Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
pretty good idea on Putin's part- they get food, he gets a favor from a UN country with high strategic importance

Reactions: Thedragon

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ok, but the IMF provides loans with interest. If the banking system that created the boom in Iceland is no longer 'vibrante'... what goods and services will Iceland provide to the world (to creates a positive GDP) that will allow Iceland to repay the IMF debt? In other words if banking is no longer the leading revenue source then what can Iceland do to service a $6 billion IMF debt as well as the losses on the toxic debt from the newly nationalized banks? Iceland has around 300,000 citizens.... the debt service per capita is staggering. This is not a good development... rather this is a guarantee that the debt will largely be repaid through the exploitation of Iceland's resources and people.

The IMF has also recently bailed Hungry and Ukraine in the same way. The IMF has capital limits too and they can not save everyone from the abyss. Latvia, Lithuania, Switzerland, Belgium and Ireland are lining-up outside the IMF door.

We are witnessing the greatest geopolitical shifts since WWII. Unfortunately this is taking place with financial weaponry that few people understand. In a few months/years we will ask ourselves how did we let the world change so drastically with little resistance from the future victims.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Ok, but the IMF provides loans with interest. If the banking system that created the boom in Iceland is no longer 'vibrante'... what goods and services will Iceland provide to the world (to creates a positive GDP) that will allow Iceland to repay the IMF debt? In other words if banking is no longer the leading revenue source then what can Iceland do to service a $6 billion IMF debt as well as the losses on the toxic debt from the newly nationalized banks? Iceland has around 300,000 citizens.... the debt service per capita is staggering. This is not a good development... rather this is a guarantee that the debt will largely be repaid through the exploitation of Iceland's resources and people.

The IMF has also recently bailed Hungry and Ukraine in the same way. The IMF has capital limits too and they can not save everyone from the abyss. Latvia, Lithuania, Switzerland, Belgium and Ireland are lining-up outside the IMF door.

We are witnessing the greatest geopolitical shifts since WWII. Unfortunately this is taking place with financial weaponry that few people understand. In a few months/years we will ask ourselves how did we let the world change so drastically with little resistance from the future victims.
Similar scenario to Cambocia twenty years ago, and the australian government if still recieving rice payments evry year even though Cambodia cant feed their own

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Britain used anti-terror legislation to freeze the assets of this nation and its ability to make international transactions alone, during the recent crisis. Now they are being good boys, they can get a big IMF loan, join the EU and maybe even go to Mars. Yay!

·
Libertarian
397 Posts
Britain used anti-terror legislation to freeze the assets of this nation and its ability to make international transactions alone, during the recent crisis. Now they are being good boys, they can get a big IMF loan, join the EU and maybe even go to Mars. Yay!
We did this for a reason. A lot of our money was tied up in dodgy Icelandic banks so we just kept what they had here to repay what they owed.
Common sense.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
We did this for a reason. A lot of our money was tied up in dodgy Icelandic banks so we just kept what they had here to repay what they owed.
Common sense.
A nation with a private banking system does not "owe" foreigners anything, in such a collapse. True, it's happened in the US and the UK, but with much anti fanfare if you have noticed it (bailing out the rich). What was "dodgy" about these banks were the British and other clients who held money there for its low tax status. Can't blame a tundra nation for not needing a lot of infrastructure and thus not high taxes. Anti-terror legislation was used when they wouldn't back the crisis with taxpayer's money and as they then reached to Russia for help. Just like it's used on common folk for little things. Another example of what those new powers are really for. Reverse things perhaps; would Britain appreciate the terrorist label for not backing Icelandic offshored money? Common sense, yes. Another revelation of what these laws are about, yes.

·
Libertarian
397 Posts
Arrexian
Whilst I have no sympathy for someone who invests offshore for financial gain and then loses everything (what happened to capitalism). I understand the political motivation to use whatever tool is at the governments disposal to maintain power.
This is what our government did and in my opinion if all you are interested in is keeping power, then it was a common sense move.
The problem with the economic situation at the moment is it is spreading to the political arena. It is almost become a non-combatant war. Iceland being one of the first countries to fall. This is only a taste of things to come as countries look to their own self interest at the expense of everyone else.
Enjoy the ride, it will be a bumpy one.

·
Libertarian
397 Posts
Arrexian
Was there ever any doubt what these laws were about?
Anyone with a brain can see the writing on the wall. As I have said on these boards in the past, we are sleepwalking away from freedom and into the arms of tyranny. The scary thing is, it is happening much quicker than I anticipated.
Moving my bug-out plans as far forward as I can.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Fair perspective jay!

Was there ever any doubt what these laws were about?
From the presentations of main and fringe political parties they were laws designed to protect us from bearded 'moslom' attacks upon our way of life. They would be used on non-State extremists, not on the State of Iceland ffs or on John Johnson to check if he is paying the right taxes.

Sure these laws will make it easier for the State to deal with the crisis and sure it's each for their own State wise. I wouldn't have a problem with the legislation for this were it called "Increased Authoritarianism Legislation" or whatever. But of course it has to be wrapped up in a shiny wrapper of BS.

·
I travel light
2,026 Posts
Just for the records..

pretty good idea on Putin's part- they get food, he gets a favor from a UN country with high strategic importance
USA has been doing that for years in Central America and South America. What´s the difference?. They´re whities and South Americans are not?...

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Maybe Russia cand send them some Vodka, Cabbage and Borst. That can possibly cut down on their oil consuption by substituting with natural gas. :)

-Cade

1 - 16 of 16 Posts