Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
18,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Homelessness seems to be a rapidly growing problem all across the US (and elsewhere I suppose). I notice it all around my state of Colorado, and it’s impossible to look at the news and not find it being mentioned in many states, especially California. I can’t say I recall it being “as bad” when I was younger so I’m left with a few questions I’m pondering.

-Is it significantly worse than decades past or is it just media hype?
-Is there a realistic solution to combat it or is it a runaway train with nothing to be done except disposing of the dead?

It seems that there are several common issues that get mentioned a little which are prevalent in many homeless people. Drugs/alcohol and mental illness.
But are there other influential factors? Are there some who “choose” to be homeless simply because it’s easier than working and being a part of society?
I realize there a multitude of different possibilities and each person is different but I can’t understand how so many are simply unable or unwilling to rise up and fix themselves. Government has delved deep and spent largely but are essentially (not surprisingly) ineffective. Church groups and people with good intentions still dole out money, food, clothing, etc... but still the problem seems to be expanding rapidly.

California is inundated with it and they seem to be heading towards bankruptcy. Eventually that well will run dry and I’d expect to see a great migration of homeless spreading to other states much like a plague.

Perhaps this is another aspect of shtf that one should prepare to deal with? Maybe it’s not much different than many other shtf type events.

So what are y’all’s thoughts on homelessness?

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
3,649 Posts
In some locales, the welfare system pays better than a minimum wage job.
And no drug test.
And no schedule to keep.
And no boss man keeping you down.

I have seen panhandlers collect over $200 in a few hours. Why would they go back to work when there is no incentive.

The solution... not an easy one but the first thing is to get the government out of the charity business. Leave that to the church and the bleeding hearts. I have no problem with a hand up.... no more hand outs.
#2, drug test monthly for any assistance. Fail one test, you get no more assistance... ever.
#3, quit coddling them. Less are mentally disturbed than one might think. They know how to milk the system and have no shame in doing so. Sure some are messed in the head, identify them and get them real help, not just some cash.
#4, if you are able bodied, get a job. See #3

I will be judged harshly for my words but this is the only realistic solution left. Throwing money at it does not work.

·
Registered
18,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The solution... not an easy one but the first thing is to get the government out of the charity business

I agree 1000% with this but I realize it’s not likely to happen. Govt has claws in deep and know they can ride that tractor and grow richer while pretending to offer solutions.

Case in point:

Currently, city council members are considering a proposal that would house 1,000 homeless people living in the Bay Area on a cruise ship. The idea was introduced by City Council President Rebecca Kaplan who said her plan "could be a great way to house a lot of people quickly" and added that "cruise ships have been used for emergency housing after natural disasters and for extra housing for things like the Olympics."

Homelessness crisis: From houseboats to boulders, unconventional methods used to tackle problem in 2019

https://www.foxnews.com/us/year-in-review-homelessness-crisis-unconventional

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

·
Super Moderator wearing a Cape
3,649 Posts
I read that article about the cruise ships. WTF are they smoking down there. They are just trying to "ship" their problem elsewhere. Much like the free bus tickets to other cities that some places offer. Its just kicking the can down the road. And again, who foots the bill?

Sorry if I rant, this is going on up in Washington State as well and their solution is throw money at it (somebody else's money of course).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have some reports on homelessness and it is multiple issues you have all brought up. Poverty, drugs, mental illnesses, and then some that just enjoy the freedom it brings. Read an article on one guy that had family to stay with but enjoyed the homeless life style. Think of the show that was once out there about the guy living in the woods in Oregon. He loved it and so did his friends.

The ones making money panhandling are usually not homeless, just scam artists that people keep giving money to. Around here there are Facebook pages to point them out to everyone and their scam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I agree 1000% with this but I realize it’s not likely to happen. Govt has claws in deep and know they can ride that tractor and grow richer while pretending to offer solutions.

Case in point:

Currently, city council members are considering a proposal that would house 1,000 homeless people living in the Bay Area on a cruise ship.
http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.
Great idea! There's very little.market for old cruise ships.

Strip it down, load it up, tow it past the 12 mile marker and sink it!

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
As far as affordable housing and rent control , It doesnt matter how low the rent or the price of the house, HOW???? are these homeless people going to pay for their LOW INCOME HOUSING, they dont have JOBS, and in seattle when the city does move these camps , they offer $14.00 an hour for those homeless to help clean up the garbage needle infested site, that they trashed, and according to the news none of them help they just load up their stolen shopping carts and their stolen bike and everything else they have stolen and head to another site to do th4e same thing. I have no sympathy for these people, IMO dont feed them dont give them money, when they get hungry give them a shovel to clean up the putrid mess they mak, then give them some MRE,s JMO

·
Registered
8,426 Posts
There is a solution , it is to genteel for some folks UN Progressive Communist sensibilities , unless of course they have a # conversation with their doctor first. And of course ole Genghis Khan had some ideas about large urban areas as well. JMHO and S/FI!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
You could solve the homeless problem (without killing them) but you would probably be violating multiple personal rights and living conditions would be consider unacceptable by the media.

In the past there was the community farm/poor house where orphans and widows could live and work for food/shelter. Restart those where it is half prison/half work camp. Have them do some sort of grunt labor to fund itself or subsidize the cost.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
You could solve the homeless problem (without killing them) but you would probably be violating multiple personal rights and living conditions would be consider unacceptable by the media.

In the past there was the community farm/poor house where orphans and widows could live and work for food/shelter. Restart those where it is half prison/half work camp. Have them do some sort of grunt labor to fund itself or subsidize the cost.
Wouldn't be a violation of personal rights if it was a sentence for a crime.
Particularly if it was for multiple offenses.

(Your cited for vagrancy. Used to happen if you didn't have a couple $ back when you could live on $1/day)

You could issue a warning, and not cite anyone till 24+ hours later.

if they are in town 24+ hours after their warning.... THEN run them in.

This should stand up in court.

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
Easily solvable.
Eliminate the stupid codes for rental units.

Swipe of the pen, housing costs lowered.
It's that simple.
That is complete and utter BS. Homelessness as the thing we see nowadays has very little to do with being broke, or not having any access to a home

The whole homeless problem is caused by zoning and building codes.
Eliminate those and your problem disappears.
No, it won’t. Very few of those people can or will hold down any sort of job, so they can’t pay for ANYTHING, no matter how easy or cheap it is.

Even if you made it free, most of them wouldn’t, or couldn’t, stay in it. Many of them aren’t just out of work...they are out of their minds. Many of the rest are so addicted to the “lifestyle”, they need it like a drug. And the rest are on drugs. Or need to be, but aren’t.

·
Banned
378 Posts
Drugs, drugs, drugs, drugs. Between meth and that crazy stuff the drug companies are pumping out like M&Ms, if you have the right brain chemistry, one hit or pill and eventually you'll either be hooking or robbing people. In a northern rural county in my home state, the sheriff was interviewed because he had reported that the county jail was at almost 150% capacity, and he said that 98% of the convicts were there because of meth or prescription drugs. I live in a rural county that makes Mayberry look like a big city, and we just had to build a new "Justice Center" because there's no room for the meth heads and pill heads in the old jail. Up until about ten years ago, if the jail got crowded, we'd ship a few prisoners to one of the surrounding county jails, but now they're all full of meth heads and pill heads.
You want to lock these people up? Call your local sheriff and ask him how much space he's got open in the county jail. Most likely there's some kind of "drug court" set up that allows the homeless druggies to stay out of jail as long as they can come up with $1000 to pay for the process.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts