Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one out there make outdoor gear. I have made some (wood and alcohol stoves, tin can pots, knives ect.) looking for some new ideas. Any out there.

Anthony

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have made some of the pop can alcohol stoves , never have gotten one to work right though. I have had better luck with the coffee can ( hobo) stoves and the rocket stoves. I used to make my own primitive arrows and knives with flint and obsidian. I dont bow hunt anymore though and the flint knifes although very good dont come close to a good durable modern hunting knife.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I have a good tip for alcohol stoves that I haven't seen on YouTube: I bought a metal can of BBs at Wallyworld that is shaped like a chew tin. It screws down so the top can't pop off (one problem I had using soda cans). This also allows you to open it for filling instead of making a hole in the middle.

I drilled eight small holes around the outer rim (not the top). This allows me to set a pot or can directly on the stove, and it is much more stable than a can stove or pot stand set-up.

Because the metal is thicker, it requires more priming to get the alcohol fuming. To solve this I set it in a pickle jar cover and dump a half teaspoon of alcohol in it. Works great. I use it when I'm through-hiking and it's too wet out for a wood fire. Never fails.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Another thing Ive been wanting to make and havent got around to it yet , is a hooded poncho made from a couple of wool military surplus blankets. I bet it would keep ya warm without much trouble.

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
I've been meaning to try making a pop can stove.. I hear it works best with certain beer cans, the ones with bumps on them.

I also ALMOST made hiking sandals from tires after seeing this: http://www.hollowtop.com/sandals.htm (because I wear sandals for hiking and general walking and mine wore out faster than usual this year) but REI paid me $20 to trade my busted Tevas in for Keens, LOL.

And I plan to make a sleeping bag liner once I read up on the fabrics, since those stupid things can be expensive, and it's basically just a rectangle.

....buuuut yeah, I actually don't think I've really made much YET besides marshmallow sticks. One of my camping buddies is the stupidly over-prepared type, so it hasn't come up.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
made knives, spears, fishing poles, hammers, tents, cold air intakes, clothes, green houses,slings,slingstaves,soap,chainmail,charcoal,rain collector,fish ponds, fish traps and others. my next thing to make is a cpu in a .50 cal ammo box.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Cool video. Been wrapping myself and wife in blanket at sports events for years. Never thought of this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
nice vid on the blanket. I have made bows, knives, stoves mostly hobo ones, spears, cloths, indoor gardens, the list can go on and on. What it boiled down to was that i dont have alot of money so i make what i cant afford and no that doesn't mean i can make a M60 or a tank.

·
Registered
118 Posts
made knives, spears, fishing poles, hammers, tents, cold air intakes, clothes, green houses,slings,slingstaves,soap,chainmail,charcoal,rain collector,fish ponds, fish traps and others. my next thing to make is a cpu in a .50 cal ammo box.
how do you do your charcoal, and do you do it large amounts?

when you start the cpu in a can, would you post pics. that would be wicked.:thumb:

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
sure camocarman cpu in a can and pic i'd love to so will do.

for the charcoal i have a 55gal steel drum w/1" holes around the bottom for air to come in. then i have a blower attached to the barrel about 1/4 the way up the barrel to excelerate the burn. then i put the lid on and the metal sealing band. and last but not least push dirt up around the bottom of the barrel to starve the wood of oxygen and let it sit till cool. i do a 3/4 drum every time i make my charcoal.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
For those of you who have a hard time with the pop can stoves, check out this alternative:

http://zenstoves.net/SimplifiedZenStove.htm

I have made several of these little stoves and they work great for $0.50 worth of material. I also make windscreens out of aluminum flashing and a priming pan out of a cut down pot pie tin that really help the stoves perform better. I carry one of these stoves in my car and one in my BOB. If you use the 24 oz. Heineken can-pot, it all nests together.

I am just starting to get into building specialized/custom fishing rods. My next 2 prototypes are going to be a pack-type rod but I'm having trouble finding blanks that make me happy. The other is a trolling rod for salmon on Lake Michigan with an alternative method for placing the guides.

My next project will be taking a buttstock for my T/C Encore and making it a compartment for storing extra ammo, survival supplies, etc. - homemade survival rifle.

I would like to take a class to learn how to make knives!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I make a lot of pop can stoves I haven't had any problems with the top popping off. I make the pressurized kind with the small holes to fill it. I put a piece of fiberglass insulation in it then push it together I also put a slit in the side of the top can to aid in getting it together. I tried to make a pot out of a Heineken can but when I cut the top of using my side cutter can opener it cuts down to far and the top falls into the pot.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I am adding a secondary ouch to this back pack

http://www.foxoutdoor.com/detail.asp?bid=775&sctn=Bags+&+Packs&cat=Backpacks

By sewing some webbing on it and attaching THIS mini Rucksack to it:

http://www.foxoutdoor.com/detail.asp?bid=17&sctn=Bags+&+Packs&cat=Rucksacks

So far it seems to be a great fit. If it works out well, I may sell them online.

I am using ALICE clips so the MINI can be removed in order to carry just the prime survival gear, like a Compass, fire starting gear, small fishing kit, and maybe TP (or whatever).

The Rio Grande is a Fantastic pack, but lacks some webbing and tiedown straps for sleeping bags and such. I will be including the added straps free of charge for anyone that wants to buy one from now on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have made boloes(spelling may be wrong) would work well for turkeys. use rope and tie rocks in the end. I usually use 3 strand rope untwist them and tie it so I have 6 rocks on the bottom and tied in the center. Just throw and eat.

·
A country boy can survive
336 Posts
I make my own sleeping bag liners. Just buy a set of flannel sheets for about $10. Trace the shape of your bag on one side of the sheet. Fold in half, and cut away the excess. Leave 2-3 extra inches of material outside of the line you traced and sew the open edges together. I can make 4 liners out of two sheets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts