Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prepper Ed's question, as a new thread in regard to the current outbreak of
the Wuhan CoronaVirus.

"Can any medical professionals comment on primitive treatments for pneumonia-like symptoms?

Let's assume the hospitals are full and all the respirators are in use so people have to treat themselves. Do OTC anti-mucus medicines help? Would positioning the patient at a 45 deg downward angle for a period of time help to drain the lungs?"

Other ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Sounds like some bad mojo
Inversion seems like a bad idea
Once I get bronchitis, I pull out all the stops
To answer the question, Elderberries/extracts, hydration, and Prayer in reverse order
Would like to hear from physicians, as this is a not uncommon situation

·
A marathon not a sprint
4,367 Posts
I just had pneumonia last week and wished I had had manuka honey on hand but I had real local honey , lots of licorice tea, some clear home made chicken soup . Breathing in the vapour from hot tea helped too . I really wished I had ginger on hand to make chai but my well meaning helpers threw it out in the garbage . No antibiotics since we were snowed in . I wished I had called for help at least a day earlier but waited until I thought I would die trying to lug buckets out in snow and subzero temps to feed the animals. By the time I got help I thought I would end up hospitalized if I hiked out to where a vehicle could drive so stayed home slept by the fire when I was too weak to make it upstairs. Get lots of rest to prevent it and lots of rest if you have it . Neigbours hiked in and cared for my animals and brought me cough syrup with codeine in it , ginger gravol tablets , and benedryl cold and flu capsules . Ate apple slices with cinnamon , frozen blueberries and frozen mango cubes, and spinach salad ( with cashews, cranberry, sunflower seeds, feta cheese and raspberry vinnegrete dressing), a few tablespoons of sockeye salmon while recovering ( and basically still recovering as today is my first day without hired help to do farm chores ) . Was sick a total of 12 days, went to doctors day 11 , lab work came back perfect today day 14. Coconut oil on cracked lips was of marginal help .

I got it being trapped in the barn one night too late, wet and cold as my dog was alerting there was a big cat, and not eating or sleeping well beforehand , after that I went to town and would be exposed getting groceries so the entire thing could have been prevented had I been more diligent in the first place and was not trying to snow blow an impossibly long driveway of wet snow with a fever . I am definitely adding hand sanitizer in my vehicle and debating the oddity of wearing a facemask or scarf over my mouth and nose out in public because I have zero intent to have that again without taking the lesson from this time . Asians are the only people I have seen wear face masks and I am thinking they are smart to.

·
reluctant sinner
16,989 Posts
I think a better plan is to work on not catching it. Stay away from people. If you have to deal with people the a good mask and eye protection. Keep you hands clean before removing your gear, then wash them again.

Yes gravity will help. So will cupping. You still need to cough that crud out. O2 can help dry the lungs. Before you lay down to sleep - take 10 of the biggest breaths you can; all the air in and out you can manage.

Goldenseal. Colloidal silver snorted.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,728 Posts
Sounds like some bad mojo
Inversion seems like a bad idea
Once I get bronchitis, I pull out all the stops
To answer the question, Elderberries/extracts, hydration, and Prayer in reverse order
Would like to hear from physicians, as this is a not uncommon situation
Been wondering about the Elderberries myself, i've got some dried Eldeberries and just haven't gotten around to making some Elderberry syrup, guess i'll be doing that today or tommorow, get my can of Lysol out, have some Gatorade packets for hydration in case I need it and most definitely do some praying.

·
Super Moderator
CRAP CREEK SURVIVOR
2,334 Posts
This has the potential of being a great thread! (hattip to Prepper Ed and Justme11!)

Because all of us do not know the credentials of anyone on here (It's an internet forum!), it would be helpful to back up stated facts with credible links, especially if they are not common knowledge.

This is a serious topic and misunderstandings, misprints, and personal misinterpretation can creep in if we are not careful.

Personal anecdotes can be useful, but readers should research things before adopting them into their own healthcare regimen.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
Because all of us do not know the credentials of anyone on here (It's an internet forum!), it would be helpful to back up stated facts with credible links, especially if they are not common knowledge.

Meh. I do that as many others do but you still get attacked cause they don't like the "hate facts" you post & they have a friend whose cat was groomed by a friend of their cousins girlfriend who said blah blah blah, so they "know" the real story.

·
Registered
34,359 Posts
Comfrey (cough, throat, runs)

Mullein (This will probably be the "go to" it's called "Cowboy TP" because it's leaves (which you make tea from to deal with mucus/respiratory infections) are available year round and it's very prolific

I understand lobelia (you smoke it) works too, but Mullen is always there...

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,728 Posts
FYI, got to thinking about electrolytes and decided to check Amazon.

They have something called DripDrop ORS.
3x the electrolytes & ½ The sugar of sports drinks - Formulated to treat dehydration relief Fast without the sugar and stickiness of traditional sports drinks. Precise ratio of electrolytes and glucose activates the body’s sodium-glucose co-transport system.

Makes 16 8 oz servings, comes out to abt $1.25 a serving. That's about the same for a soda pop. That is if you have Amazon Prime and don't have to worry about shipping.

Just thought this might be something some of you might be interested in. And yes, I got some because I really don't care for Gatorade.

https://www.amazon.com/DripDrop-ORS...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

·
Registered
34,359 Posts
Rehydration:

"Grunt Gatorade" is a couple salt and sugar packets from your MRE'S into a 1 quart canteen and chug. (Same electrolytes, just not as tasty)
I store a couple flats of Gatorade too, but 1/2 the recommended mix is plenty, athletes have actually had trouble drinking full strength Gatorade and not + water.

what I'm posting is pretty basic and you can Google it now that I've written it.

If the patient can't keep anything down:

You take a camelback, cut off the bite valve, and (if your nice) apply lube, and give them the "silver bullet"

Your intestine absorbs water faster than it'll get into your bloodstream from drinking it. (You can look up people getting drunk this way.)

Use THEIR camelback!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Been wondering about the Elderberries myself,
How elderberry helps fight infection by increasing TNF-α production: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11399518

Production of inflammatory cytokines (IL-1 beta, TNF-alpha, IL-6, IL-8) was significantly increased, mostly by the Sambucol Black Elderberry Extract (2-45 fold), as compared to LPS, a known monocyte activator (3.6-10.7 fold). The most striking increase was noted in TNF-alpha production (44.9 fold). We conclude from this study that, in addition to its antiviral properties, Sambucol Elderberry Extract and its formulations activate the healthy immune system by increasing inflammatory cytokine production.
How the SARS Coronavirus, and possibly the Novel Coronavirus, kills: https://europepmc.org/article/med/16385373

The 8 patients who died tended to have higher peak levels of serum TNF-alpha compared to those who survived (14 vs 9.1 pg/mL; p = 0.06). Rapid elevation of inflammatory cytokines-IL-6, IL-8 and TNF-alpha might play a role in the development of SARS-related ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome). The timing of elevations in inflammatory cytokines and CRP is correlated with progression of pulmonary infiltrates of SARS patients. The peak level of serum TNF-alpha tends to be higher in patients who die of SARS than in those who survive.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Rehydration:

"Grunt Gatorade" is a couple salt and sugar packets from your MRE'S into a 1 quart canteen and chug. (Same electrolytes, just not as tasty)
I store a couple flats of Gatorade too, but 1/2 the recommended mix is plenty, athletes have actually had trouble drinking full strength Gatorade and not + water.

what I'm posting is pretty basic and you can Google it now that I've written it.

If the patient can't keep anything down:

You take a camelback, cut off the bite valve, and (if your nice) apply lube, and give them the "silver bullet"

Your intestine absorbs water faster than it'll get into your bloodstream from drinking it. (You can look up people getting drunk this way.)

Use THEIR camelback!!!
Salt and water yes, but sugar? Sugar dehydrates you iirc.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts

·
Registered
34,359 Posts
Salt and water yes, but sugar? Sugar dehydrates you iirc.

Damn Army. I give you the basics and tell you to look it up for yourself and you STILL want to be spoon fed.

Fine, here:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/312098-how-oral-rehydration-salt-works/

Salt Absorption
The principle behind oral rehydration therapy is simple enough: When a person has diarrhea, fluid moves through their intestines too quickly to be absorbed in the normal fashion. However, the intestines have on their surface a "sodium-glucose cotransporter," a protein that absorbs salt much better in the presence of glucose. Oral rehydration solutions simply provide the right mix of salt, water and glucose so that salt absorption is maximized, say Stephen and Jennifer Freedman in "Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine."

Osmolarity and Fluid Dynamics
What I described has LONG been used by NGO'S and others.
If you'd take 10 seconds to Google vs ask me you would of found many links.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
Damn Army. I give you the basics and tell you to look it up for yourself and you STILL want to be spoon fed.

Fine, here:

https://www.livestrong.com/article/312098-how-oral-rehydration-salt-works/

What I described has LONG been used by NGO'S and others.

If you'd take 10 seconds to Google vs ask me you would of found many links.
Lol, was just a comment, relax. I average a nutritional podcast a day, I'm human, not a huge deal if I'm wrong, wasn't asking for a link, but am under the weather (understatement) and wasn't going to dig into it around the web, was just a comment.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
If you get this cronovirus and the whole grid is down because of it,you will either survive or die. Home remedies wont cut it.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I have Diarrhea, the last thing I need is sugar, which amplifies whatever reaction is occurring that is looking for the exit.

While the sugar no doubt takes advantage of an improved adsorption rate, it won't be inside long enough to matter typically in my case. :)

Everyone is different I guess.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts