Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have a filter installed in the entire house (water filter)?
If so, what is the approx. cost of doing this? Lets say for a small 1500
sq ft. home? That way when you take a bath you are not bathing in carcinogens :(

Is there a filter that can take out arsenic, flouride, radioactive residue &
other carcinogens?

Many thanks!:thumb:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Sawyer has a whole house filter that is around $800 if I remember right. I'm not sure whal all it removes. They have a new point 2 that removes more than point 1.

Thank you MEAT GUY!:D:
I will look into it!
And I think this is important, because if you happen to live in an area where
the water is polluted, or if total collapse happens, I am sure water will be contaminated more than it already is!:eek: So, it becomes a disaster!
Many thanks!:thumb:

If anyone else knows about this topic, please feel free to join in!Thanks! It helps us all!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If a "total collapse" happens, you will need a portable filter. It isn't likely you would have water pressure available to your home. Sawyer point one is around $60. Point two is about double that.
Store as much water at your home as possible.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Sounds like your looking for a point of distribution filter.

There is no need to filter water used for a toilet, and in a lot of cases no need to filter water used for cooking. If your going to be boiling the water to cook with it, your going to kill anything in the water.

I suggest you look at some filtered pitchers, of a filter that goes on the faucet.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
If you're doing it yourself it can be done fairly cheaply. It's best to go with a multi stage system. 2-4 different filters all in a row, from course to ultra fine, with a carbon filter in there towards the end. That way you're replacing the coarsest filters and carbon filters most frequently and the others less so.

I agree with Kev that and under the sink system is probably more what you're looking for, unless your source water is so bad that it's rotting out the pipes.

http://www.waterbenefitshealth.com/under-sink-water-filters.html
http://www.best-water-filter-guide.com/under-sink-water-filter.html
http://www.waterfiltercomparisons.com/water_filter_comparison.php?d=gp

Biggest think is cost per gallon of water. Counter top or those mounted to a facet or in a pitcher usually have the highest costs per gallon.

Something like these would give better results and cost far less per gallon;
Amazon.com: Whirlpool WHEMB40 Undersink Water Filtration System: Home Improvement

Not that I'm recommending these particular products, just giving you some ideas as to what's out there.

Reactions: Deo Gratias!

·
Registered
250 Posts
An under sink reverse osmosis system be had pretty cheap, but I would have pre-filters and a carbon filter of some sort as well. you could put another one under the bathroom sink to run to the shower as well.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you!

Thank you for the wonderful replies!:thumb:

Yes, I am looking for something that would filter the bath/shower water,
the sinks (brushing teeth,etc.) No need for the toilet.
And Kev, is right if I am going to boil the water for cooking, I do not need
it there, but I do need one for drinking/washing fruits & veggies, etc. in the kitchen. And its probably a waste to have one in the sink where you do the dishes.

Any other ideas, of how I can get rid of arsenic, lead, fluoride, nasties etc. ?
Many thanks!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Is there a filter that can take out arsenic, flouride, radioactive residue &
other carcinogens?
I don't think you need to be worried about bathing in carcinogens as much as drinking them. Your skin is fairly resistant to many things, so it's your mucous membranes that you have to protect.

My understanding is that a whole house filter is typically a basic cotton filter to remove sediment mostly. If you want to filter out "carcinogens" (e.g. volatile hydrocarbons), then you're going to need a carbon filter. A carbon filter isn't practical for your house for a couple of reasons. The flow rate is low, since you're pushing through a carbon block. Second, the amount of filtered water you'd use would wear out the carbon quickly and require frequent changes and thus be expensive.

As others have mentioned a point of use filter is what you'll probably want. They make filters for shower heads for example, so if you want to shower in filtered water, you screw the attachment onto your showerhead and then you're not filtering your toilet water or your garden hose.

·
Seeker of Wisdom
188 Posts
My understanding is that a whole house filter is typically a basic cotton filter to remove sediment mostly. If you want to filter out "carcinogens" (e.g. volatile hydrocarbons), then you're going to need a carbon filter.
We have a sediment filter in our system (water softener and two acid neutralizers required for the well water to be drinkable without bad taste). The filter is from "spun polypropylene" which looks like string wound into a filter cartridge.

The cartridge is 20 inches long, 4 or 5 inches diameter and we use a 50 micron filter. You can get the filters in finer and coarser sizes, but the acid neutralizers and softener take out a lot of the sediment before it reaches the filter. The finer the filter, the more pressure drop across it, however.

We replace the filter once a year, and I think a new filter runs around $ 40, but I don't write the checks out so I could well be wrong on pricing.

Before we installed the water treatment system and filter, fine sediment made its way through the water system and stained all the fixtures. In fact, over a few years there was about an inch of red clay mud built up in the bottom of the toilet tanks. After installing the neutralizers, softener and whole house sediment filters, the water is as clean as a typical city system.

I've contemplated a second filter with activated charcoal, but there's nothing in the well water here that requires further filtering according to the lab reports.

Our treatment system can be bypassed if necessary such as watering the lawn--there's a separate bypass valve on the filter as well. In fact, we don't use the bypass mode.

Jack

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I use a SCREEN first in line, I can rinse it and in a few minutes it is back working. One of those Y type screens used in agriculture. Behind that I have a whole house filter and use the cheap string filters in it. After the water goes through those it goes in my cistern and is bright and shiny clean. I use that water for everything except drinking/cooking. Right now, I haul water in gallon jugs from town for D/C.

I have some Sawyer filters stashed for use after SHTF. My water is pretty much straight off the mountains. If I was worried about manmade pollutants I would also filter D/C water through a carbon filter.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I went on amazon bought 2 4in x 20 housing off amazon for about $50 each and have you can put the correct size filters of your choose in. When you plumb them if they do not have pressure relief in them add a valve to bleed pressure off when you change them and valves before and after to shut off house water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts