Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this out of some 1/4" Plate steel. Its hefty but it chops better than some machetes i have owned. Tried tempering it but i really don't have much equipment for that sort of thing, but did the best I could. I drilled a hole at the end, then cord wrapped the handle and hand filed the edge and then "fine" honed it with a whet stone. Its the first knife i made so its not the best. Any pointers?

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
if it does what you wanted to do then its about right! the handle may be less comfy after a bit of prolonged work,and blisters get infected in the dirt. a simple wooden handle would help no end and is easy to do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks nice, in a survival situation you can unwrap the cord from the handle and use it to latch the knife to stick to make a spear. I hope the plate steel holds an edge, I usually use tool steel (old files) because it holds a nice edge after tempering. :)

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Hefty enough.
Looks fine though. You could get hold of a blow torch, one that plumbers use and some used motor oil to dunk it in once you have got it cherry red, that should harden the blade enough so it does not dull to quickly.

·
V
21,713 Posts
That looks like a real beast, as said try a different handle, if your not sure take this baby out and put her through her paces it'll soon show any weak spots in design, especially the handle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hefty enough.
Looks fine though. You could get hold of a blow torch, one that plumbers use and some used motor oil to dunk it in once you have got it cherry red, that should harden the blade enough so it does not dull to quickly.
I stoked it in coals until it was red hot then put it in oil. Haha oil caught fire not sure if i did it right or not. I have split alot of small 1/4 logs with this so it remains fairly sharp but i have to constantly watch the blade as it is prone to rusting.

·
Student/Teacher
164 Posts
Nice work!
Would probably be more useful with the front rounded up to the point but that's just my preference. When I work up the ambition I have a set of broken leaf springs I want to try making a knife or machete out of. I've reworked a couple of old broken knives but have not made any from scratch yet.

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
Its a shark knife,there is even a sharks eye.:D:

I think you did a good job for your first blade,keep up the good work.:thumb:

If TSHTF folks will use what ever steel they can get there hands on to make blades,id say for your next blade use an old file or leaf spring.:thumb:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definantly gonna try a leaf spring. I have a Nepalese Kukri made from a leaf spring and that works awesome. A buddy of mine got 3 kuks for like $25 we reworked them a little. Loosely following some directions found on a guys website. Thanks for all your guy's input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like it - looks like it's good for beating on things, and I enjoy smashing things.
Exactly, I was going for a chopper something along the lines of a machete and a hatchet hybrid. And if it wont keep an edge ill just bludgeon things with it. :)

·
Banned
3 Posts
haha i might have to make something out of my old samurai leafs, they arent that big and would be a good width but still strong.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just tell me you kept the Samurai I love those things they are great I saw one hold its own vs jeeps and hummers, It also finished the course with the second fastest times! Makes a great BOV. I was thinking about getting a Samurai.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts