Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of making a homemade Smoker/Firepit hybrid on my back patio. I think this is a great way of prepping while also enjoying life. Only problem is, I have no smoker experience. My Father-in-law got me hooked on smoking meats and now I want to build my own.

Any ideas on materials?? Cinderblocks? Paver stones? River rocks?
Any ideas on design?? I have a rectangular patio that backs up to the house on the long side.
Any ideas on how to keep the wife involved:thumb:??

I want something similar to what is pictured below, but would like it to be unique. If I am able to come up with a working design, I will be posting many pictures as I build it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Find a cheap Brinkmann Smoker, they are often shoved in the corner and on sale this time of year. I've been smoking stuff for 20 years. They do great. I'll tell you how to make it work. They win contests all the time against elaborate set ups.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have 3 smokers, an electric, a propane, and a charcoal. I use the brinkman charcoal smoker for grilling as well s smoking, and only use the electric for something that's going to smoke for 6+ hours or if I cant monitor it as much. I also have a fire pit like the one pictured, minus the smoker. IMO, although I think that firepit/smoker looks really cool, I think it is much more practical to use a simple brinkman smoker set-up where I can easily adjust the height of the coal bowl, water bowl, racking, etc.

I now much prefer charcoal smoked where I may add some wood chips to enhance the flavor. I get the coals started in a charcoal chimney with one of those electric heat probes which gets them nice and hot without using starting fluid, and then I toss in fresh coals on top when needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Find a cheap Brinkmann Smoker, they are often shoved in the corner and on sale this time of year. I've been smoking stuff for 20 years. They do great. I'll tell you how to make it work. They win contests all the time against elaborate set ups.
How big is your smoker - been thinking about building one.
I've seen some nice ones for 200bucks 30inch. I'm sure I can find them on sale even. Is that a decent size?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts