Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
thank you vets
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In this post I will show step by step how to build an induction generator.This type generator will run anything designed for mains power with one exception. ( any other induction motor.) That being said it can and will come in handy During power outages.Tvs, radios,computers, small box fans, and battery chargers do very well with this generator, not to mention lights.
WHATS NEEDED TO BUILD
1. gas powered engine or similar way to turn the generator. I chose 12 hp. lawnmower engine.
2. Induction motor: I used a washing machine motor for this generator. It's capable of 1,000 watts 110 volts 60 htz power.
3. Run capacitors: capacitors that are of the run type. You will need aprox. 200 to 250 [email protected] 370 to 480 volts ac.
3.a. Do not use start caps as they will explode after a few seconds use. Use only run caps.
4. Wire of correct size for amperage produced.
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
First mount the gas engine and induction motor so there is no obstruction while it is turning.Now to connect the caps. place 200 to 250 uf. @ 370 to 480 volts ac in parallel. To figure uf. ratings simply add the individual uf. rating together ex.if you have 3 caps rated @ 25 [email protected] volts ac your total will be 75 [email protected] 440 volts ac. So you will need enough caps to equal 200 to 250 uf. The best place I have found to get them is at an air conditioner repair shop. They will usually sell them used for about 2.oo each. You may need as many as 6 or 8 to achieve the desired uf. rating.
Now build a small box to house the caps and the outlet plug. This is to keep them from weather and probing fingers.Remember caps hold a lethal charge so be very careful and don't touch the terminals while generating or after stopping the unit.
After mounting the generator and building the box put the caps in the box: mount the outlet plug and run two wires from one end of the cap bundle to the lead wires of the generator motor.Run two wires from the other end of the cap bundle to the outlet plug. The generator is now ready to start.
Look at the rating plate of the generator and find the rpm markings. The generator needs to be turned aprox. 5% faster than the plate rating. Start the motor and obtain enough rpm to start the generator: ( note if it does not generate place 12 volts dc across 2 terminals of the cap bundle for about 2 seconds and it should start generating.)Turn the generator the same way it ran as a motor.
Now to time the generator: Use a small electric clock that plugs into mains power.Connect the clock to the generator outlet, watch it for a few minutes if it runs slow increase rpm, if it runs fast decrease rpm, when it keeps perfect time you have 60 htz.
Do not use more than 250 uf. of capacitance because you run the risk of flash over in the generator. This will destroy the generator.
The best thing about this generator is that it can't be over loaded. If you put to much demand on it the generator will simply stop generating. To restart it remove the load and it should start again. If not use the 12 volt dc procedure discussed before.
As far as which motor to use as a generator the more hp. your motor has the more it will put out as a generator.The generator will usually put out as many amps as a generator as it consumes as a motor. ex.9 amp motor = 9 amp generator. If your motor has a start cap. attached to it , cut the wires and connect them together.
I have used this type generator for many years and have gotten great results from it. Please remember this unit produces lethal voltage at all terminals. Use proper caution at all times. Better safe that sorry
GOOD LUCK
ACT Automotive wheel system Wheel Rust Auto part Metal
5"pully and belt for generator

Wood Shed Plant House
cap box

Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply
caps in parallel

Metal
wiring for caps 1 wire

Cylinder Metal
difference between run cap on left, start on right

Font
gas engine

Ceiling Beam Wood Room Roof
power generated

Wall socket Power plugs and sockets Electrical supply Technology Electronic device
outlet plug

Wire Technology Electronic device Electronics accessory
rating plate on generator

Art Still life Fictional character
both wires on paralleled caps

Beam Electrical wiring
power leads from generator

Tree Plant Architecture House Branch
start cap removed and wires connected together

Text Font
cap rating

Automotive wheel system Wheel
turning the generator

Art
start cap ( bad)

Electronics Technology Metal
run cap with marked terminals

Auto part Metal
two pole cap

View attachment untitled.bmp parallel circuit

Electrical wiring Metal
washing machine motor as generator

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You

In this post I will show step by step how to build an induction generator.This type generator will run anything designed for mains power with one exception. ( any other induction motor.) That being said it can and will come in handy During power outages.Tvs, radios,computers, small box fans, and battery chargers do very well with this generator, not to mention lights.
WHATS NEEDED TO BUILD
1. gas powered engine or similar way to turn the generator. I chose 12 hp. lawnmower engine.
2. Induction motor: I used a washing machine motor for this generator. It's capable of 1,000 watts 110 volts 60 htz power.
3. Run capacitors: capacitors that are of the run type. You will need aprox. 200 to 250 [email protected] 370 to 480 volts ac.
3.a. Do not use start caps as they will explode after a few seconds use. Use only run caps.
4. Wire of correct size for amperage produced.
PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
First mount the gas engine and induction motor so there is no obstruction while it is turning.Now to connect the caps. place 200 to 250 uf. @ 370 to 480 volts ac in parallel. To figure uf. ratings simply add the individual uf. rating together ex.if you have 3 caps rated @ 25 [email protected] volts ac your total will be 75 [email protected] 440 volts ac. So you will need enough caps to equal 200 to 250 uf. The best place I have found to get them is at an air conditioner repair shop. They will usually sell them used for about 2.oo each. You may need as many as 6 or 8 to achieve the desired uf. rating.
Now build a small box to house the caps and the outlet plug. This is to keep them from weather and probing fingers.Remember caps hold a lethal charge so be very careful and don't touch the terminals while generating or after stopping the unit.
After mounting the generator and building the box put the caps in the box: mount the outlet plug and run two wires from one end of the cap bundle to the lead wires of the generator motor.Run two wires from the other end of the cap bundle to the outlet plug. The generator is now ready to start.
Look at the rating plate of the generator and find the rpm markings. The generator needs to be turned aprox. 5% faster than the plate rating. Start the motor and obtain enough rpm to start the generator: ( note if it does not generate place 12 volts dc across 2 terminals of the cap bundle for about 2 seconds and it should start generating.)Turn the generator the same way it ran as a motor.
Now to time the generator: Use a small electric clock that plugs into mains power.Connect the clock to the generator outlet, watch it for a few minutes if it runs slow increase rpm, if it runs fast decrease rpm, when it keeps perfect time you have 60 htz.
Do not use more than 250 uf. of capacitance because you run the risk of flash over in the generator. This will destroy the generator.
The best thing about this generator is that it can't be over loaded. If you put to much demand on it the generator will simply stop generating. To restart it remove the load and it should start again. If not use the 12 volt dc procedure discussed before.
As far as which motor to use as a generator the more hp. your motor has the more it will put out as a generator.The generator will usually put out as many amps as a generator as it consumes as a motor. ex.9 amp motor = 9 amp generator. If your motor has a start cap. attached to it , cut the wires and connect them together.
I have used this type generator for many years and have gotten great results from it. Please remember this unit produces lethal voltage at all terminals. Use proper caution at all times. Better safe that sorry
GOOD LUCK
ACT View attachment 7227 5"pully and belt for generator

View attachment 7228 cap box

View attachment 7229 caps in parallel

View attachment 7230 wiring for caps 1 wire

View attachment 7231 difference between run cap on left, start on right

View attachment 7232 gas engine

View attachment 7233 power generated

View attachment 7234 outlet plug

View attachment 7235 rating plate on generator

View attachment 7236 both wires on paralleled caps

View attachment 7237 power leads from generator

View attachment 7238 start cap removed and wires connected together

View attachment 7239 cap rating

View attachment 7240 turning the generator

View attachment 7241 start cap ( bad)

View attachment 7242 run cap with marked terminals

View attachment 7243 two pole cap

View attachment 7244 parallel circuit

View attachment 7245 washing machine motor as generator
I was looking to build a generator using common parts around my house and this saves me quite a bit of research time. Thanks.

·
glock snob
346 Posts
so your commin and hot that accuatily run the moter are your power leads , then they go to the caps comin and hot on the caps then at the outher end oh the parrell circut on the caps is your power output of what your moter is rated at , such as 120 or 240 is that correct ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, I'm new here, I put together this generator using a 5 hp gas engine and a 1 hp electric motor, the motor's rpm it 1750, and its rated ar 9 amps. I removed the start capacitors, connected the wires together as directed. I used several run caps from various window unit a/c's to make up a total of 215 uf at 330 volts wired in parallel. when I started the engine, the motor began to generate power. the meter showed about 180 volts. the engine was at mid throttle, lowered the rpm to get the voltage at 130. connected a small box fan to it and the voltage went from 130 to below 100. increased the rpm to raise the voltage to 115. and it ran fine! tried to use a small drill on the generator and the voltage droped to 60 or so. when I pulled the fan and the drill from the generator, the voltage went to above 240! is there something I did wrong or forgot to do?
also is there a such thing as a regulator for this type of setup?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
VERY well put together.

Also note that you can use a DC induction generator for feeding power back into the mains, like people do for wind and solar partial generation. The trick is to use the grid to lock the drivers to grid phase. I'm not telling any more about it, you'll need to hire an electrician. If you do it and screw it up, you'll probably burn your house down and die in a fire. Don't screw around with mains power unless you're an electrician.

But if you do want to learn it and do it right, it's a neat trick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, I wont be connecting this to the mains of my house. I stumbled across this idea while looking for something else. I wanted to build a small generator to power my camping trailer. I was going for the idea of using a 12v car alternator and a inverter, but when I saw this, I thought this might be better. Just need to figure out how to regulate the output so I wont burn things up, like the newer tv's that have electronic circuits and other voltage sensitive things! Any ideas?

·
thank you vets
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dbrannon79
I need to know what type of motor you are using as a generator.If it is one with multiple speeds then most likely it wont work correctly.There is no type of regulation for this type of generator other than the gas engine throttle. Setting the throttle is critical for this generator.Now when you set the rpms on this unit you should use an electric clock ( the one with a second hand not digital)this will give you 60 htz power.You can increase rpm a little bit to compensate for voltage loss but not much no more than 5% above 60 htz.Now you can also increase the uf of cap. bank to about 250 on a 110 volt single phase motor.Increasing the uf will increase the voltage so be careful there.The 200 plus voltage you got earlier was most likely from overrunning rpms.The best motor i have found that can be had for a decent price or for free is a washing machine motor.But always look out for a well pump motor as well they work very good but are harder to find.If you would like pm me and I will answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.
Act

·
thank you vets
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
YoteKilla
In answer to your question Yes. The two leads coming from the motor are the power leads.Look on the top of your run caps. if it is the three terminal type one will be marked hern. it is the highest uf ,one will be marked common, and one will be marked fan it is the lowest marked uf.If it only has two terminals then it doesn't matter which as they are not pole sensitive.ie: + or - I have had best results with voltage marked 380 or 440 volts ac.Be careful when using them as they do hold a charge and will get the unsuspecting finger if touched.The outlet will be attached from the other end of the cap bundle.Hope this helps.

AlgoRythms
My caps. were given to me by an ac repair shop they have bunches and most likely will give them to you just to get rid of them.
Act.

·
Registered
7 Posts
dbrannon79
I need to know what type of motor you are using as a generator.If it is one with multiple speeds then most likely it wont work correctly.There is no type of regulation for this type of generator other than the gas engine throttle. Setting the throttle is critical for this generator.Now when you set the rpms on this unit you should use an electric clock ( the one with a second hand not digital)this will give you 60 htz power.You can increase rpm a little bit to compensate for voltage loss but not much no more than 5% above 60 htz.Now you can also increase the uf of cap. bank to about 250 on a 110 volt single phase motor.Increasing the uf will increase the voltage so be careful there.The 200 plus voltage you got earlier was most likely from overrunning rpms.The best motor i have found that can be had for a decent price or for free is a washing machine motor.But always look out for a well pump motor as well they work very good but are harder to find.If you would like pm me and I will answer any questions you have to the best of my ability.
Act
ok its a dayton indrustrial motor that "had" two start caps, 1750 rpm 115 / 230 volt 9 / 4 amp 1hp. also has a internal fan. If it will help, I can get all the details from the data plate!

I ran it today and reset the rpm to get the voltage at 150 at no load, plugged in a box fan and the voltage stays at around 125 - 135. havent got a light socket to use a 100w light yet, I need to take a trip to home depot to get some supplies! I'm thinking about using a different motor that is rated at 3400 rpm and is a 3hp. I'm thinking that the higher rpm would be eaiser to set rather that the engine running at idle.

·
thank you vets
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok its a dayton indrustrial motor that "had" two start caps, 1750 rpm 115 / 230 volt 9 / 4 amp 1hp. also has a internal fan. If it will help, I can get all the details from the data plate!

I ran it today and reset the rpm to get the voltage at 150 at no load, plugged in a box fan and the voltage stays at around 125 - 135. havent got a light socket to use a 100w light yet, I need to take a trip to home depot to get some supplies! I'm thinking about using a different motor that is rated at 3400 rpm and is a 3hp. I'm thinking that the higher rpm would be eaiser to set rather that the engine running at idle.
dbrannon
check the caps you took off the motor to make sure one is not a run cap.(That is their usual set up one start and one run) The three hp motor you are talking about is it 3 phase. If so then the wiring will be different.But they make a good induction generator as well.You can actually get 3 110 volt outlets or even 220 or a combination of the two. Try finding caps. that have a running voltage of 380 up to 480 this will help some.You need a good cushion when running the generator.Also is the governor on your gas engine working properly.The voltage will go up and down a small bit with loading; the governor should take care of most of it.
Act

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not sure about the motor having a run cap. although one cap was 2 wires and the other has three. I never saw the caps, they had already been scavenged! I do know that one wire went between the two caps as if they were wired in a series.

as for the other motor, unfortunately no, the 3hp motor is only a single phase. I'd like to find a three phase motor. that way I can power more stuff! I just thought it'd be better to have the gas engine running at full throttle rather that at idle to be more stable and able to carry a load!

The 1hp motor I have setup now, I ran it for about 15 min with no load and it got warm. then I powered the box fan on its highest setting for about 20 to 30 minuets longer, and the motor got very warm and at the last, the power output droped to under 100 volts. I disconnected the fan and it would barely generate 100 volts while still at the same rpm the I started with. is this a sign of a bad motor?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wired the 1 hp motor as you said in your first post, connected both wires from the start caps together. as for the third and distinctively longer wire on the second cap, I just taped it up leaving it isolated for anything touching it. I did test the motor to see if it worked as a motor by installing two start caps and powering it on, and it worked.
but I only ran it just briefly.

·
thank you vets
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It does sound as though you have a bad set of windings in the motor or the third wire on the caps went to something else.Never seen one like that.I would try the washing machine motor or a well pump motor, try to stay away from motors that have different speeds in them they will work but the wiring is much more complicated.When the motor is generating with or without a load it will heat a little bit.If it gets so hot you can't hold your hand on it then there is a problem with the motor or wiring.Remember any induction motor will work I chose the washing machine motor because it only has two leads therefore it's easier to connect.Check any motor you want to use by hooking it up to see if it runs alright and turn it the same direction it would be turned if it was used as a motor.This applies to single phase 110 or 220 volt motors. The three phase motors can be turned either direction.Also the three phase motors use less uf and are wired different to make them generate but they are good.And yes the higher rpm motors are better with smaller gas engines because they don't develop full torque until close to full throttle.
Act

·
Thinkin' OUTSIDE the box
55 Posts
Wow, see I know my limitations ... when it comes to advanced electrical - or anything with moving parts (motors etc ...) I am totally intimidated. What I kneed is a guy who has those skills - they would compliment mine - and we'd just be super! Now does this guy exist for me? *sigh* If you find him - send him my way!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there.

This is my 1st attempt at converting an induction motor to generator.

My system is as spec:

1 x Black & Decker GW250 Type 5 1600W single phase blower motor
230V AC 50Hz 6.8A no 15000/min

and in series I have:

1 x 50uF 480V running capacitor

The whole system is run by a belted drive of undetermined ratio. Admittedly I'm not too sure how to calculate the absolute ratio of the drive and thus the final rpm on the motor/as/generator remains unknown.

When I attach a hand drill rated at 2600 rpm to the system and opened it full taps the M.A.G sure spun and sounded like a turbine but my multi-meter showed no more than 3V DC...

Other facts are:

The B&D blower was purchased and used for no more than 10 hours, if that, before it was deemed too noisy and hung in the shed for nearly 5 years before I discovered it.

The Capacitor is the only thing newly purchased in the system.

After researching quite extensively I'm at a bit of a brick wall...
Am I missing something?

Any tips of tricks you're willing to share would be appreciated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.