driving estimates :D:

I'm in the SE, not in town but down towards Galveston.......Welcome neighbors!

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,955 Posts
I'm fine, not my neck of the woods.

Remember 95% of my crap got "packed out" during all this so I am pretty sparse here.

The only big thing near me is not dangerous, so not worried about that. We made sure of this when we bought the house.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
I'm fine, not my neck of the woods.

Remember 95% of my crap got "packed out" during all this so I am pretty sparse here.

The only big thing near me is not dangerous, so not worried about that. We made sure of this when we bought the house.
I read this , and the first thing I was thinking was oh my...PK's house blew up...:eek:

Glad you are ok

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,955 Posts
Nothing to worry about over here, just a food wholesaler and some light industrial nearby.

BUT, quiet, on a bus line, can have all the cats, big yard, one story, not far from work, etc.

I will be praying for those affected.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,690 Posts
Zeke:

You're being a bit conservative in your driving estimates :D:

I'm in the SE, not in town but down towards Galveston.......Welcome neighbors!
I'm a leadfoot and zip around town better than most. I'm basically my own hotshot service for the jobsites I run. Nothing worse for my job budgets than the boys calling and telling me they are on break until something they need shows up.

There are about a dozen of very active SB members from our mud puddle and quite a few more that aren't constant regulars.

Don't forget that Kev is only about a hour or so east of us in the Piney Woods.

We have a sizeable influence on the forum. The SE Texas Auxiliary is a force on SB. :thumb:

Houston region is bound to go boom with regularity. Safety isn't the issue. It's the sheer number of places that have the potential that even statistically microscopic chances add up. We accept this risk to get all these well paying jobs and a strong local economy. We can't make safety any more stringent without chasing the business out of town. Houston is one of the biggest engines of the world.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,495 Posts
When the Phillips explosion happened in 1989, I was at a friend's house. They had just moved to a house one block off the intersection of Wallisville Rd. and 610. As far away as that plant was, when it went boom, we were outside looking at her flowerbeds. We heard the sound (not a boomy sound at all from our location, but more of a massive CLANK! sound, like when a large dump truck's swinging tailgate slams shut. About the time we looked at each other and said 'What just blew up?' we felt the gust of wind from the whatchacallit---where the explosive force goes outward. Anyway, it actually blew our hair and clothes somewhat. We ran inside and turned on channel 13 and sure enough, it was not even 10 minutes before the news came on, I think it was Melanie Lawson, reporting that a Phillips plant in Deer Park had blown up.

And you could smell it too, after a while. Scary it was so far away by road, but not so far as the crow flies.

·
Semper Fi
8,954 Posts
Kitty lives in the northeast, explosion was in the northwest.

For those not familiar to Houston scale, moving from one side to the other is like most of a hour going by a surface and freeway route if traffic isn't heavy. Going to diagonal opposite corners is an hour and a half. Add commute traffic and you can add 45 minutes to either total. All of that assuming you don't leave the city, which is only half the population in the Metro. Houston is pretty damn huge.

Where I live in the southwest of town, if I was in Rhode Island, then Kitty would be in another state.

My county is 1777 square miles and RI is only 1214.

Watson Grinding and Manufacturing is a machine part finishing company. Final grinding, polishing, and coatings on specialty metal parts. The tank that went up was likely part of their custom coatings business. Polypropylene is used as a base coat to allow harder outside coats have better adhesion.

http://www.watsongrinding.com/

Meh, it's just another factory explosion here. Happens all the time.

A couple widows are going to meet lawyers tomorrow who will offer them lotto money to just go away.
I guess things aren't always bigger in TX. Where I used to live, San Bernardino county in CA is 20,105 sqmi (largest county in US) and Apache county where I now live here in AZ is 11,218 sqmi (6th largest county).

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,690 Posts
I guess things aren't always bigger in TX. Where I used to live, San Bernardino county in CA is 20,105 sqmi (largest county in US) and Apache county where I now live here in AZ is 11,218 sqmi (6th largest county).
I never once stated that my county was the largest. My county doesn't even make the top 100 in square miles. Only one county in Texas even breaks into the top 50, and that one only because it is so desolate. All the big land counties are in the western states that were territories after the Civil War.

Do note though that my county should end up the second most populous within a couple of years.

I was responding to the implication that a localized disaster was a threat to any particular person in what is a very large amount of space.

The mention that any of the dozen or so very active SB members in Houston would be at any explosion risk is a little absurd in the volume of space we do have.

·
Semper Fi
8,954 Posts
I never once stated that my county was the largest. My county doesn't even make the top 100 in square miles. Only one county in Texas even breaks into the top 50, and that one only because it is so desolate. All the big land counties are in the western states that were territories after the Civil War.

Do note though that my county should end up the second most populous within a couple of years.

I was responding to the implication that a localized disaster was a threat to any particular person in what is a very large amount of space.

The mention that any of the dozen or so very active SB members in Houston would be at any explosion risk is a little absurd in the volume of space we do have.
I understood what you were getting at, just threw in a dig at TX for the fun of it.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,690 Posts
I understood what you were getting at, just threw in a dig at TX for the fun of it.
It's OK. It comes with the territory. Texans wouldn't know what to do if no one was taking the odd potshot at the them.

We are oddly masochistic that way. This dog gets bigger and meaner by beating it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts