Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure alot of you probably know how to do this but in case some dont this is an easy way to make waterproof matches without buying them.

Things You’ll Need:
Kitchen matches
Wax candle
A plate
Step 1:
Burn the wax candle, and allow wax to pool around the flame.

Step 2:
Take kitchen matches, one by one, and dip the sulphur dipped end, in the pool of melted wax.

Step 3:
Set each wax-dipped match aside on a plate to allow the wax to set hard.

Step 4:
When the wax has set hard, store your waterproof matches in a plastic zipper bag or used plastic pill container in a cool, dry place ready for use in any emergency. Strike as you would, a normal match.

Cheap and easy thats how i like it!

·
279 Posts
Im sure alot of you probably know how to do this but in case some dont this is an easy way to make waterproof matches without buying them.

Things You’ll Need:
Kitchen matches
Wax candle
A plate
Step 1:
Burn the wax candle, and allow wax to pool around the flame.

Step 2:
Take kitchen matches, one by one, and dip the sulphur dipped end, in the pool of melted wax.

Step 3:
Set each wax-dipped match aside on a plate to allow the wax to set hard.

Step 4:
When the wax has set hard, store your waterproof matches in a plastic zipper bag or used plastic pill container in a cool, dry place ready for use in any emergency. Strike as you would, a normal match.

Cheap and easy thats how i like it!
Empty 35mm film canisters make excellent, waterproof storage containers for those matches. You can pick up empty film canisters at your local photo developing store for free. Just ask for them!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have never tried that yet, but I have bought a Coghlan's survival kit in a can which contained water proof matches but nothing to strike them on. Regular strike on box matches can be struck on the same thing you strike book matches on. The kit did contain book matches but i could not get the water proof matches to strike. Any of you ever had that problem or have any suggestions?

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
A chunk of packing styrofoam is great to hold the matches upright while the wax dries.

+1 to the film containers. I have some with matches and others stuffed with vaseline dipped cottonballs.

Reactions: VW.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have tried the nail polish route and im definately not impressed by it. I put together a small PSK that i carried for a while that had the matches dipped in nail polish.
But when i decided to upgrade my psk I needed to take apart the small one to salvage some of the items. I decided to test the matches and it was terrible. The matches had been touching each other in the psk and was glued together now. so i had to break them apart meaning that some matches just broke off and clung to others.
The regular matches only suceeded in gumming up my striker pad and did not light because the who red part fell off. The stormproof matches that i were also water proofed suceeded in lighting after about the 20th strike but it burned a lot less agressively compared to the non water proofed ones
Personally I would stick to the wax.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did the wax match thing a few times and learned ... to cut the matchsticks half off so more would fit, and ... to use strike anywhere matches as the wax will gunk up a striker paper strip. BUT... I later decided to just go with mini-BIC lighters as 3 of them will fit perfectly inside a 1.25" diameter x 2.75" Rx bottle. It's almost like it's made for them! That bottle which "might" hold 50-100 matches if you're Houdini will supply ? 1000's ? of lights from the 3 lighters. They don't rattle around at all either. If all you have is a bigger Rx bottle stuff the gaps with dryer lint for tinder and padding. I have stuffed a gob of dryer lint the size of a grapefruit into a film container. I keep a plastic grocery bag hanging right beside the dryer and subsequently have LOTS of lint as I clean it out every load, which makes dryer work WAY more efficiently and safely. REMEMBER ... whether using matches or a lighter always use the first flame to light a candle!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts