Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever shoot wood logs? Wood is a good bullet catcher.
Find a big tree trunk, cut 3' stumps out, then set them upright and cut downward 3" thick slabs, when you're finished you should have a nice square 2" to 4" thick 3' or so high block of wood with the grain running down the wood and curving toward the outside through the thickness of it( to prevent splitting from high impact). Attach some leather straps with hefty wood screws, make a view slit in the top with a chainsaw or a rifle hole, make some retrachable standing legs for it so you can set it down and it will stand upright on it's own. Let it season for 3 months or so to reduce water weight to probably 40lbs or so depending on wood(hickory and oak are the hardest). Ideally a curved sheild that conforms to the shape of the trunk would be better at resisting bullet penetration because the bullet has to pass directly against the most wood grains and the more rings the better, the same principle as chopping wood it's much easier to chop with the grain than hitting logs from the side. If you want to make one and get all scientific about it you'd want to test out the penetrating ability of various bullets fired against various logs of various wood types with different grain structures and densities and such just so you really see it with your own eyes and understand it in case you really needed to use such a thing. Also a thin steel wrap screwed onto the face of the sheild made from car scraps or whatever you can find wouldn't add much more weight and probably flatten out lead and copper bullets just enough before wood impact to increse the resistance to penetration by maybe 3x or more- imagine trying to split wood with a hammer and you get the idea.
The benefits of this type of bullet resistive armor is great, it's really cheap, portable, customizable, can sheild up to 99% of the you, weighs about as much as thousands of dollars of standard body armor that sheilds less of you, and it's cheap.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think a better idea might be to fashion it into a rectangular box, approximately 2' x 3' x 6'. The top/front of the shield could incorporate a hinged door for easy ingress. Decorative padding could be added inside for comfort.

It wouldn't protect you any better, but it would ease the financial burden on your family when the time comes to bury you. :)

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think a better idea might be to fashion it into a rectangular box, approximately 2' x 3' x 6'. The top/front of the shield could incorporate a hinged door for easy ingress. Decorative padding could be added inside for comfort.

It wouldn't protect you any better, but it would ease the financial burden on your family when the time comes to bury you. :)
haha, nice

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I watched this video, a lot depends on the wood used also, I don't know what kind of wood this is, it looks like some old crappy pine blocks which would be the least dense wood, but i would have liked to see if the ak steel points went threw both blocks fired in the middle because on the edge of the wood it's going to be easier to penetrate.

I did some testing on a 303 british round hollow point( slightly smaller than the 308) fired at point blank range will penentrate 3" of red OAK log no problem, but starts to have problems and seldom 4", or have lost enough velocity to be far less lethal. I would guess at 100 yards such a round wouldn't penetrate a 4" block of oak, unless it's a steel point. I didn't have any steel armor peircing points which of course would eat right threw it unless you had some steel cover on it to hopefully mushroom out the round.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here's another table I found using plywood which is also not as dense as oak.
Note the "fmj" ammo is steel point or full metal jacket.
Here ya go:

BULLET PENETRATION TABLE - INCH'S PLYWOOD (test blocks made up of half inch
boards)

.380 ACP (9mmK) Inches

95 grain FMJ 1.8"
85 grain Silvertip 0.9"

.38 Special Inches

158 grain SWC 2.3"
125 grain JHP +P 1.7"
110 grain SJHP +P 1.4"
158 grain SWC-HP +P 1.3"

9mm Parabellum Inches

123 grain FMJ 4.4"
115 grain JHP +P+ 3.0"
115 grain JHP 2.7"
115 grain Silvertip 2.5"
124 grain Nyclad 2.3"
147 grain JHP 2.0"
80 grain Glaser 2.0"
140 grain SJHP 1.7"

.357 Magnum Inches

158 grain SWC 4.0"
145 grain Silvertip 3.0"
125 grain SJHP 2.5"
158 grain JHP 2.2"
110 grain SJHP 1.8"

.41 Magnum Inches

210 grain JSP 3.4"
175 grain Silvertip 3.0"

.44 Magnum Inches

185 grain JHP 3.7"
240 grain JHP 2.9"
233 grain Shot Shell 2.3"

.45 ACP Inches

230 grain FMJ 2.8"
200 grain JHP 2.4"
185 grain JHP 2.4"
185 grain Silvertip 1.7"
135 grain Glaser 1.3"

12 Gauge Shotgun Inches

1oz Slug 3.5"
00 Copper Shot 2.1"
000 Shot (LG) 2.1"
00 Shot (SSG) 1.9"
0 Shot 1.6"
No. 1 Shot 1.4"
No. 4 Shot 1.2"
No. 7 Shot 0.5"

·
Last of the First Line
864 Posts
Hey - if you want to take a chance with wood "bullet proof" armor, be my guest.
You can quote all the numbers you want, make up all the scenarios you want - but wood isn't going to stop ****, and I wouldn't trust it.

Why aren't cops walking around with forests in their vests?

And I'd question those numbers anyways... 147 grain JHP 2.0" and 80 grain Glaser 2.0"

Aren't Glasers supposed to be frangible bullets? You'd think they'd penetrate a lot less than a JHP with almost double the weight.

·
Registered
80 Posts

LMAO, LOL, this is the funniest thing iv read in ages!! :D:

wood as bullet proof armour!! seriously mate.......... i dont even know what to say im so upset.... lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
We have hauled all kinds of stuff to the range for fun and found that bullets go through damn near everything. 1/2 plate steel at 60 yards turns pistol rounds but 223 went through like butter (nice clean hole). 30-06 220 grain rounds went through five inch bullet proof glass at 100 yards with ease but turned 223 penetrators.

car & truck doors, refrigerators, appliances, pressure tanks, no problemo.. what you see on tv is BS.

Might I suggest the following: make a mold of your body with plaster (female mold), then cast a "plug" (male mold) with fiberglass then spray on ten coats of Rhinoliner. This will stop a BB... maybe more, send us the video!

The best way to avoid being shot is to not become a target....

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ever shoot wood logs? Wood is a good bullet catcher.
Find a big tree trunk, cut 3' stumps out, then set them upright and cut downward 3" thick slabs, when you're finished you should have a nice square 2" to 4" thick 3' or so high block of wood with the grain running down the wood and curving toward the outside through the thickness of it( to prevent splitting from high impact). Attach some leather straps with hefty wood screws, make a view slit in the top with a chainsaw or a rifle hole, make some retrachable standing legs for it so you can set it down and it will stand upright on it's own. Let it season for 3 months or so to reduce water weight to probably 40lbs or so depending on wood(hickory and oak are the hardest). Ideally a curved sheild that conforms to the shape of the trunk would be better at resisting bullet penetration because the bullet has to pass directly against the most wood grains and the more rings the better, the same principle as chopping wood it's much easier to chop with the grain than hitting logs from the side. If you want to make one and get all scientific about it you'd want to test out the penetrating ability of various bullets fired against various logs of various wood types with different grain structures and densities and such just so you really see it with your own eyes and understand it in case you really needed to use such a thing. Also a thin steel wrap screwed onto the face of the sheild made from car scraps or whatever you can find wouldn't add much more weight and probably flatten out lead and copper bullets just enough before wood impact to increse the resistance to penetration by maybe 3x or more- imagine trying to split wood with a hammer and you get the idea.
The benefits of this type of bullet resistive armor is great, it's really cheap, portable, customizable, can sheild up to 99% of the you, weighs about as much as thousands of dollars of standard body armor that sheilds less of you, and it's cheap.
An even better design would be to make it about a 2' x 6' rectangular cube. Maybe even put a lid on it. This way when you are behind it and someone shoots at you, they can simply bury you in it.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
Here's another table I found using plywood which is also not as dense as oak.
Note the "fmj" ammo is steel point or full metal jacket.
Here ya go:

BULLET PENETRATION TABLE - INCH'S PLYWOOD (test blocks made up of half inch
boards)

.380 ACP (9mmK) Inches

95 grain FMJ 1.8"
85 grain Silvertip 0.9"

.38 Special Inches

158 grain SWC 2.3"
125 grain JHP +P 1.7"
110 grain SJHP +P 1.4"
158 grain SWC-HP +P 1.3"

9mm Parabellum Inches

123 grain FMJ 4.4"
115 grain JHP +P+ 3.0"
115 grain JHP 2.7"
115 grain Silvertip 2.5"
124 grain Nyclad 2.3"
147 grain JHP 2.0"
80 grain Glaser 2.0"
140 grain SJHP 1.7"

.357 Magnum Inches

158 grain SWC 4.0"
145 grain Silvertip 3.0"
125 grain SJHP 2.5"
158 grain JHP 2.2"
110 grain SJHP 1.8"

.41 Magnum Inches

210 grain JSP 3.4"
175 grain Silvertip 3.0"

.44 Magnum Inches

185 grain JHP 3.7"
240 grain JHP 2.9"
233 grain Shot Shell 2.3"

.45 ACP Inches

230 grain FMJ 2.8"
200 grain JHP 2.4"
185 grain JHP 2.4"
185 grain Silvertip 1.7"
135 grain Glaser 1.3"

12 Gauge Shotgun Inches

1oz Slug 3.5"
00 Copper Shot 2.1"
000 Shot (LG) 2.1"
00 Shot (SSG) 1.9"
0 Shot 1.6"
No. 1 Shot 1.4"
No. 4 Shot 1.2"
No. 7 Shot 0.5"
This is false, I don't know where you got it, but for God's sake, don't bet your life on it! Just 2 weeks ago, I was zeroing my Mauser at 100 yards. I was shooting at a paper target stapled to an un-shot 2'X2' peice of 2inch plywood. (two 1 in peices screwed together.) After getting ol' bess zeroed, I took 10 aimed shots at it with my 10/22 just to see what kind of group I could wring out of it with Thunderbolts at 100 yards. Just for the fun of it, I also shot 10 rounds out of my CZ82 at it. Wolf FMJ 9x18. I went down to retrieve the target and couldn't believe my eyes. The group with my 10/22 was not impressive but I was shocked that all 10 rounds had COMPLETELY penetrated the wood at 100 yards! Little entry hole, and a ragged exit. Equally shocking was the CZ82: 1)At 100 yards, I actually hit the 4 footx2 foot target 3 times out of ten. No hold over really, maybe an inch. Strange! The 3 rounds that hit PASSED COMPLETELY THROUGH the wood at 100 yards! I saved it to show people. It's crazy. Of course, the Mauser shot through it like nothing, those holes are easy to pick out.

·
Bail me out
398 Posts
hey it always worked in the old cowboy movies.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts