Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Genesis 1:29
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just purchased a Honda CT90 for $350AU.

I will receive it in about 2 weeks, it should only need some general maintenance and it will be up and running, here's some pics, I'll post more when I get it along with what maintenance it needs!

The guy selling it said he had a custom rifle protector made up for it, I believe you can see it in the third picture as the bar that hangs down from the rack.

Does anyone know which model this is? It looks like a K7 to me.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
No year?

The good thing is that it has the telescoping forks instead of linked forks. There are probably a number of other upgrades you can add if you wish.

The headlight does not look stock at all - it may be a nice headlight depending on what the PO used.

The frame is mostly stamped sheet metal so it is not particularly strong compared to a modern framed dirt bike. Therefore I would be careful about overloading it or trying to ride it like a modern dirt bike.

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The headlight does not look stock at all - it may be a nice headlight depending on what the PO used.
Aye, the owner said the lights have gone on it, and not being a mechanic he didn't want to try and fix it, I don't think it'll be a huge issue, but he also said the light mounted on the front is new, so if it's adequate I'll probably put off fixing the lights.

The frame is mostly stamped sheet metal so it is not particularly strong compared to a modern framed dirt bike. Therefore I would be careful about overloading it or trying to ride it like a modern dirt bike.
I mostly wanted it for something to toy around with and dink around the farm on, I wont be doing any stunts :thumb:

·
What would Mal do
4,653 Posts
wow.. a real postie....from OZ...very cool to see...hard to tell the year from the pics...if it were a USA model I'd be guessing late 70s.

I have a 79 and love it.... I don't try to ride it like a current dirt bike...I don't beat it up..but for nice trail fun it really does everything I ask of it.

enjoy!

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I ended up getting it a week later than I wanted to, but it's here now, and it's running fine.

All it needed was some oil and it was set to go, takes a few kicks to get it going and the oil could be a bit heavier, but it'll do for now!

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to pull the carburetor apart yesterday because the air filter was literally falling apart and filtering into the carburetor, at least now it's starting first jump.

Runs a little noisy without an air filter. :rolleyes:

·
What would Mal do
4,653 Posts
Congrats mate !

it's been a tad cold for riding here lately..so mine is in the garage for now and I miss my little jaunts in the woods..likely have to bundle up and go out soon anyway...

personal experience on mpg.. I'm a bit older and tend to treat mine easy..but on the road at 35-40mph.. I'm easily getting close to 100mpg...in the woods..trails are mostly flat and I'm going easy..so hard to say..but I can ride as much as my butt can stand and not make a dent in the gas tank.

If I were buying a bugout rig.. I'd prefer about a 250cc dual purpose..road legal, but capable offroad..however, the wife is terrified of bikes..worked hospital ER when she was younger and had some really bad wrecks come across her table..including one that died on her..so she has always been against me having a "real motorcycle"..but she's cool with the CT90..so I haul it with me on all our camping trips and day outings..and get to enjoy trails and some nice country lanes..wish I had a few more horses, but all in all...a really fun ride and agreat utility bike.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
I had to pull the carburetor apart yesterday because the air filter was literally falling apart and filtering into the carburetor, at least now it's starting first jump.

Runs a little noisy without an air filter. :rolleyes:
Good, but get a filter on it ASAP

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had a trail 90 since 1972. Great bikes & easy to work on. Complete parts breakdown & parts pricing on www.mrcycles.com. Google has a ct90 group with lots of valuable info. Everyone that has one loves them. Cheap to run & fun too. Thanks / Buck

·
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats mate !

it's been a tad cold for riding here lately..so mine is in the garage for now and I miss my little jaunts in the woods..likely have to bundle up and go out soon anyway...

personal experience on mpg.. I'm a bit older and tend to treat mine easy..but on the road at 35-40mph.. I'm easily getting close to 100mpg...in the woods..trails are mostly flat and I'm going easy..so hard to say..but I can ride as much as my butt can stand and not make a dent in the gas tank.

If I were buying a bugout rig.. I'd prefer about a 250cc dual purpose..road legal, but capable offroad..however, the wife is terrified of bikes..worked hospital ER when she was younger and had some really bad wrecks come across her table..including one that died on her..so she has always been against me having a "real motorcycle"..but she's cool with the CT90..so I haul it with me on all our camping trips and day outings..and get to enjoy trails and some nice country lanes..wish I had a few more horses, but all in all...a really fun ride and agreat utility bike.

Nice stuff.

My family is almost the opposite, my dad has been riding since he was 14, and even my mother used to ride while she was pregnant with me (though only with my dad, she doesn't enjoy it that much), now that I'm old enough to legally ride my dad is interested in riding with me, so I'm thinking I'll probably get a 250 or 650 LAMS dual sport with hybrid tires on it.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
Nice stuff.

My family is almost the opposite, my dad has been riding since he was 14, and even my mother used to ride while she was pregnant with me (though only with my dad, she doesn't enjoy it that much), now that I'm old enough to legally ride my dad is interested in riding with me, so I'm thinking I'll probably get a 250 or 650 LAMS dual sport with hybrid tires on it.
I have a 'trials' tire on my Husaberg and it works as well or better than a knobby in most situations. This is the new hot setup for many off-road riders as it does well over slippery roots and rocks and fallen trees where a knobby just spins. The big plus: if you get the right one (Pirelli MT43) the tire works better than a knobby on pavement and lasts longer too - don't get one of the off-road only trials tires as they wear out too fast on pavement (50 to 100 miles) as they are so soft (if you absolutely only ride off-road then they are better, but they fall apart on pavement).

·
Prepper for life.
720 Posts
I have two ct 90s that both have 140cc lifan motors and beat the stuff out of both i use one to pull my snowmobiles in the summer and the other one i use to ride to work

·
Registered
32 Posts
Can't say the year, but I had one back in 1980. Mine was about a 1970 model. The man I got it from, had a honda 90 3 wheeler also. He said they had the same motor. It had the hi/lo 4 speed and plenty of power for a 90cc. Wife and I would go everywhere on it. It used so much oil, actually slung it everywhere, got on our clothes, she mad me get rid of it. Wish I had it back.

·
What would Mal do
4,653 Posts
today was the first day in a good while that I've had a couple hours to call my own, the sun was out, the air was warm...fresh spark plug in the honda and off I went...made more than a couple laps on my set of trails in my woods, enjoyed the property.. I know I shoulda been huffin it on my pedal bike, but that feeling of raw power from those 90 cc's :rolleyes:

anyway...flipped the tranny lever to high, and jumped on the 2 lane for a bit too...even with the rush of 40mph February air in my face..well it just felt good to be out cruisin for a bit.

The honda is a great part of my shtf inventory...but if the end never comes... I'm sure enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sweet Bike. Honda's run forever. Wicked end of the world bike. They carry a ton of weight too if you don't need to go too fast.

·
What would Mal do
4,653 Posts
ya know...I had all but forgotten about the bikes for 30 some years...when I came back around to looking at them and checked the specs I was surprised to see that they had a recommended weight limit of 200lbs...my mind immediately went to images of 2 person riders and other pile-ons that I've seen in 3rd world countries during my years of global travels.

I asked the former owner if he thought my 220lbs might put a strain on the bike..he just smiled...

the dual transmission really makes these machines more useful than many other bikes out there...the low range offering up 4 speeds of crawlin...it's lightweight allows me to wrestle it out of trouble if I get into a tight spot, and yet when it's time to run from the campground down to the local store for goodies...it's a great ride on the 2lane.
yeah.. I'm in love.

·
Banned
843 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts