Survivalist Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I’m ok with my taxes going for asylums. Legitimate ones anyway. They need several tiers to be beneficial imho.
The ability to permanently house/handle those who no longer can be in public.
The ability to treat those who are only dented instead of fully broken. A qualified oversight which can monitor the person and try and get them able to be successful in society again while instilling the concept that it takes work. Survival itself is the lowest tier but the person must strive to be above that. No more living off the kindness (or forced support) of others.
I agree with you a bit.

But I'd be concerned that the people in charge of the asylums figure out that they get $xxxxxxx per person there, and so it's in their best interests to keep people there that don't need to be there, and to give treatment in such a way that a person ends up staying there much longer than otherwise would have been necessary.

I saw a local school district do that with homeschoolers a few times. They get $xxxxx from the state per student. They had been forced to cut the budget, and so one year they went after homeschoolers.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
This is absolutely correct. Democrats especially require a permanent underclass. As I pointed out previously, since the declaration of LBJ's Great War on Poverty, we still have poor people, homeless people, and hungry people in this country all with no end in sight. With the hundreds of billions if not trillions that have been spent, how can that be? Yes, that is a rhetorical question.
In Europe the underclass has since the 60'es moved up to the middle class. So to fix this, they have imported a new underclass from the third world.
A population in perpetual war with itself, will not confront the elite..
Extreme left and rightwingers are pointed out as enemies in the media, arrested by the police, but simultanously being secretly financed and supported by the elite. They want and need the extremists to keep the conflict going, they just don't want them to grow to strong..

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
:confused: :confused:

The fact that the .gov is already raping me for taxes does absolutely nothing to justify your argument.

Just because they are already ****ing me in the ass doesn't mean I might as well like it.
Pretty simple.

Exchange bloated, ineffective programs run by all levels of government that are nothing but money grabs for NGOs and NPOs for a cheaper and more effective program that focuses on actual reintegration.

I know there is no viable solution to the "taxation is theft" anarcho-capitalist crowd, but here we are, living in a country that never practiced the particular principle in any period of its existence.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Homelessness seems to be a rapidly growing problem all across the US (and elsewhere I suppose). I notice it all around my state of Colorado, and it’s impossible to look at the news and not find it being mentioned in many states, especially California. I can’t say I recall it being “as bad” when I was younger so I’m left with a few questions I’m pondering.

-Is it significantly worse than decades past or is it just media hype?
-Is there a realistic solution to combat it or is it a runaway train with nothing to be done except disposing of the dead?

It seems that there are several common issues that get mentioned a little which are prevalent in many homeless people. Drugs/alcohol and mental illness.
But are there other influential factors? Are there some who “choose” to be homeless simply because it’s easier than working and being a part of society?
I realize there a multitude of different possibilities and each person is different but I can’t understand how so many are simply unable or unwilling to rise up and fix themselves. Government has delved deep and spent largely but are essentially (not surprisingly) ineffective. Church groups and people with good intentions still dole out money, food, clothing, etc... but still the problem seems to be expanding rapidly.

California is inundated with it and they seem to be heading towards bankruptcy. Eventually that well will run dry and I’d expect to see a great migration of homeless spreading to other states much like a plague.

Perhaps this is another aspect of shtf that one should prepare to deal with? Maybe it’s not much different than many other shtf type events.

So what are y’all’s thoughts on homelessness?
Do you think that there is a cause and effect relationship between homelessness and sanitariums for housing those with mental illness closing?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
having worked years in social services I can give some insight into the issue. Drugs, alcohol, mental issues and housing difficulty is just part of the issue. To attack the problem we are going to need to reduce some peoples rights. Bottom line, duggies and alcoholics will need to sent to work farms. The mentally ill will need their reproductive ability stopped. Medication will need to be mandatory and many will need to live in controlled environments. We will need to accept the home with the picket fence is not attainable for everyone. Some homes will have multiple generations in them. While we don't like to admit it, we are over populated, we have to reduce our population and adjust our economy. I remember studies on overcrowding in rats done in the 60's. We are seeing similar situations in humans. Liberals blame guns for killings. We disagree. We tend to look at drugs and alcohol as the reason for homelessness. eliminate drugs and alcohol and there will still be homeless, just fewer

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,146 Posts
IMHO, government is behind it all.
Why?
Government rules and regulations interfere with the liberty to build "alternative" housing - even on one's own land.... or water. (120 years ago, shanty boats were common place for folks down on their luck - but they weren't sleeping in the streets)
How did "we" fall for these ridiculous restrictions like "occupancy permit"?
Where did government get the POWER to make us get PERMISSION from it, to live in any house?
Sigh.
Oh, right, we gave consent, saith the law. But since few Americans bother to read the law, no one realizes how and when they consented. Shucks, even CONgress doesn't read the bills they enact (they're too long, for one reason).

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,792 Posts
Homelessness seems to be a rapidly growing problem all across the US (and elsewhere I suppose). I notice it all around my state of Colorado, and it’s impossible to look at the news and not find it being mentioned in many states, especially California. I can’t say I recall it being “as bad” when I was younger so I’m left with a few questions I’m pondering.

-Is it significantly worse than decades past or is it just media hype?
-Is there a realistic solution to combat it or is it a runaway train with nothing to be done except disposing of the dead?

It seems that there are several common issues that get mentioned a little which are prevalent in many homeless people. Drugs/alcohol and mental illness.
But are there other influential factors? Are there some who “choose” to be homeless simply because it’s easier than working and being a part of society?
I realize there a multitude of different possibilities and each person is different but I can’t understand how so many are simply unable or unwilling to rise up and fix themselves. Government has delved deep and spent largely but are essentially (not surprisingly) ineffective. Church groups and people with good intentions still dole out money, food, clothing, etc... but still the problem seems to be expanding rapidly.

California is inundated with it and they seem to be heading towards bankruptcy. Eventually that well will run dry and I’d expect to see a great migration of homeless spreading to other states much like a plague.

Perhaps this is another aspect of shtf that one should prepare to deal with? Maybe it’s not much different than many other shtf type events.

So what are y’all’s thoughts on homelessness?
My plan to end homelessness:

1) Stop the vast majority of "welfare" programs. Most of the people on them are able-bodied and diverting resources from the few who really need them. Government welfare is unaccountable, and ends up bribing people into dependence. It allows people to meander through life, rudderless and unimproved.

2) Cut government spending to the bone. Stop government from spending people's money and they might get to keep some.

3) Lower tax rates down to the opposite side of the Laffer Curve. Government gets the same revenue by taking a smaller portion of a bigger pie, but it also leaves people with a lot more of their money to live on, or to give charitably to organizations that are more effective than government.

4) Lower barriers to entry so it is easier to make money. Lower regulation by requiring legislation, not executive branch fiat, to make the law accountable to the people who have to work under it.

5) Bring back flop houses to replace homeless shelters. Compliance with arbitrary rules makes getting a shelter stay a full time job, and the curfews prevent the homeless from most gainful employment. Let them pay for a cot and a shower and have some dignity.

6) Stop government from competing with churches and charities, which are far more efficient.

7) Stop all "affordable housing" mandates and allow the market demand to dictate what housing is built.

8) Prosecute the homeless so they stop getting arrested as a solution to their problem. Couple this with criminal justice reform focused on restitution.

9) Stop attacking God in the public square because His organizations are the best equipped to handle the problem.

10) Focus what little government involvement remains on those who are genuinely unable to care for themselves.

11) End all regulation on owner-occupied single family housing.

Wait a decade and watch the problem vanish.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
It really isn't a lack of housing, at least most places, vs. people not taking their mental illness medication and refusing to play in society. I have met several homeless who told me just that.

Even my brother is guilty, but he at least has a place.

Reactions: tedlovesjeeps71

·
Registered
18,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
It really isn't a lack of housing, at least most places, vs. people not taking their mental illness medication and refusing to play in society. I have met several homeless who told me just that.

Even my brother is guilty, but he at least has a place.
Which, under the law of nature, would not be an issue as those who refuse help would soon fall victim to their own illness. This applies to not only the mentally ill or physically incapable, it applies to all. Is it callous to watch people die who may have been saved? Perhaps. But the simple, brutal truth is we are all responsible for our own survival. And while some were dealt a bad hand and may be unable, without assistance, to survive, such is the way of nature.
Unfortunately, we have allowed our government, at the behest of the kind hearted, good intentioned people to take over the role of savior. A task they have never nor ever will be able to perform. The best answer is to remove all government assistance along with government interference and allow people to provide for themselves. Some would likely still find willing individuals or groups who try to help out. Many, unfortunately, would die or even be killed trying to survive by taking from others. Again, nature at work. While it certainly seems harsh and goes against moral people to see suffering while remaining uninvolved, it is far more human to allow all the opportunity to survive (or not) on their own than to force Everyone to become enslaved attempting to help the weak. JMHO.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
The problem with mental illness they can take out the innocent on their way out.

I am job hunting now and one thing I have decided I will admit to having "problems with depression" (who wouldn't, after losing a spouse?) but not the bipolar.

·
Registered
18,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
The problem with mental illness they can take out the innocent on their way out.

I am job hunting now and one thing I have decided I will admit to having "problems with depression" (who wouldn't, after losing a spouse?) but not the bipolar.
I hear you and can honestly emphasize. My wife has BPD along with other illnesses. I believe the problem stems from the fact that people have found it easier and more convenient to push those with troubles off on the government to deal with. The government, naturally, is more than willing to accept the job because they can leverage it for money and power increases while daring anyone to disagree. Family, churches, and communities used to offer assistance for people (as best they could). I’d wager that those same people are more motivated to provide better care than some govt run agency. I’d also, respectfully, state that it is those families who have to obligation long before it should be tasked out to the taxpayer at large.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well you'd have to convince the homeless to not be homeless first. Good luck with that. A significant number are homeless by choice.

Another significant number of homeless folks simply aren't willing to work. Good luck with that also.

The final significant number of homeless are addicted to one drug or another and refuse any help to get clean. Again, good luck with that.

Homeless people that 1. Don't want to be, 2. Have a job, and 3. Aren't addicted to drugs/alcohol are actually extremely rare.

So you see what we have isn't a homeless people problem at all. It's just easier to call it that rather than talk about the real issues because the heart of the issue is PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY and God forbid you insist people start doing that!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
A lot of homeless are also mentally ill. Being homeless and addicted to drugs is common with a lot of mental illness. And they simply can't get themselves together, because their mind doesn't work right. Until that gets addressed somehow, involuntary homelessness isn't going away.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
Well, Alpha, first they have to get diagnosed. Let's fund the mental health clinics, the one here in Houston is ghastly. I am all for that. Two, they have to accept their diagnosis. Third, they have to take medication as directed and avoid addictive drugs and alcohol. No more "drinking your depression away".

Once that is done I am willing to help, assuming they are willing to better themselves and work for a living.

My own mother was bipolar, refused to take medication, drank, ended up homeless before she died. She was on her way to move in with my sister when she had a massive heart attack and died. So I get it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do you think that there is a cause and effect relationship between homelessness and sanitariums for housing those with mental illness closing?
Historically, roundups have typically begun with those who have already been marginalized, the "undesirables" (houseless, sodo-mites, low socio, mental health, apoliticals, etc.). Once we're desensitized, it's all under the radar, few disapprove, even fewer notice -- until they inevitably come for you.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A lot of homeless are also mentally ill. Being homeless and addicted to drugs is common with a lot of mental illness. And they simply can't get themselves together, because their mind doesn't work right. Until that gets addressed somehow, involuntary homelessness isn't going away.
Begging y'alls pardon, I forgot to mention that in my other post.

It's this particular group that IMO actually needs the most help.

Thank you for bringing this up.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
I have never met a homeless person I felt was sane.

However, as one filthy, urine soaked, drunken veteran told me "I'm not taking those pills". You can't help someone like that, they just drink themselves to death in the gutter.

Reactions: biathlon

·
Bear Magnet
3,744 Posts
Patience folks. The problem will eventually solve itself. With the direction this nation is headed, our currency is doomed. Once this happens and all the free #### army stops getting all their free ####, ALL of our major urban areas are going to go up in flames. At that point, I will vanish up into the rocks and declare myself "Command Sargeant Major of the World"!!

81 - 100 of 103 Posts