Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's developing on Drudge

I'd say when there is a run on "potted meat food product" we're in trouble.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I read somewhere that they sell more SPAM in Hawaii than any other state. Makes sense since they invented SPAM to feed the soldiers in the Pacific during the second world war.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Spam was huge in Korea when I was there in the late 80's-early 90's. I don't remember the Japanese eating much of it but I didn't pay any attention either.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
I read somewhere that they sell more SPAM in Hawaii than any other state. Makes sense since they invented SPAM to feed the soldiers in the Pacific during the second world war.
Wrong, it was invented in 1937 as a means to use up pork shoulder that at the time went for a .01 a pound. Jay Hormel was very unhappy with the waste of this meat, so he hired a French chef to figure out what to do with it. The french man spiced it and figured out how to cook it in the can. Then Jay Hormel then held a contest at a dinner party to name the new product. A man named Ken came up with soft pork shoulder as ham. But he made the acyronm of SPAM.

As far as World War 2 is concerned it was perfect for the job as a ration for soliders, but also as humanitarian and lend lease act assistance food. Nikita Krushchev came about as close to a "Thank You" as one could get when he stated that he was thankful for the sending SPAM along with other food stuffs kept the Russian people from starving during there long cold winters at the worst time of the war for them.

The above courtesy of the History channel.

Rifleman 336

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wrong, it was invented in 1937 as a means to use up pork shoulder that at the time went for a .01 a pound. Rifleman 336
I've seen the same history channel special, it's very interesting what people will do when faced with a hard situation. What do you do when you have a warehouse full of dead picks with no way to sell them. Which on a side note is actually a reason to allow recessions to naturally occur. Sometimes we have to face the hard time to have a really good reason to succeed.

I'm glad that hogs aren't selling at .01 cents a pound anymore, but it's not much better once you throw in inflation. I do know of a pig that sold recently for 2 cents a pound. It was a old boar hog that weighted a lot more than 1,000 pounds. He tried to eat the auction workers when they were trying to move him from one pen to another. :D:The other white meat. :D: I don't know where he came from, but I bet they are glad that they don't have to pay his feed bill anymore. (Although probally sad when they go their check, I hope it paid the gas to and from the auction.)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
when I was in truk lagoon way the heck out in the pacific in the late 70s I could trade a can of spam for a bushel of lobsters and they thought I was a stupid idiot.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Spam was huge in Korea when I was there in the late 80's-early 90's.
Spam from what I was told by a friend who lived in Korea is something of a national icon.
Lots of people would have died during the Korean War had it not been for Spam rations.
He had a cook book in Korean devoted to it.
Fried me some for dinner last night.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
Hmm don't have any spam in my supplies,think I'll get some.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
it has absolutely nothing in common with potted meat except how its canned. Potted meat is a mix of a lot of different items, mainly low quality cuts of meat ground and packaged into something a tad more palatable. Spam is chopped and formed pork shoulder, spiced and cured. saved a lot of people's bacon (pardon the pun) over the years, including our military. I love the stuff personally. I like to slice it and serve on crackers toasted with melted cheese on top, or cubed and mixed with eggs or fried rice. or fried spam sammiches

·
Registered
20 Posts
wow, i had no idea that garlic spam existed, nor spam with cheese, or spam with bacon. the hot and spicy is good though; tastes exactly like regular spam with a bit of hot sauce. i think i'll have some with eggs tomorrow for breakfast hah.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I havnt had spam in forever, but I remember liking it when I had it. I think it was fried up last time I had it. We should get some recipes going in a post.

·
Informational sponge
108 Posts
Cheap? I don't know about that, yesterday it cost me 2 for $5.00. Also dried beef cost $2.99 for a small jar.

We (my Masonic Lodge) are honoring Veterans with a breakfast, and as part of it I'm cooking old military "chow", as well as traditional fare.
S.O.S, SPAM, fried bologna, grits will be on the menu.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
We (my Masonic Lodge) are honoring Veterans with a breakfast, and as part of it I'm cooking old military "chow", as well as traditional fare.
S.O.S, SPAM, fried bologna, grits will be on the menu.
I can see the conspiracy theory theads now

·
Registered
226 Posts
I haven't seen any decline in the amount of SPAM at the stores. We buy an extra case every two weeks. It's not just a emergency item, I love the stuff. I slice it into 1/4" pieces and then give it an egg wash followed by seasoned bread crumbs. Then deep fry it. I serve it with white rice and black beans. Good stuff!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts