Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any links to how to build a 12 generator from a lawn mower motor? I found a few links a long time ago but I cant seem to find them again.
I plan on building one to power our well in the case of a power outage which we seem to have frequently in the winter!
I have an electric hot water tank. So if the power goes out then we might install a propane water tank in the same main water line as our electric one. Then I can switch to propane till the electricty gets turned back on.

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
Here you go! http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html What kind of well pump do you have? They are usually 220/230V AC. By the time you by a inverter that will push 220 volts to the pump you may come out cheaper buying a generator. If you have a shallow well that you can use a 110V pump in this may be for you. You will need an DC to AC inverter in conjunction with the homemade DC generator. Hope this helps!

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
Those inverters are 50Hz. Will they power our 60HZ things OK?
I apologize! I put down the link for inverters for European countries @ 50 hz. Google 60Hz AC to DC inverters. There are too many websites to list here. I am looking for a used RV inverter right now which is 110/220 60Hz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ended up getting a generator after pricing and sizing what i would need to pull the pump at my old house.I also ended up wiring a box and making cables to readily connect to the the well house(you do not wanna be doing this in the middle of a storm or other inclement weather!):thumb:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I built one for fun last year out of an old Honda bottom shaft(push type) lawnmower. Most people like using side shaft engines, but if you are handy you can use either. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
630 Posts
yeah post a pic please. i helped a friend build one once to power his travel trailer, he converted it to all 12 volt because he keeped burning up honda generators and this was cheaper,easier and it never gave up and would deliver full power at idle speed.

·
Corporate Stooge
116 Posts
You will save money in the long run by converting to a natural gas water heater. Also, get a gas stove!
Not in all areas. In the PNW gas is much more expensive than, say NorCal.

But on topic; I recall seeing someone turn a diesel car engine into a freestanding bio-diesel generator. Runs a lot more than a little mower engine would.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Check the local truck stops if you are wanting an inverter to run straight from a battery set up. They have lots of them. I purchased a 1500 watt inverter for $50.

At harbor freight ( a whole saler of hardware) should be a national chain store, They have a generator by itself for about 110 dollars. With a pully, you can hook it up to anything, lawn mower moter, tractor, car drive axle, horse tread mill, anything.

later
wayne

·
Registered
143 Posts
But on topic; I recall seeing someone turn a diesel car engine into a freestanding bio-diesel generator. Runs a lot more than a little mower engine would.

Your generator side of that equation might get a little expensive, as you'd want more than a few old car alternators. One would probably want an AC generator, which would require a constant speed governor on the engine (easy enough to source for a diesel). Also, you have to consider if it is sensible for you to have that size of generator, as it will be very inefficient unless run near maximum load.

But if it fits the bill, then it's not a bad idea.

If I was to go with a 'smaller' DC setup, I think I'd be tempted to find an engine in the 20HP range and convert it to propane or dual fuel with multiple high amperage alternators for rapid charging of a battery bank. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've always thought that it would be easy to fabricate a mount to put an alternator on the old style garden tillers. I think it would need a larger pulley than most have to get the RPM up. If a suitable size pulley could be mounted along with the standard one, you would have a dual use machine. I would remove the alternator & it's belt when tilling. And I would remove the tiller belt when using the alternator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts