Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ok. Think i commented on homeless elsewhere. My last house was one i rented. Needles in the sidewalk shrubs. Open urination on the sidewalk... Etc.
I lived right behind a "soup kitchen" and between 2 homeless shelters that were about a dozen blocks from each other. Part of my duties in an old job was helping in the food bank. I'm pretty jaded.
It was stated that the government needs to get out of the charity business. I would say the churches and other nonprofits need to get out as well. The homeless just follow the services and hand outs. If you eliminate any handouts, i think the homeless problem would all but disappear.
I have thought of donating heavily to foodbanks and homeless shelters in areas away from me, just to move demand elsewhere. I'm just a drop in the charity bucket though.
Another subject. But i think i stated elsewhere that if nonprofit status was eliminated, most of the churches and do gooders would disappear too. 2 sides of the same coin.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We need the Government to stop making nanny laws to fix issues that make matters worse. They have screwed many American out of a stable 40 hours job or at least a decent part-time one in the Quest for putting Healthcare benefits on the back of employers; leaving loopholes open for the employers to punish the workers even more

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,721 Posts
The left does NOT want to fix it. They want to expand it. Why?

Like most leftist man made disasters, they created a problem that has grown too big and will be hard to fix and probably cause a lot of suffering to get to a solution.

Here's a few that have ruined society and driven people to financial ruin, and homelessness:

* Ruin of the family unit thru a myriad of leftists feminist ideals.
* Easy and wide access to drugs.
* High taxation.
* Anti-business policies.
* Housing regulations.
* Ruin of public education (teaching nonsense instead of fundamentals).
* Destruction of gender norms.
* Attacks on religion and destruction of decency.
* Filth in entertainment, promoting decayed morality.

Add it all up and you get rampant gutted human relations and infrastructure and deep poverty. You also get an uneducated, powerless, poverty stricken culture population deep in despair, irrational, driven by emotions, and easy to rile up and control.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I`ve always believed pull your own weight or perish. It happens in all species. I would bet if these people were told you will perish if you don`t work they would start to work and pull their own weight.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's what the poor are doing, they can't even afford to leave but also fear leaving what they know. The homeless have resorted to second class status and most its strictly survival. Problem is survival has been bred out of our species

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a solution that most any smart liberal would be in favor of. Just double the property taxes in every city that has a homeless problem. Use that tax to build free shelters, like Budget Suites, so these poor unfortunate people can have a roof over their heads. Then put them on payroll keeping these places clean and maintained.

This works out so well on paper, how can it not fix the problem? :)

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
There are different reasons for homelessness. The problem now is that in some cities you have people working that can’t afford shelter. This is because of high housing prices caused by leftist zoning regulations.

Solution. Allow Mobil homes.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,969 Posts
The whole homeless problem is caused by zoning and building codes.
Eliminate those and your problem disappears.
ONLY if you let them build their tent cities right on your lot line and all around your property.

I worked long and hard to find my place buried in the woods and while there are few restrictions, in this county, the ability to permanently erect a tent city full of vagrants is something that is not allowed.

Hard as it sounds you do need to be able to control where they go and try to live or else you will have folks losing their life's work because their nice house they have invested hundreds of thousands of $$ in will lose about 75% of its value when 300 homeless tent together on the empty lot next door.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Stop allowing truck loads of illegal drugs to come across the Mexican border in the name of global trade. Use our navy to make sure drugs aren't coming in from our "trading partners" like Mexico and China. Check out the submarines full of drugs coming in from south of the border, and the Chinese container ship full of "enough Fentanyl to kill 14 million people." Otherwise, just close your eyes and wait until your teenage daughter, or son, gets caught hooking for drugs.
Instead of yelling "Build That Wall," should be yelling "Search Those Trucks and Ships."

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
If my husband and I can get up and work, every damned day, multiple disabilities for both of us, I got no sympathy for an able bodied drunk or addict.

William, no one is holding them down and forcing them to use drugs. They are making a choice to use them. My husband has SEVERE chronic pain and only uses a low dose prescription (one tablet a day), some herbs, magnets, and vodka. Even with the vodka he is still functional.

I am bipolar, have brain damage, and slept on the floor last night due to a crisis. And I am still up at 3 AM planning to go to work.

I can't tell you how much it angers me when people play the "oh, they are mentally ill, give them a pass" card because everything out there is SUPER treatable with very low cost, low side effect, medications. However, the person has to admit they are ill and take it daily. Most are not willing to do that. That does not make them a victim, quite the opposite.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Its time to allow the hot dope to hit the streets and cause ODs. Ban the use of Narcan that saves the dope heads because they are already dead.

Some disease will also hit the streets and eliminate some of them.

·
Premium Member
7,918 Posts
So many different variables of homelessness it would be impossible to create a simple solution.

A major factor is a general "loss of purpose". People don't get addicted to heroin or become debilitated alcoholics for fun. They do it to escape an existence that holds no meaning, purpose, or hope.

People are "checking out" of society even though we live in an era of relative extreme safety and comfort. Why?

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
I slept on the ****ing floor last night, have for a week due to home repairs... got 4 hours of sleep bipolar and brain damage, got up, did caregiving for him and 2 cats - and went to work. Came home. Now I am being responsible waiting for my foreman to show up.

And I took all my pills for the day, too.

It is NOT THAT HARD.

Reactions: thataway

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
There is only one solution to the homeless issue. enforce vagrancy laws and county work farms. I have worked with the homeless when I was employed at the welfare dept. I remember reading where the Fresno city police staked out a street corner were several beggars were begging. After a while they came together, pooled their funds and made a phone call. A drug dealer drove up and sold them drugs. The police arrested all of them. Time to look at the real issue and address it

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Jesus said the poor you will have always.

I've come to see that there are people who just plain don't want to work - it's not that they need a bit of help to get back on their feet, or a loan, or some temporary help. They really don't want to better themselves and just want whatever free handout they can get. They are often into drugs and spend every penny they get on them.

And that's how you can spend billions on the problem and it only gets worse.

There are, of course, people that don't want to live like that and do just need a bit of help to get back on their feet. Those are the people we want to be helping.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What part of most of you dont get that affordability and availability of housing being a problem that no matter how much you work you cannot get a home. Like I said a lot more homeless are hidden and hiding working their butts off to pay for residential hotels and motels trying to survive and they are uncounted too.

The solution put them to work rewarded by a paycheck and a place to sleep. Employers trying to dodge the healthcare mandate are contributing to the instability as much as not controlling high rents and uncontrolled immigration. There's a reason for the not nice areas to live because it's cheaper to live and grow up and learn, but bulldozing those areas and building multimillion dollar condos and homes causes more problems that just cleaning them up

·
Registered
192 Posts
Seeing the comments here makes me feel that this isnt an America of the free and brave, but of those who have and have not. I live in California and am not a liberal, 6th generation living here and it's a hell hole trying to survive everyday. People working hard, and I mean long and hard 10-14 hours a day, 6 to 7 days a week should be able to survive and they're not. And before someone says move, get out......go where, somewhere that is unknown to you, that may have work or they are having a shortage of jobs too; cause if it's bad in the land of good and plenty it can be worse elsewhere

Y'all need to realize that good Americans are hurting and need help, they're not druggies or alcoholics or just losers. The game has changed and with everyone and everyone cheating see what your left with.......California and the left coast

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
16,722 Posts
I used to live in CA. I visited Houston. I read a paper - lots of employment paying the same rate as CA. I got my ass out here. I am a homeowner with a business.

I got rid of 98% of my stuff before I moved out here and I don't regret it. A lot of people are so married to their crap they can't bear to part. Until they have to.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Not s simple or single solution. But work camps were utilized during the depression era. Have mental health/physical health workers to screen those who have mental or physical health issues to be treated. Treat them.

FEMA trailers are rotting away and can be utilized. Even formal tent cities.

In the camp assure that the "workers" who need their medication take it.

In the cities provide real low cost housing--may be "camps" outside of the city with bus in.

We have seen workers who carpool or bus for several hours to a good job from affordable housing areas. It is do-able.

We are visiting S. Calif. Culver City does not seem to have a major "homeless problem" because the police enforce vagrancy laws. But in the Los Angeles County strip and Santa Monica it is much worse than when were here 6 months and a year ago.

If the issues are not addressed and solved, they will continue to grow and get worse. Agree they seem to be mostly in the areas where welfare is more prevalent.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts