Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To view part one of my thread it is here and covers 2015-6.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=396987

Onward to 2017!!

The Adventure Continues! :)

Winter arrived with a vengeance:

DSC00268 by White Baron, on Flickr

DSC00270 by White Baron, on Flickr

The kitchen area was completed just in the nick of time too.

DSC00274 by White Baron, on Flickr

The Setup so far:

We basically had a foot of snow in the space of about 8 hours, some were saying it was the worse winter snowblast since 1985!

All I can tell you is the temperature got down to -30 degrees celcius!! We are talking Siberian / Alaskan blasts of ice wind...
It's getting quite cosy in here.

DSC00276 by White Baron

·
Homesteader
4,126 Posts
Well, welcome home brother. Try to stay on for a little while longer this time. Cabin looks good especially with that storm. I'd hate to be in a tent without that wood stove. :)

Are you planning to spend much of the winter at the homestead?

Uhh, try to keep on the good side. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Having a propane tank that close to a heat source is not a very bright idea. These tanks have an emergency release valve to vent gas when they overheat. I've had gas vent just leaving newly filled full tanks sitting out in the sun.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Chains Saga

DSC00768 by White Baron, on Flickr

As far as getting around here it's tough with a two wheel drive vehicle, but by fitting cable chains I was able to get around, MOST of the time.

The only two times I was in trouble and for one of the was when I went off the road into a snow drift!

I didn't have chains on that time, I fit them up and self-rescued. :)

The second time came after I'd just helped a neighbor get to town (he'd been stuck the previous night with a busted drive-line).

Anyways, once again I was chancing it without chains (having put off fitting them until the 'big hill'.

Before the big hill I came to the farming-turn area. Well I was talking with my neighbor (in the passenger seat) and took the corner too fast. Off we drifted into a DEEP snow bank!

Even with chains fitted (one of which wrapped itself around the axle!) I couldn't reverse out!
Luckily for me my neighbor was not far from his place, so off he went to get his heavy-mover machine to drag my wolf out of the snow! LOL

Nevertheless the damage was done to the cablechains. The strain on them had parted several strands of the cable-wire. I should also mention that they were not the best of fits either. I got them given to me so I shouldn't complain though. A good set of chains can cost from $60 to $200!!!

Weeks past and one of the cable-chain sets snapped on me! Luckily I was at a Mountain Man Retreat area and he came out and helped, giving me a set of proper snow chains that fit like glove! :) Thanks for that MM Jim!

In the meantime here's a snapshot of his cabin he let me photograph!

DSC00307 by White Baron, on Flickr

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Having a propane tank that close to a heat source is not a very bright idea. These tanks have an emergency release valve to vent gas when they overheat. I've had gas vent just leaving newly filled full tanks sitting out in the sun.
Thanks for your concern, they do not overheat as there's a piece of metal acting as a shield too. :)

The are temperature controlled so not to vent off and I've moved the battery bank to have to tucked further out of the way too. :)

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, it's time for another few updates folks.

The temperature got so cold the cat was cowering under the covers, until I got the woodstove fired up that was!!!

The water tank was next on the winter upgrade saga! It was a nightmare in parts, but once the pump was energized, moved, re-energized and the tank done it *mostly* went according to plan.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is Mountain Man Jim! He is kinda like MM Mike but more gravely voiced and aged!
He has led quite a colorful life and contributed richly to the surrounding area of the Green Havens!

I'll let the saga begin:

·
Homesteader
4,126 Posts
The Chains Saga

DSC00768 by White Baron, on Flickr

As far as getting around here it's tough with a two wheel drive vehicle, but by fitting cable chains I was able to get around, MOST of the time.

The only two times I was in trouble and for one of the was when I went off the road into a snow drift!

I didn't have chains on that time, I fit them up and self-rescued. :)

The second time came after I'd just helped a neighbor get to town (he'd been stuck the previous night with a busted drive-line).

Anyways, once again I was chancing it without chains (having put off fitting them until the 'big hill'.

Before the big hill I came to the farming-turn area. Well I was talking with my neighbor (in the passenger seat) and took the corner too fast. Off we drifted into a DEEP snow bank!

Even with chains fitted (one of which wrapped itself around the axle!) I couldn't reverse out!
Luckily for me my neighbor was not far from his place, so off he went to get his heavy-mover machine to drag my wolf out of the snow! LOL

Nevertheless the damage was done to the cablechains. The strain on them had parted several strands of the cable-wire. I should also mention that they were not the best of fits either. I got them given to me so I shouldn't complain though. A good set of chains can cost from $60 to $200!!!

Weeks past and one of the cable-chain sets snapped on me! Luckily I was at a Mountain Man Retreat area and he came out and helped, giving me a set of proper snow chains that fit like glove! :) Thanks for that MM Jim!

In the meantime here's a snapshot of his cabin he let me photograph!

DSC00307 by White Baron, on Flickr

That's a nice griz he has there.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These old timers like MMJ and MMM are the real survivalists. :)
Thanks MAK, someone has to keep the old-school vibe going amid the prepper-boards noises rampant elsewhere. :)

In other news, just had four inches of snow, hopefully the front-loader won't need to be deployed as it's having engine issues right now.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well I have an old-school prospector friend in the nearby settlement, a most interesting guy. He told me this story, and I now share it with you. :)

It's getting cold again now! Yet warming up this weekend at least...

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The White Wolf got stuck again, even with chains on! Yet the temperature has been rising to above freezing, causing it to mush-up. So I self-rescued but had to leave the WW not too far from the cabin. When conditions improve it'll be back in the cabin area. :)

Another neighbor had his big bulldozer wagon blasting around. It's quite a cool machine with tracks that function well, however the operator messes up the berms and pushes the snow in a haphazard fashion. Still he puts the effort in, puffing on his roll-up ciggy as he grumbled along.

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, Lady Ulyssia was feeling left out so I thought I'd introduce the former palace cat to this crazy place!

She has caught a mouse, a bird and a chipmunk that I have seen so far too!

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well here's an interesting Off-The-Grid system that my neighbors use.

It's pretty hardcore and gets the job done. However they are reliant on propane for powering their generator. During winter the generator pulls in the duty, but in summer it is pretty uber...

·
Ryding Free...
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Part 1 of the cabin build summary in video:

Part 2 of the cabin build summary in video.

These cover the construction up to the point when the kitchen is worked on. I split the videos up a bit so they aren't too long. There will be one more part after this one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts