Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I might try my first story so be easy on me. Spent a few years homeless in NY but haven't been back there for like 10yrs so I imagine alot has changed. And I did horrible in English class so you have been warned. Gonna be kinda like a fictional diary I guess.
Gonna be a long story since I'm having fun with writing it so if your following be prepared.

Well it been a long tour in Iraq but to be going home back to Tulsa Oklahoma I am so excited. It been a long deployment with the wife leaving me and my kids not wanting to talk to me over the phone but home sounds really good. Atleast I was able to grab a first class seat on the way back I guess the military does have some advantages. Aside from seeing my kids the second thing on my mind is having a ice cold beer and a shot. Luckily I have a hot chick bringing me drinks.

Not to long of a flight to Germany after not smoking for almost a year and working out everyday I can't wait to smoke a cigarrette. Think I might lay out in the grass for awhile. Amazingly Germany in April is freakin cold. Glad I brought a jacket. Guess it better than a 100 degrees+ everyday. Next stop Bangor Maine and a few more drinks. Hopefully I'll get another cute stewardess.

Finally back in Tulsa took a military shower in the airport bathroom with a washcloth and the sink. I can't remember the last time I was able to brush my teeth without having to use bottled water. Tragedy, tragedy and more freakin tragedy my ex wouldn't let me see the kids. Not sure what I'm suppose to do now???Guess I can just lose myself in the bottle like before I left for that garbage of a country. Not sure what I will do with myself the ex spent the majority of the money I made deployed, can't see my kids kicked out of the National Guard and I hardly think my ex father in law will let me go back to work for him.

Guess there only one thing to do get a one way bus ticket to NYC and just say screw Oklahoma I'm never going back.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well after almost two days on Greyhound I finally get to see the Big Apple. I must say Port Authority bus terminal in Manhattan is not as bad as I thought it would be. Question is after cleaning up a little bit in the bus terminal bathroom since it 0300 Eastern time should I wait a bit to go out and see the city. Well the security answered that question for me right away by kicking me out of the terminal. What else could go worse first the bus losses one of my bags and now this???Least I still got most of my military gear hope they don't want that back lol. To bad they wouldn't let me keep my m4 it would have came in real handy in NY. Hopefully like the rest of the country is thinking that we are going into some kind of economic collapse will atleast wait till I can find a job.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well my main problem now is I don't know where to put the stuff I have left at so I can go look for a job. I decided to take a walk down Eighth Av towards a park I heard about Washington Square from some of the prostitutes and whatnot that were outside the terminal they said I might be able to find some kind of restaurant job down by there guess it worth a shot. I've been a cook before so that might work out. I figure I will rent one night in a motel since that about all the cash I have left so I can try to scout out a place to stash my stuff temporarily. I know alot of people live down in the subway system and hopefully I can find some kind of hole to stash it in.

It about 0730 now and I managed to get a room for two nights and take a shower and was it ever awesome. No 3min combat shower here think I took a 45 min shower. After getting a coffee, cigs and a butter roll with the rest of my cash I decided it mission time. First priority find a hole to stash my stuff in permanently and get a supply of cash coming in. After getting harassed in the park by the Jamaicans who were out there selling pot and thought I was moving on there turf I decided to get out of there. Luckily I had my Kabar with me. Guess next stop the subway station.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow I think I know what rush hour is now it was freakin crazy. I got on the A train thinking I was heading farther downtown and went the wrong way and ended up at Dekalb Av in Brooklyn. After the station got a little less busy I ran down into the subways hoping to avoid any incoming trains or outgoing. It was alot bigger than I thought but I looked around and couldn't find any signs of anyone else staying down there. After exploring along the walls for any kind of storage lockers or whatnot I found something promising. It was a room that had two solid doors that were open and a ladder going down to a room that look liked someone had been there before with some old soup cans and beer bottles laying on the floor. The only thing I could think of was look at the expiration dates and see how old they were. Most of them were to filthy from the subway black dust and I could not make them out but the ones I could were 3 yr past there expiration date. I think this might be perfect so I put my foot locker lock on the door and headed out. I made my way back up to the subway platform without anyone noticing me climbing up there. A train came in from Manhattan and alot of people got off and looked at me like I was crazy. I looked down at myself covered in subway dust and wiped my face and it was all over me. Guess I just got my first taste of what it feels like to be homeless.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well guess I will head back to the motel and take a shower no telling how many I will get after these two days are up. After I shower up I want to find Tompkins Square Park another spot the prostitutes in Hells Kitchen told me about. It 1430 now and some chick just threw half of a slice of pizza in the trash and I snatched it up. Amazingly how wasteful people are. After my half a slice I went out in the park to watch the Puerto Ricans playing soccer and kicked the hackysack around a little bit. Saw some Asians doing Tai Chi in the park and watched them for awhile aswell. It amazing how much you see when you just sit back and watch things for awhile.

Some punk rockers in the park that I was talking to about there pit bulls invited me back to there squat for some beers. It was pretty cool to see how generous some people were that lives were even worse than mine were. Guess there is some hope for this country after all. Or maybe the homeless people are like alot of survivalists just with more personal problems. I got a couple ideas for making money from them if I can't find a job. I want to avoid being the typical homeless person bumming money off people or living of welfare and try to make it till I find a permanent place to stay. One of the guys told me on eighth av there is a employment agency that pays by the day for dishwashers and porters and whatnot. One of the guys was ex military aswell and invited me to crash there if I couldn't find anything aswell. They said with the unemployment like it is now that the cops are locking up any people they find loitering on the street. I had no idea from being in the desert that the numbers had jumped to 38% after the healthcare bill got passed and China started making there threats. Think after 2 days in the hotel assuming I can get more money I will start stocking my locker in the subways with as much food as I can.

I decided to part from the new friends and stop messing around and get on the money hunt. I decided to stroll down 14th st along all the businesses but was shocked to see how many people with signs in there window going out of business. I cut off into a residential area and found a family with a moving truck in a rush and asked if they needed help and after we were done they gave me a $50 for helping them and decided I needed to hold on to this money. Started getting late about this time and decided I had enough and just wanted to sleep in my real hotel bed for a night. Bought a hotplate since I figured the subway would still have power for awhile and I could just plug in into one of the many outlets I saw down there and atleast have something to cook on. Also picked up two bags of ramen noodles and some candles and headed to the hotel.

(Sorry for all the bumps I'm just writing as it comes to me.)

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
keep on going you earned that right over in the desert thank you for your service
i know too many soldiers that came back thinking they had money and the women in thier life had spend it and filed for divorce but i find the story interesting so keep on
going
I appreciate it and I appreciate the people who sent me messages but like I said this is purely fictional. I have a house and kids still live with me. Pure fiction.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well after a horrible night of sleep I got up at 0300 and headed to the employment service the people told me about. Interesting how they operate they told me all of there work is off the books. I said sign me up! Well anyway they sent me to a deli on 5th av to wash dishes from 6-6. The Arab guy that owned the place told me it was 60hr a week for $300 and I could make some tips when I bus tables. I guess this will have to work for now. Also one of the cooks told me some gang called Machete Slaughter killed a famous rap star the night before at a nightclub. A bunch of them pulled out machetes and just chopped the guy to pieces supposedly there alot of race problems going on with the South Americans and the blacks. I will definitely have to keep a eye on this. I decided to move my stuff down to the subway tunnel and then head straight back to my room. Today I made my $50 plus about $5 in tips and bought some more food.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after a very bad night of sleep with my neighbor and his friend being loud I tried to call the desk to complain and of course the phone didn't work so I headed down to the front desk and there was a prostitute there and her trick who were renting a room for a hour so I figured screw it I'm outta this place and off to work. Asked the guys at work if anything weird happened since the race problems and they said a few molotav cocktails were scattered through Spanish Harlem the night before and a few murders but nothing real crazy. Made $57 today and bought a campstove, a few propane bottles, matches, more candles, a Brita water pitcher some more food and took it down to my hole. Along the way I saw someone taking some gallon jugs out to the trash and asked for them and took them down aswell. After stashing my stuff I decided to head to the East River and see if anyone was fishing but it was dark so I got a few hours of sleep.

This morning when I woke up freezing I wished I would have brought my military sleep system with me but figured I would look homeless caring that around the city and decided it should stay down in my hole. At work today heard there were 22 more murders the night before. After work I took my cash and headed to the new Yankee stadium to try to catch a game but with a days work couldn't afford a ticket. Outside the stadium I found a camera bag with a Sony camera in it and as much as I hated to I kept it figuring someone else would get it if I didn't. I did check to see if it had anyone name or address in it though.

I decided I would hold of on the supply buying and just go hang out in the park for awhile ended up having a few beers in the park. I ended up trading away the camera for a Hipoint 40 with a extra clip. Now I just need to find some shells. Decided to sleep in the park till it closed at midnight knew it would be risky but I was beat. Woke up to someone trying to jimmy my assault pack from under my head. I pulled the Kabar and offered that instead but he declined. Oh well can't please them all. Decided after that to just walk around till it was time to go to work. Not much news from the illegals at work today except for a few more murders in Harlem and Spanish Harlem. I guess one of them were one of the leaders of the Latin Kings.

I must say as glad as I am that it Saturday and I have tomorrow off although I could really use the extra money. Picked up some toiletries,trashbags, cleaning supplies, a machete, 2 boxes of ammo, a hammock to stay off the subway ground, 550 cord, a drill, hammer, nails, a new camelpak, screws and 4 2*4. Headed to my hole determined to clean it up some and set up my hammock. Grabbed a pile of newspaper I saw on the way aswell.

·
Super Duper Moderator. I'm helping!
9,767 Posts
keep on going you earned that right over in the desert thank you for your service
i know too many soldiers that came back thinking they had money and the women in thier life had spend it and filed for divorce but i find the story interesting so keep on
going
I have a friend this happened to. How some women can be so ungrateful to a good man is beyond me ...

I appreciate it and I appreciate the people who sent me messages but like I said this is purely fictional. I have a house and kids still live with me. Pure fiction.
I have to admit, you had me going there for a minute, even though you said from the start it was fiction. Good story! Your Creative Writing teacher would be proud because it "feels true"!

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well got a early morning start today didnt sleep to well. Decided to scout out my new area and found a area that had alot of large beams and whatnot that I could get a good workout on and practice some climbing stuff. Then I explored a little more and found a abandoned subway station close to my hole and found a new hole. Surprisingly I met someone down there his name was Chris. He was in his fifties I think and said he been living down here for over 15 yrs. He said he use to be the head zookeeper at the Bronx Zoo and worked in a pharmacy aswell but had a problem with prescription drugs. Said he been training in kung fu for over 40 years and showed me a few things. I was extremely surprised how limber and how much balance he had. We sparred for a bit and he threw a front kick that caught me good. He said he could show me a few ways to make money.

We went down into one of his lockers and he handed me about 30 books and said I could sell them and he grabbed a bunch aswell. We decided to head to NYU to try to sell them. On the way there I was walking by a trash can that had a leather jacket on it that was a little to preppy looking for me so I decided to try to sell it aswell. At NYU I ended up making over a $100 on the books and kept one about indoor gardening. Later in the afternoon I sold the jacket I found on the trash bin for $50. Still think it was worth more but it gave me the money I needed for my shopping list. Did a little shopping after Chris and I parted ways till later I went and got some grow lights, extention cords, some gardening seed(not sure if this is gonna work in the subway but Chris told me he saw some pot growing in another tunnel so I figured it was worth a shot) hangers to keep my clothes of the ground, 2 cans of breakfree, a sharpening stone, some sprouting jars and some more cans of food.

For all my cooking in the hole I am using my hotplate so I can save my propane in case I need it. But I did want to fire up the stove just for a test run and made a can of soup and had some crackers. I found a large staff that I have been whittling on for a spear. I have seen alot of large rats around my area and since I don't have a 22 nor do I want to shoot my firearm in the subway at this time and figured a large spear would come in real handy. Hope it doesn't come down to eating rats.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry been really busy with school and work. Sorry the Iceland volcano gave me a idea.

Well headed to work today and surprised to hear over Europe the air traffic was suspended. Guess a major volcano erupted in Iceland and a volcanologist was saying there was another one that was on the brink of erupting and that air traffic could be suspended for a really long time. Well in other news there were alot of murders in Harlem, the Bronx, Brooklyn and of all other places LA. The last one kinda threw me for a loop but I guess war has been declared between the gangs all across the country. I haven't really seen any effects of it yet but I also heard a hospital in Harlem was completely taken over by a Central American gang but order was soon restored. The president was on the news asking for a truce between the gangs.

He also said that there was dialogue with China for some of Alaska oil rights to help pay back the deficit. The only other thing I heard was California was not going to be able to pay there state workers and welfare recipients for the next month. As far as my day went I made over $70 and got my last military check from my deployment and went around looking to rent a room for awhile. Also thought about getting a van incase I have to bug out of the city. I was shocked over the security deposit fees and rent prices in general. Guess I should have researched a little more before I came here. Oh well picked up some more food, toiletries and a few buckets I found next to a trash bin. Decided to crash early now that I'm kinda getting used to sleeping down here.

I woke up early today and ran into Chris coming out of my hole who was headed to his and he was really drunk. I asked him if everything was okay and he said that a African-American religious leader in the Bronx was killed the night before and cops were out everywhere. Figured I would still head to work since it in the middle of Manhattan and was pretty safe. Saw a fight almost break out between a black guy and a Puerto Rican on the subway and just tried to keep my head down. Weird seeing two guys in suits about to go at it when I thought it was strictly a gang problem. Got to work and the cooks just said after the preacher was murdered alot of shootings happened but said that kinda stuff would probably end soon. Guess the president was on the news again asking for people to keep the peace. From what I heard the problems hit Chicago the night before aswell. Also said the Chinese govt was in DC for the talks now over the oil in Alaska and paying back on our debt. The president said sometimes you have to give up things to pay off your debt which made me a little nervous.

Decided to just head back to my hole after work today after I picked up a little radio that I could plug in, wind up or put batteries in and got a 25lb bag of rice. It was weird when I was stepping of the platform I ran into Chris who said when he was headed down the stairs the subway token lady had left a basket for me that had some food in it and a few other things. I decided to run up there and say thanks but no thanks I'm perfectly good but I guess the nice lady had left. The guy who was working told me her name was Zuzana and she would be back later but was on vacation for the next week. Darn the luck. Decided after that just to head down and listen to the radio a little and get some sleep.

·
Free Born
2,446 Posts
It's not bad man, you will get better with grammer and spelling as you go. I like the story line so far, I'm just getting into writing fiction my self, it gets addicting to write and read all the fiction offerd by all the wonderful authors here. Keep up the good work!

Oh and by the way, that first chapter when he took a field shower in the airport bathroom, I laughed so hard because that was the exact thing I had done when flying back after I had ETS'd home.

Reactions: shawn
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.