Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tramper/Hunter
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:whip:

How to make a homemade harness using rope for rock climbing, belaying, abseiling or tree rappelling. Tree rappelling is imitating helicopter rappelling you climb up a tree with a rope and harness and lower your self down. Something I'm looking into starting.
should have some great fun doing this !!!!! i can't post link so PM me for the link

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
A harness, figure 8, a belay device, several caribiners, and 100m rope would be a wise investment after you got the priorities down. There is always some place you need to repel or climb even in the plains.

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
A harness, figure 8, a belay device, several caribiners, and 100m rope would be a wise investment after you got the priorities down. There is always some place you need to repel or climb even in the plains.
Defently Pauly. There have been countless times I could have repelled down a cliff. I use to go repelling all the time when I was in the ARMY. Scares the *bleep* out of me, but I enjoy it.

Just think. Haul all that gear up to the empire state building, toss it over, and repell down. OH the fun. Course you'd be arrested at the bottom. Just watch out for jumping buisness men. And pray some stupid kid doesn't think it'd be funny to cut the rope.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
it's called a Swiss seat, and aside from knowing he basics of lock-in rope climbing, knowing how to make one is essential. Air assault school was great, eight years later, I was able to tie one from muscle memory.

Pauly is totally right. I was able to pick up three 100 foot lengths of climbing rope cheap, and aside from teaching my wife how to do simple ascents and descents, I got a bunch of pullies, hooks and such rigging and UAE it as my strong arm. Last weekend, we lifted a 24ft 4x10 into a second floorwindow with a block and tackle and 50 ft of climbing rope. Two of us... One of those moments when you impress yourself. I bought the gear today for pulling that beam into place with the same rope. My climbing rope.

One of the most useful skills I am working on, comes in handy at least twice a day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts