Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like many other people don't know much about bows, but I'd like to learn so if anyone has tips, hints, insight, skill, or otherwise general knowledge about the subject please post it here so others interested can learn.

also, I was wondering if you could make one out of thin steel( like 1-3mm bar stock) and put it together like a leaf spring on a truck

please respond with any useful info if you feel so inclined

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Never made a bow out of steel...I built that one in 2000, It's seen quite a bit of use and has held up fairly well...
Peter

·
Registered
64 Posts
I made my own longbow. The design looks like peters but the wood is purple heart. Its not too hard to make a longbow or recurve I have never felt the need to try steel though I think the same old wooden designs have proven themselves over the past few thousand years.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
thats cool man, but I trust the durability of steel more than wood
it would be overly heavy for the amount of tension it would supply... I tried it. Also not all wood will work, it has to be very dense straight grained or it will splinter.

·
Registered
372 Posts
thats cool man, but I trust the durability of steel more than wood
not putting down your opinion, but do realize that early europeans and native americans amongst countless others did just fine with some good old wood. :)

I have no doubt you could make a bow with steel, and if you wanted to make one just for yourself, for the novelty of it, more power to you.

But over all its impractical.

And in all seriousness if you want to make a bow of steel, I would suggest first making a bow out of wood. Learn the basics that have been handed down to us from the last few hundred years, and once you have some understanding of that I would pursue your goal of fashioning one out of steel.

Its one of those walk, before you run type of things.

·
Minarchist (Jeffersonian)
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank's guy's great suggestions I think I will make a wood one first

also, the idea of a giant crossbow mounted in the back of my truck, looks cool in my head, any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Make the wood bow first, They are deceptively simple, at first glace nothing more than a couple of sticks and a string, but to get one to shoot smoothly with enough power and a reasonably flat arrow cast, takes a bit of homework (study and design).

Heres something to consider, when building a bow...the bottom limb by virtue of the handle is going to be shorter than the upper limb.
Since both limbs are made from the same material and the lower limb is shorter it is obviously under more tension/compression and has less distiance to travel...It is going to travel faster with more power than the upper limb. To get a bow to shoot as accurately as possible it is necessary to tune the bow limbs. The idea is to get both limb tips to stop together at the same time. It's called tillering.
Peter

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
I like many other people don't know much about bows, but I'd like to learn so if anyone has tips, hints, insight, skill, or otherwise general knowledge about the subject please post it here so others interested can learn.

also, I was wondering if you could make one out of thin steel( like 1-3mm bar stock) and put it together like a leaf spring on a truck

please respond with any useful info if you feel so inclined
Hi MF, check the http://www.survivalistboards.com/downloads.php Survival Files section, there are plenty of how to's on bowmaking up there.

Cheers, Herne

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I have been making hunting bows for about 5 years now. It took me sometime to learn how to make them. I have made the out of Hickory and Osage. Osage makes the best hunting bow for me.
Very nice. That's Osage is the same wood Mr. Starns uses for his bows in the video above. He does not use a lathe or anything fancy. Just a knife so he can follow the grain of the wood.

Would love to hear more about your process. Beautiful stuff.

·
Registered
216 Posts
There is much better info. to lean from than I can post on here. A good starting point, for those really wanted to build a bow that will shoot good and last is, The Traadtional Bowyer's Bible, volume one. There are now I think 5 volumes published.
Also, I think that the first few bows should be "board bows" that are backed with something like raw hide. Backing just adds protection from breakage if you make a mistake on the back of the bow.

Following the ring on the back of an Osage bow will be the biggest issue for the beginner. Read up, ask a lot of questions, as you go, on some of the bow building sites on the net and have at it.

I made many bows when I first started that either broke or were not strong enought to hunt with.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts