Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking for a good recipe for nutrition bars that could be made either off grid, or can easily be preserved. What I want to get is something with lots of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and moderate fat. Just something that can keep ya going when you don't have a supermarket anymore. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I regularly make my own energy bar but I don't think it can store for very long. It's lasted me about 3weeks in a fridge but I have not tried keeping it for longer and without refridgeration.

Basically it's made out of rolled oats, honey walnuts, sunflower seeds, chai seeds, raisins, peanuts (And whatever else I might have on sale..cranberries, blueberries etc.) The whole mix is held together by a few tablespoonfuls of peanut butter and maple syrup, and I use a rolling pin to compact it onto a small rectangular baking tray, toast it in the toaster oven for 5-10mins. Frankly the toasting isn't required, but I like the toasted flavour.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks

I regularly make my own energy bar but I don't think it can store for very long. It's lasted me about 3weeks in a fridge but I have not tried keeping it for longer and without refridgeration.

Basically it's made out of rolled oats, honey walnuts, sunflower seeds, chai seeds, raisins, peanuts (And whatever else I might have on sale..cranberries, blueberries etc.) The whole mix is held together by a few tablespoonfuls of peanut butter and maple syrup, and I use a rolling pin to compact it onto a small rectangular baking tray, toast it in the toaster oven for 5-10mins. Frankly the toasting isn't required, but I like the toasted flavour.
Thanks for sharing :thumb: :D:

·
Registered
403 Posts
will need an oven to prepare, but if you look up Jamie Eason Protein Bar receipe.

Bastically pumpkin, protein powder, and a few other easy ingredients. Bake and they taste awesome!

·
Master Mason
2,908 Posts
will need an oven to prepare, but if you look up Jamie Eason Protein Bar receipe.

Bastically pumpkin, protein powder, and a few other easy ingredients. Bake and they taste awesome!
Yep. She posts a lot of different recipes on www.bodybuilding.com

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Not *that* long if not packed with O2 absorbers and good barrier packaging....alot of fat in there. The sugar will attract moisture.

Gold standard for long term storage is hardtack. You can round out the protein with protein isolates and vitamins with crushed vitamin pills. You will lose some vitamins by baking the hardtack but it will be better than nothing. Added protein will make the baked tack harder though, I'd cut down on the thickness if you do that.

Stuff like BP5 and NRG 5 is just baked wheat flour, soy protein and soy oil + vitamins/minerals + some specific amino acids. You can guestimate the amounts of added protein if you take the protein content of flour and look @ the given protein content of the BP5 stuff.

·
civilizationsend.com
1,504 Posts
How well do thet keep? Which one is the best in your opinion?
the oats ones keep best -- they also taste the worst ...
they are all very high in sugar ...
but they oats ones are lower in GI and have almost no fat .. so they store well ... Ive had some for up to 4 years at a time .. and they have been OK ... the others i made and they tasted pretty good so they didn't last

1 - 10 of 10 Posts