Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to make a ghilie suit and its turning out to be alot more work then it looks. does anybody who has made alot of suits have any sudgestions on things to do or tips of the best way.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
get a roll of burlap from the garden center at home depo bout $8 shred it and tie it on to the netting
good rule of thumb is keep it 75% tans and browns 25% green

one thing that will make it a little more comfortable is cut vent holes in the back of the bdu jacket as they get very hot esp in the south georgia sun

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have not made a suit. But I have made a poncho which provides easier movement. here is a pic where I used it as background when taking a picture of my RTAK. I looks kind of funky but works well in my AO when local foliage added using the para-cord ties I have attached.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I made an awesome one I use for paintball, I am 6 foot 1 inch tall 240 lbs and not only did I make an entire body raincoat style suit (no legs, more of a dress bottom) I had enough to make a head cover and a scarf for my gun as well. Here is the kit I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ghillie-poncho-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33504853ca

it did take about 15-20 hours of tying and fabricating but the results look it. I used zip ties to make the pull over suit out of the 1 inch grid mesh that comes in the kit, its like 5 by 7 feet or so.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts

·
A country boy can survive
336 Posts
Shannon's Bug Tamer Leafy Suit as the base. Add paracord ties, scraps from old cammys, tie in native vegetation. Yet to find another ghille that will keep the bugs off of you, limit human odor (charcoal models), as light and cool to wear in hot weather, offers as much freedom of movement, or conceals as well once modified. I've been close enough to a whitetail doe to smack her hindquarters, and I've caught squirrels with boonie hat in this get-up. In the deer stand in bow season you'll have squirrels trying to "climb" you and birds landing on you.

You'll need the parka at least. I use the parka and pants together with my own gloves. I replaced the mesh over the face part of the hood with a lighter color. The factory mesh is too dark and leaves a "black hole". I bought a 1/2 yard of coyote brown mesh at a fabric store for $2 and sewed it in on the wife's Singer.

Link:
http://www.shannonoutdoors.com/store/catalog/product_15_3D_Big_Leaf_Bug_Tamer_Plus_Parka.html

t2e

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.