Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not necessarily survival-related (unless you count everyday survival), but this seemed like the best place for this thread, so here goes.

After many years of apartment living, I may be moving into a house for the first time. What kind of things should I be looking for in a house from a safety and security standpoint? Things like deadbolt locks, visibility and lighting, points of entry, types of doors and windows, etc.?

·
Registered
678 Posts
if I had to do it over, I would not buy my contempory style home with the large windows, high ceilings and sliding glass doors. I'd look for an older home, built before the 70's that has had the insulation and wiring upgraded.

They tend to have smaller, more defendable doors and windows and you can be sure that chipboard and vinyl are not the main materials! As a bonus, such houses usually sell for less money...

Reactions: joes

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Alarm system, thorn bushes under the windows, motion lights, security screen door, nice neighborhood with good neighbors (get to know your neighbors), open area around front door, fenced yard for a dog.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
Brick walls, metal roof, storm windows, solid core doors, alarm system, not a lot of bushes near windows, flood lights outside with motion sensors, a privacy fence, a backyard big enough to let a dog run around, and as much land between you and the neighbors as you can afford in a gun friendly state.

·
60 yrs in spite of gov.
161 Posts
Motion detectors can be a pain because dogs, ****, deer, etc can set them off. (How do I know this?:() Thorn bushes are good at windows unless you think you may have to exit your own house for some reason. Over the years we have come to rely heavily on dogs and always being within reach of a loaded weapon. Always

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Keep a nice shotgun by your bed.
I've seen cheap dummy secuirty cameras, looks like a camera, but really isnt. Fool the ones who are stupid. ;)

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Neighbors cat sets off your motion lights at 2 a.m.

Lights burn for 5 minutes before turning off.

It is the end of the world...

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,534 Posts
My three Beagles set off my motion detector controled lights all the time. I still have motion detectors and flood lights, at every corner of my house. You can adjust the sensors to avoid the animals by aiming them a little higher.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts